Smittybilt XRC8 Winch - $303 shipped @ 4wd.com

FYI for anyone buying from 4wd.com:

My total price i agreed to and the amount shown on the receipt emailed to me was $303.93 due to the 10% off coupon advertised on their site.

My check card got hit yesterday for $333.93, the full amount i would have had to pay if they didn't have the 10% off offer going.

I sent a quick email and got an almost immediate credit of $30 put back on my check card.

lesson... double check that bank statement against your receipt!

oh, and winch will be here tomorrow....

-Erik

So I am reading this and it sounds like a few guys have used these with good success?? I sell them but have yet to use one so I am just wonder if someone asks, what the opinion of these is.....

-Rock

I'll update this thread as I install the winch...

For now... here are pictures of everything... Overall I want to say that from what I see, for the most part, I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the quality... I didn't expect such a good looking product for $303 shipped...

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0569.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0570.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0572.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0573.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0576.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0578.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0587.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0578.jpg

I don't want the control box mounted outside the jeep so I went to open it up so I could remove the cables and attach longer lones.... but they rivetted the plastic cover on the box. Hope I didn't just void my wrranty :) Actually, since my neighbor drilled out the rivets while I worked my camera magic I'll just blame him if it comes down to that one day....

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0579_1.jpg

To my suprise their were no solenoids like those found in a warn, tmax, etc.... it's just one sealed box that houses the electronics..... It would be effortless to retrofit warn (or other "normal") solenoids in place if I ever had to though so no worries... we'll see how this magic little box holds up....

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0582.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0580.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0583.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0584.jpg

I have to make a winch plate still so I doubt I'll have it installed tonight. Damn welder is about out of gas and I'm pretty tired. I'll probably just wire it up for now....

More to come in the following days!

-Erik <--- can't wait to test it out! on someone elses stuck rig :)

can't really read the warranty... camera died when i tried taking more clear pictures... i don't have a scanner on hand but i'll have my neighbor scan them for everyone to read tomorrow....

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0591.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0592.jpg

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f175_efrancin_tn_CIMG0593.jpg

update:

the 12v power cable had a bad crimp at the fitting that bolted to the solenoid.... be sure to check all your wir connections guys.

also, the manual, after actually reading it, states that the winch uses a series wound motor, NOT a permanent magnet motor like they advertise.

I'll have to look deeper into this....

i have totally dismantled the control box.... i'm mounting the solenoid under my battery tray in a plastic electrical box that's much smaller and water proof (i'll have drain/vent holes in the bottom since i'm somewhat worried about it getting too hot and overheating.

i didn't have a winch mount but i was going to put it on the bumper i built... until i found out the bumper was too "short" so i just added a 2" wide 1/4" thick piece of flatbar courtesy of the ol' 175 amp lincoln. i also welded the ends to the frame, like i did with the bumper itself... and plug welded it on each side.... i'd rather have a bolt on bumper, but i'm lazy so why stop the welding tradition now :)

-Erik <--- will have future updates soon

I've had this winch for a month or so now and have pulled my self out of plenty of deep holes numerous times on the same trip. Definitely worth the $300.

Was the roller fairlead included in the price?

Matt

My only suggestion would be to pull the gears apart and check the grease. I bought a Champion from Sams and it barely had any grease at all. Was a total pain to fix once it was installed. On a budget winch they save money anywhere they can.

Back