should I import this Mitsubishi Jeep?

BigRedBJ41

here it is... i have little time to act if i decide to do this. it is a 1979 jeep right hand drive made in japan. all original except for the rims and the 2 bucket seats. there is virtually no rust, believe it or not. there is a stock pto wench on the front. the top has no cuts and the visibility is great through the plastic. did i mention that it has the 4DR5 diesel engine(2.659L)? so my questions are... is this worth the headache to import to the US? what would something like this be worth to a jeep "collector" and where could i find the people that would be interested in this? i wish i had a garage because i would just keep it for myself. thanks for your feedback. Jesse.

oh yeah, my BJ41 is on a boat already on its way to SC. i can't wait to pick her up in June.

Attachments

• DSC03316.e.JPG
    DSC03316.e.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 460
Personally, I think it's a kewl rig! Hard for me to call it a Jeep, but still kewl!
If you decide to run greasel in it, free transportation. Excluding the shipping and purchase price that is. Keep us posted when it arrivesd and how it does. I look forward to it!

i think it's freakin awesome, if for no other reason than it's uniqueness.
it's hard to find something that hasn't been done a million times already these days.
my main concern would be availability of parts and a knowledge base of the mechanincs of the thing.
the side mirrors are tripping me out too, hahaha!
we want more pics!!!!

Well it's older than 25 years so I would think that the headaches would be less so for that vehicle than for others. Since it is a Diesel there would be practically no emissions worries. The big thing is safety, I don't think the Fed will allow vehicles that do not meet minimum safety standards for their year of production. Not sure what could be an issue on that but it is something to think about.

Otherwise I think it's cool. ORA had a 2-page article on the Mitsu jeep sometime last year. Someone else has one in the States somewhere.

Heck yea man go for it! A PTO winch?! For sure bring it if you can afford to.

There was one for sale up in King a couple years ago. very limitednumbers ever brought tot he states as I found out. I had pictures of it, don't know where they went now.

Looks like the 3b license that Jeep exported around the world. They make them in india (mahindra) and I believe israel. I'd want to know what kind of axles it had, and if the drivetrain is available.

I'd also post up at earlycj5.com to see if anyone is interested (or knows someone that is).

J

There should be no Fed issues on a '79. Importation can be a challenge for some vehicles. I've brought one vehicle into the states. Domestically it wasn't that big a deal dealing with customs. Just make sure you have all your homework done. On the other end, the folks I bought from handled all the trucking to port and shipping. They had done it before and it made life much easier. Make sure it gets washed well before coming over. You don't want it to hit the shore and customs require it to be washed here. If so, you will pick up the tab.

Back