Side by sides

RobMcBee

Slow n easy when you're not gettin greasy....
Hey guys,
I'm looking into buying a side by side for the family. I'm not really looking for a go fast or a golf cart on big wheels. More along the lines of a trail cruiser/workhorse. I have a neighbor with lots of land and 4 wheeler trails plus I would like to go out to URE, Brown Mtn, and or take to the beach. I know some of you guys own some and would like to know where to start. What to look for, and In your opinions what's the best for the money.

Thanks!

Pioneer 1000. Went and looked at the first one out dealer had. Very nice, 6 speed auto/manual trans (no belt). Can get the 5 seater, has a bed like a ranger but has 2 seats that fold up for extra passengers. I will be getting one in the spring when the graphite gray metallic is released.

I think I could see myself with one in the future. Maybe like a razor 800. I see them 20+ at a time in Harlan and figure they can cover a lot of ground really fast, and be a ton of fun.

I rode in a friends 4 seat teryx and it has a way more comfortable seating position than a rzr. I imagine a ranger seating position Is better than a rzr also.

I loved my rzr for high speed trail prerunning but it sucked for anything work related.

Id much rather have a ranger or teryx 4 seater after owning one.

Also check insurance auction sites for buying wrecked rzrs at 1/5 the normal price.

We have RZR's at work. 1000cc 2 and 4 seaters. They flat out haul ass, and are pretty dependable. 65mph with 4 guys and equipment is nothing. They're equipped with winches and lockers and can usually pull themselves out of most situations. We also have 2 seater teryx's equipped the same. Not as fast, but they do have a nicer bed/storage area. They feel more top heavy than the RZRs when off camber. They feel more like a farm utility side by side than anything. They also seem to break down more than the RZRs do. We've shredded the teryx belts on numerous occasions, and they don't seem to handle the weight as well when loaded down. Others may have a different opinion, but if I was in the market I'd be looking at a 4 seat RZR. The only downside is the price. You can buy an already built trail rig for the price of some side by sides. I have no experience with any other models.

My bud has a ranger 570 crew full size, it has two bench seat he carry six head all the time , they run from 10 to 16 k l, I've been debating the ranger or maverick, I'm kinds waiting for polaris to see if the will cover my 4 wheeler, broke axle led to bent a arms twisted frame, never herd of such.

I talked to guy in URE the other week and he said he sold his rig and bought a side by side. His words " worst mistake I ever made!!"
I can't see dropping 20+k for a toy that WILL break....

I'm looking more at the cheaper utilitarian ones. 10k is my limit if I decide to buy a new one. Rzr's fall under the "go fast" category for me. The Kawasaki Mules are definitely in my price range from what I'm seeing but I don't know much about them. I would like a 3-4 seater. It'll probably be used by my son an I the most but I'd like room for the wife if she wants to come.I'm not selling my Jeep either, although it is still a work in progress, I'll never sell it.

Well we have a JD gator that we use around the house for hauling fire wood, riding through the wood, etc.. for that it's awsome!!! Was only 3k to!!!

I looked at the JD's they are definitely not out of the question. Can't get a new one that cheap LOL

If you want to stay under 10k kymco makes some side x side that look pretty good. Can't speak of their quality but I know they make a lot of stuff for yamaha and artic cat.

I can't see dropping 20+k for a toy that WILL break....

Yeah and they will finance them for 7 years.After a couple of years of bein rode hard they will be wore out.

I have a hard time paying that much for something that can't get me to work. In a few more years I'd bet they get real cheap.

I've found some used ones CL for pretty good prices. I'm not dead set on buying one yet. Just wanting opinions on brands, reliability, blah blah.

I know I am biased since I do work for a John Deere dealer, but quite honestly the only failures I've seen on them is the clutch and the pillow blocks (carrier bearings) on the front driveshaft. Everything else is abuse or lack of maintenance.

I like the pictures where the whole front suspension has been cleaned off.

I'm not sure what to think about the ones that say the damage is "everywhere", but the only thing apparent in the photos is that some of the plastic is busted. I'm betting the chassis are twisted. Reminds me of an incident down in Georgia that ended up with Brit's 900 strapped to a tree and to a couple of pickups and a winch to try to get a twist out of the frame.

Really.....

image.jpeg

2015 POLARIS RANGER XP 900 EPS, 16054123 | IAA-Insurance Auto Auctions

Back