Sleeper Cab Mini-Camper Build Up

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
Sleeper Cab Mini-Camper Build Up - Technically this is v2.0 as i sold my other sleeper cab when i got into the RV project..

I figured I should start a normal thread to detail the project and cover the stuff im doing as I progress.

First - Huge thanks to Ken Carter (Bruiser) for letting me barrow his trailer to go pick up this thing. Im sure ken is still forming a list of stuff for me to help him with :) I'm usually on the giving end of favors and generally never accept favors from others. Also thanks to Ken, John, and Craig for helping unload this thing..

I purchased this off ebay for $600 and had to go up to Ohio to get it. Based on my research this is on the low end of what you might expect to pay for one. It really all depends on where you are and why they are selling it as well as the interior condition. Here are a few pics of it as I purchased it. 078c_3.jpg

0d85_3.jpg

1858_3.jpg

The project - The sleeper will be mounted to the front of a ~22' trailer with room to park my rig behind it. I will cap off the front opening and add a small RV entry door. I really like this sleeper as it has the almost 45deg sloped front end. This will help a lot with aerodynamics. It’s almost 6.5' tall inside with plenty of head room to stand and move around inside. There sliding vented windows on both sides as well as one large window across the entire front. Collectivly they provide a lot of light inside but each window does have a heavy curtain to block off all light for sleeping if needed.

Background - This sleeper is newer and much nicer inside than my last one and will make a much better mini-camper. The sleeper is a 1997 Mack 60" Mid-Rise sleeper. I was originally told it came off a Kenworth but some more home work indicated it actually came off a Mack. Not that it matters but it might help someone else if they choose to do something similar. This is the main difference in this one and the Peterbilt low top sleeper I had previously. Based on my experience with bot, this one will offer more over all room for 2 people to maneuver and be thus be better for camping. The low top was still nice and I would not pass up one if that was what you had available. I think you could do some recessed floor pockets provide additional standing room in a low top.

A few more pics -
1d59_3.jpg

21e8_3.jpg

one hell of a cool idea... id thought of this before but im not a point where i need something like this yet... cant wait to see you finish it

The only critical task is to cover the front opening and get a door for it. The rest can be done ongoing. Currently I have the A/C heater unit listed on Ebay and its at $50. Eventual plans call for mounting a small window A/C unit in the floor spot where the current A/C heater unit site. It will be ducted out the floor and some fans used to aid in air intake and exhaust. I will install some basic 120v wiring to power a few items. I plan to redo some of the shelving to make better use of the space and add some additional divider in the under bed storage area.

I started cleaning the interior of the Christmas weekend and over all it isn’t to bad. I snapped a few pics of the floor area to show how simply these are constructed and why I chose to just buy one of there vs attempting to build one on my own.

DSCF0023.JPG

DSCF0025.JPG

The floor area is some aluminum sheet bent up into a small tray, it has 3/4 plywood laid on top to provide extra support and strength, then it is covered with some thin high density pad that is glued directly to the carpet.

The last pic shows the corner area where I will eventually make some shelves. The small coat closet I remove is made of fiberglass/plywood and while is in good shape I really can’t justify using that much space to have 1-2 items that I’d normally have to hang up..

DSCF0026.JPG

A few more showing the interior under the matress... The deck hidges up and has gas struts to help hold it up... There are 2 small hatch doors that open into the left/right areas. The HVAC unit will be removed but that spot is where ill mount in a small wall AC unit and duct it down under..

Some pics..

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

And just to point out there is a small 12v fuse block on the right side. The small bundle of wires is for the to following: (4) for 2 speekers, (1) rear reverse light, (1) relay for the HVAC unit. Pretty simple.. The interior lights and 12v outlets are hot all the time (but still fused)

The wall store had small GE microwaves on sale the day after christmas for $42 so I grabed one... Ill mount it on the shelf somewhere...

Still figuring out the door situation.

My med. duty drop leg jacks have started showing up. I ordered 4 - 3500# drop legs from HF. They were ~$25 each. I liked them as they have a large range and the drop leg parts helps add to that.

Ill start on the plate to mount them to the camper this weekend. I plan to make small-ish receiever sockets (similer to what i put on my new work bench) using 1-3/4 tube and 1-1/2" tube inserts. The jacks need to stand off from the camper enough to allow the trailer to be driven out from under it. So probably 18" on each side, this will give me plenty of meneuvering room.. I'll make a 2nd pin hole so the jack can be pulled in tighter if need be.

Also, i plan to reuse the jacks as stabelizer jacks on the corners of the trailer, this will help with loading and keep the camper stable when were inside..

My front door is on the way... It's whats typically called an RV 'fun door' this one measures ~31"x44" here is a pic.. I think I paid more in shipping to have this shipped than I paid for the door, but its a size that will work for me.. I liked this door as it had a small screen/slider setup to look out..

Door:
90_1.jpg

e4_1.jpg

Few more items:

I sold the Sleeper HVAC unit on ebay for $50 +$20 for the control panel and some duct pieces.

I tested out my IOTA 55amp Converter that I had not installed in the RV project before I sold it. Pretty cool, this will be used to power the mini-camper lights and accessories... The converter has a built in float charger that will manage the batteries when there is AC power hooked up..

Do you have a link to the drop-leg jacks you ordered from HF?

Thanks! It mentions 28-inches travel. When you get a chance to mess with them, would you let me know if that is crank travel only, or crank travel plus the adjustment in the drop leg?

We had stopped at the huge ass HF place just into SC, when were were returning from visiting my pop in FL for New Years.. They didn't have them in stock there but did have a flood model.. Funny part was I KNEW there were somewhere in the warehouse and they can't just stroll on back to get stuff...

anyway, thats about right for just the crank travel.. The leg drop a good 12-14" ill snap a few pics this weekend of it in and out... i was very pleased with it... It should let me easily lift the sleeper up over the trailer wheels

OK i lied
all measurements from top of jack
24" all the way down, drop leg in.
38" cranked up, drop leg in
51" cranked up, leg extended

That makes it... 14" crank, and 13" drop leg

Sticker says 52" max, Im not sure maybe they forced the handle some more...

For anyone else looking at this idea or considering it.

I saw this on ebay NO idea of who's it is or its condition etc..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-P...tegoryZ42611QQihZ020QQitemZ300069821532QQrdZ1

This one is like my last one and was what I was going to work on before I found my mid-rise unit. You could do like I did with my first one and wall off the open end and install an RV window.. My plans were to reverse mount it on the trailer so the window faced the rear.. The full length door and frame is symmetrical and is easily flipped/reversed to keep the door opening in a safe direction.. Also if height is a concern I had considered making a step down foot well that would hang below the frame rails giving you extra head room.. Could easily drop and 8-10" pocket to match most trailer frames..

This would be a little lower setup and would help with aero. drag etc..

I just saw these others for those who like to look at cool junk... (this one has the large front, but shuld play well on a gooseneck trailer plus gives extra room up in there for storage etc..)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Slee...7QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back