So i've got this log

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
Had ecru, and take out a bunch of overgrown pines and spruce from the yard.
it didn't it didn't occur to me until they were nearly done that maybe I should save some of it to make something. Luckily they had this huge chunk of the largest Spruce they had set aside because it wouldn't fit in their chipper. So I had them hang on to it, and have made arrangements for a guy with a portable Mill to come out to the house tomorrow.
it's about it's about 32 in at the base, 8 feet long and maybe 24 in at the top end. Realistically, how much wood can I expect to get out of this? It turns out I was already planning to make a farmhouse extending table for the dining room anyway. Thinking I could use this for the table top.
would it be would it be better to shoot for slats like 1 or 2x6s , or to get wider planks?
I have no concept of what the realistic yield is on this kind of thing.

I mostly just thought that it would be really cool to have something inside the house that came from outside. I felt bad enough about taking out the trees that have been here way longer than me.

Attachments

• 20200410_135312.jpg
    20200410_135312.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 20200410_135306.jpg
    20200410_135306.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 20200410_135257.jpg
    20200410_135257.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 161
The more important question is how are you going to cut it? Quarter, rift, plain, etc? Dunno if spruce is better one way or the other... It's basically a crappy pine tree.

have it cut 3/4" to 1" thicker than you want finish thickness to be. they will shrink up, and cup some so you want to be able to plane that out. personally id shoot for 8-10" wide and 3" thick. once sanded it will give it a good heavy look.

The more important question is how are you going to cut it? Quarter, rift, plain, etc? Dunno if spruce is better one way or the other... It's basically a crappy pine tree.
Well, honestly that was sort of my question, what is the best bet for yield? I'm assuming long thin planks along the trunk. My originals plans needed 8 1 or 2x6s at 53" length for the top
have it cut 3/4" to 1" thicker than you want finish thickness to be. they will shrink up, and cup some so you want to be able to plane that out. personally id shoot for 8-10" wide and 3" thick. once sanded it will give it a good heavy look.
Thanks, that's helpful. How much shrinkage? Like 25%? Thats from your 1" to yeild 3". Do then shrink much in length of grain, or mostly around it?

What is drying like? I assume I have to have it cut, then dry, then planed, then ready to actually sand and use?

Well, honestly that was sort of my question, what is the best bet for yield? I'm assuming long thin planks along the trunk. My originals plans needed 8 1 or 2x6s at 53" length for the top

Thanks, that's helpful. How much shrinkage? Like 25%? Thats from your 1" to yeild 3". Do then shrink much in length of grain, or mostly around it?

What is drying like? I assume I have to have it cut, then dry, then planed, then ready to actually sand and use?

It’s going to shrink in every direction, how much it shrinks will have to due with the species and moisture content and (weather unless you store it inside to dry) I’m not sure of moisture content to be dry for what you wanting but I’m sure it can be found probably around 10%. Cut it and stack it off the ground on slats that will get you the least amount of warps and fastest drying time. I’d try to get at least double you think you’ll need cut in case some cup to bad to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stack, dry for a year, kiln dry(optional), resaw, joint, place, cut to size, sand, ready to use.
A year? Yikes.

... its also just occurring to me I don't have a good place to dry them indoors, aside from a basement, which seems terrible given lack of circulation etc.

Cut in 3” thick boards.

make the table in 2 wide planks with live edges on both sides. Spruce wouldn’t be my first or even 4th choice, but if you have it...

Really, I’m not even sure it’s worth the effort. May be better off using your efforts with a more quality wood and have a table that’s 5x as nice than if it were spruce.

Cut in 3” thick boards.

make the table in 2 wide planks with live edges on both sides. Spruce wouldn’t be my first or even 4th choice, but if you have it...

Really, I’m not even sure it’s worth the effort. May be better off using your efforts with a more quality wood and have a table that’s 5x as nice than if it were spruce.
I know, and thats what I'm really struggling with. I've even already bought the wood for the table I was going to build.
I was just struck with the coolness of having some part of one of the trees in the house. I'm pretty sure they were planted at the time it was built.

I know, and thats what I'm really struggling with. I've even already bought the wood for the table I was going to build.
I was just struck with the coolness of having some part of one of the trees in the house. I'm pretty sure they were planted at the time it was built.

Use it as tone wood and make a guitar or other musical instrument.

Use it as tone wood and make a guitar or other musical instrument.
I like the idea, but I think you overestimate my artistic creativity. ;-)

Although a drum would be badass, but it's definitely the wrong wood for that.
Doesn’t have to be indoors. Just stack it and cover it with a tarp
Hm. If it could be above ground, like stacked across cinderblock or something, I might have a fighting chance still...
But I don't get it, doesn't the moisture need somewhere to go?

I've never watched logs being cut, but I'm thinking there's a lot of squaring it up, to cut it. Those limbs & depressions! It's not Round at all. I think you might have 60% left, time they get it shaped to cut.

Stack it on some cinder blocks. Sticker it between layers and lay some tin roofing on top. Add some weight to the top of the stack if you can, or even band it up to reduce cupping. I’d go 2.5 inches for a table top, that way once it’s dried and milled you’ll have 1.75-2 inch top. I’d also just have him plane saw it with live edges on both sides. You can always pop a chalk line and cut into widths once it’s done shrinking and cupping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stack it on some cinder blocks. Sticker it between layers and lay some tin roofing on top. Add some weight to the top of the stack if you can, or even band it up to reduce cupping. I’d go 2.5 inches for a table top, that way once it’s dried and milled you’ll have 1.75-2 inch top. I’d also just have him plane saw it with live edges on both sides. You can always pop a chalk line and cut into widths once it’s done shrinking and cupping.
This is what I'm thinking I'll do. For now, leave it as wide planks as possible with live edge sides. I'm now thinking I may make a live-edge table top. It's not wide enough to be a single plane across the width of a table but if I can get 2 with an outer end and 1 to splice in the middle, so it's 3 boards across, that would work.

This is what I'm thinking I'll do. For now, leave it as wide planks as possible with live edge sides. I'm now thinking I may make a live-edge table top. It's not wide enough to be a single plane across the width of a table but if I can get 2 with an outer end and 1 to splice in the middle, so it's 3 boards across, that would work.
Yes, & 3 or multiple boards, will probably hold a shape, better than 1 or 2 Wide boards.

log-benches.jpg

Well, got it cut ubto 2" slabs. 7 of em, probably 4-5 will be good for planks.
Guy see mb ed to think theyd be ready for a kiln in 60-90 days, which is tolerable.
20200411_122221.jpg
20200411_172324.jpg

Attachments

• 20200411_112834.jpg
    20200411_112834.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 20200411_122221.jpg
    20200411_122221.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 145
Well in classic fashion, once stacked and under a tarp I completely forgot about this project :lol:
I guess it's about time to find a kiln?
Unfortunately I just noticed at some point the cheap tarp frayed and is open on the top of one end. That probably happened in the last month.

Back