Should I try it??

junkman

I bought a mid 70 cherokee out of a junkyard to do an engine and axle swap in my cj7. Engine turns free anough and the oil looks like it was changed just last week. The front end was wrecked so it had to be running when it was parked. I started pulling the engine today and upon removing the motor mounts I found a freeze plug gone on both sides of the engine. My question is should I take a chance on the motor being good or not?

IF you cleaned it real good with a brush on a grinder, you could take it to a machine shop and have it magnafluxed. At least the outside anyway. If it doesn't show cracks, replace the freeze plugs and install. Not 100%, but is what I would do.

I bought an 89 waggy with a 360 that I was told ran, I discovered it had several freeze plugs blown out of it. I replaced them, filled with coolant and I think I replaced the water pump also. It fired up and ran just fine.

PLUGS

That is the very reason they are there, to prevent cracking the block when people don't protect their colant as they should.

replace the freeze plug. hook a heater hose to both on the heater hose nipples on the engine. then make a plug for the lower rad hose. (2 clamps and a plug. or use the rad out of one of the rigs.) last hook a coolent presure tester to the top hose, or rad. fill with water , pull the spark plugs and presure test that thing. rote the crank. if it holds presure and no water in the cylinders it should be good. maybe, sort of kinda, i hope!

Unfortunately, freeze plugs don't always protect the block.

In my experience - only about 50% of the time.

It is a common misconception that these freeze plugs are there to protect the block.
The holes are really there as part of the casting process. The soft plugs are a cost effective way to fill those holes. It just happens that they pop out when the coolant freezes and expands in the block. The fact that they sometimes save the block from major damage is just a nice side effect.

If I were doing it. I would replace the plugs. Block off other open ports and pressure test it. Most garages have a pressure tester, or you might find one at the loan-a-tool counter at Advance or AZ.
Failing that, a little creative engineering with a bicycle pump, some fittings and an inexpensive gage should do it.

Then IF it seems to hold pressure you could take a chance on it.
But the best bet is like Chip said. Take it to a machine shop and have it checked.

Good luck. I hope you can save it.
Clean, used 360's are getting harder to come by as time goes by.

I have a radiator presure tester. I think I can rig it to work . Thanks for the input.

Back