"simple" cage?

orange150

bored and looking at the XJ; like most people with them I would love to hack off the rear window portion of the vehicle, if I left the doors and all that intact and only cut out the part of the roof and window area from the "C" pillar back how "simple" of a cage would it need? It seems like one main hoop with a cross brace, low braces going towards the front of the car, and high braces going towards the rear would be fine... but then again I have absolutely no knowledge in this subject. I tried to draw it up in sketchup but got bored and frustrated with that. What do yall think?

Ok, lack of replies led me Microsoft paint because I could not figure how to draw tube in sketchup. I know, I have mad skills with paint.

Attachments

• ass.jpg
    ass.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 254
Unibody, and your thinking of removing most of the reinforcement. Done right with the intentions of keeping and "using" for awhile IMO would require more than the simplified cage. At least full lenght frame stifners and extensive sheet metal reinforcment on the cut seams " think joining outer sheet metal to inner like tops of bed rails and sides." Its not going to literally implode but over a short while its going to go down hill quickly (structually). Very few are done with this in mind.

Back