Sideswiped...

mommucked

Endeavoring to persevere
The misses was sideswiped on her way to work today when a car tried to pass her on the left as she sat @ a stoplight that just turned green.The jackass sped away and she's not sure she got the tag right. She did get the car was a black Honda 2 door and had a bike rack on the the back. It also had a new york tag. She's also pretty sure she's seen the car before going to work. The tail light is busted and the rear quarter is scraped and slightly dented in several places and the mirror on the other car put a nice, long gouge in the paint.I'm guessing the damage is about $1000/1500.
I called the cops and they said she would have to meet an officer @ the scene.
What do ya'll think they will do about it?

Best you can hope for is that he hit somebody else in a separate incident that morning and by now they know who he is. That's still a long way from getting $ out of him for damages.

Day late and a dollar short, but dashcam next time.

File report, maybe there are cameras there nearby that caught it on tape? Otherwise your insurance should cover it with a police report and then it's on the insurance company to track down the H&R vehicle/driver... If you have full coverage. I'm not sure if only mandatory insurance would cover that.

Most likely SOL on catching them. Hope you have full coverage. When I got hit on I-40 I gave the trooper (a f'n idiot) the make model and partial tag from the guy who hit me and took off. Never heard anything else out of it. Liability (min in NC) doesnt cover anything on your vehicle, only covers someone you hit.

Reason I say the trooper was an idiot is because he got both our vehicles wrong, both plates wrong and insisted that my CHP was invalid for reasons he couldnt say! Took the last report (that he insisted was correct) and left. Only to realize that he still had it screwed up. So, guess who got their ticket dropped...

Good luck. This happened to my wife on 40 in downtown WS a few years ago. Someone in a red car bounced off several cars sitting in traffic and ran. $3600 of damage to our SUV. I agree with the above that you are probably SOL on catching them. Most likely you'll just have to file it with your insurance for repair and move on with your life.

Oh, and unless you can prove the driver was uninsured, you cant file it as an uninsured drivers insurance case.

Oh, and unless you can prove the driver was uninsured, you cant file it as an uninsured drivers insurance case.

Are you sure this is accurate? Reason I ask is that I am in a current situation that this may come into play and was told the opposite by an attorney. Not saying you're wrong, just asking for the sake of second opinion and all that.

Are you sure this is accurate? Reason I ask is that I am in a current situation that this may come into play and was told the opposite by an attorney. Not saying you're wrong, just asking for the sake of second opinion and all that.

This is what my insurance and attorney told me. I hope your situation works out, but mine ended up with my truck still sitting two years later until I get around to it.

If you only have liability coverage and uninsured driver coverage then there has to be an accident report and the other driver known and the report showing the other driver was uninsured.

A hit and run isnt uninsured. That is a comprehensive claim.

Espcially on older vehicles it is greatly worth pricing both options. If you ahev a clean enough driving record and good payment/credit history....for example it cost me an extra $17/yr to add full coverage on my son's 87 k5...no brainer.

Back