Shop Sheetrock falling.

ghost

So last year had a leaky roof and thought that was why my roof in the shop failed. Apparently not had more fall while I was gone to Harlan. It’s for sale so don’t want to spend a lot of money on it and I really don’t want to hang Sheetrock 12’ in the air. Suggestions? I was thinking thin plywood.
B44CECC8-9767-4A91-9283-03C59343FCC0.jpeg
980124D8-43D7-4B7B-8748-56ED35DE3F59.jpeg

If it's a shop, and the stuff in the rafters isn't terribly unsightly, just rip all the drywall out...

There isn't enough information here to say whether that GWB is part of a rated assembly.

I used Thermoply on mine because it was cheap (like $4 per 4x8 sheet) and white. Found it on Craigslist. It technically could be used as wall sheeting, but houses built like that are the ones that blow over in strong storms.
They have different thicknesses, and what I used was about 3/16" and light enough for one person to easily hold up while someone else screwed it in. I may have even done some by myself, but that was 6 years ago.
Here's a pic of it on the ceiling and a couple leftover pieces leaning against the wall.
0315152017.jpg

Is that black poly sheeting I see above the drywall....?
Apparently there was a wall at that spot at one time. that is plastic but it was behind a piece of paneling.

There isn't enough information here to say whether that GWB is part of a rated assembly.

I have no clue what all that means... GWB?

I used Thermoply on mine because it was cheap (like $4 per 4x8 sheet) and white. Found it on Craigslist. It technically could be used as wall sheeting, but houses built like that are the ones that blow over in strong storms.
They have different thicknesses, and what I used was about 3/16" and light enough for one person to easily hold up while someone else screwed it in. I may have even done some by myself, but that was 6 years ago.
Here's a pic of it on the ceiling and a couple leftover pieces leaning against the wall. View attachment 321622

That is what I was looking for. Something other than sheet rock IF I deiced to fix it.

Be careful as I would guess you have another leak.
Fairly certain that sheet rock was put up in 1966 when this building was built. 90% posative it has just pulled through the screws and fallen apart with it's age. There are no signs of a leak. I'm certain with the rain falling now I'd see some water up there....

IMG_1758[1].JPG

That insulation up there does look old. I assume some sort of blown in stuff.

Here's a pic of it on the ceiling and a couple leftover pieces leaning against the wall. View attachment 321622

My house was sheathed with Thermoply in 1989. Still looks new. It's almost structural, but can hear the house racking in the wind a bit. It's getting gone when I replace the siding and the windows, mostly because I hate it and there's not a single penetration with any air sealing, and you can't attach anything to it. If you used red Thermoply, it's 0.1 inches thick, and the blue is about 0.125 inches (extra stout! :D). The green non-structural is thinner than the red (they're all white on the backside). You should see the shit I had to do for blocking behind it when I started replacing the porch/deck lights.
It actually is a great material for doing closeouts on kneewall/attic insulation, because you can tape the seams like ZIP system, and it's cheaper/easier/lighter than drywall. And it cuts with a utility knife. That's what I like in a structural sheathing; extreme notch sensitivity. Also makes a great floor covering, like Ramboard.

Last edited:
I'm putting 11/32 sheathing on the ceiling of my shop currently. Painting it white outside and hanging it myself. It is a shop so doesn't need to be perfect so since it is light and cheap I just used that. Screw finishing sheetrock with a full shop.

Looks like Lowes no longer carries Thermo Ply local to me. Is it foam board? I guess when I have time I need to go walk the aisle and see what I can come up with. There is no way I'll re sheet rock a roof in that shop. It's heated so I do want to do something before winter. I'm not looking forward to all that insulation coming down either. I'm thinking I'll fix the area that has completely collapsed and see how it goes.

Looks like Lowes no longer carries Thermo Ply local to me. Is it foam board? I guess when I have time I need to go walk the aisle and see what I can come up with. There is no way I'll re sheet rock a roof in that shop. It's heated so I do want to do something before winter. I'm not looking forward to all that insulation coming down either. I'm thinking I'll fix the area that has completely collapsed and see how it goes.
Its more like super dense cardboard. Similar to the tubes they use for fireworks. So clearly its strong enough for house construction if it works for pyrotechnics. :bounce2:

It's not foamboard, no. It's a type of fiberboard, it looks and feels similar to non-tempered Masonite (the light brown type of pegboard for example), but it's different.

Check out your local independent lumber suppliers, or places like 84/BMC/Carter/etc. I know of at least one place around here that carries Thermoply, or at least they had a few pallets full before they moved locations. If you're looking for anything other than the 3 most common types of whatever, Lowe's and HD aren't going to stock whatever it is.

Back