So what did you do at work today?

mbalbritton

#@$%!
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
As some know, we make retail displays at work. Our current prototype job (more of a one off store set this time) is for Costa sunglasses store set in BassPro in Daytona. We are incorporating the passenger side of a '57 Chevy truck in the set. We bought a side wall and fender from LMC and had it wrapped in vinyl so that it looks like a Costa Blue rusty truck.

Today the boss tells me he needs me, a car guy, to go to an classic car junkyard to find a bumper, tail light and wheel and tire to go with it. WELL HOT DAMN AND HELL YA!

This place was awesome! I love my job!

Just shitty phone company stuff today. Come to think of it that's every day. Not nearly as cool as a lot of the jobs some of you guys have.

Just shitty phone company stuff today. Come to think of it that's every day. Not nearly as cool as a lot of the jobs some of you guys have.
Yeah but you have the none shitty stuff like ins,paid vacations,sick days Retirement!! I'll just have to work a half day the day they bury me.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

That place looks like the Green field at CMS /AutoFair!
A few years ago they crushed out a local yard and the newest thing I saw was a late 70's Lincoln.There was enuf 40's model Ford truck stuff to have built 3/4 trucks.The dude had a fetish for 55,6,7 Pontiacs and had about 20 of those.I spent a week there tryin to get the good and stay ahead of the crusher and just couldn't do it.Alot of good stuff got crushed.I use to buy a lot out of KY before metal got so high.I was told about a yard outside of Prestonsburg KY that belonged to two brothers that started it after they got back from WWII.The story went that they had never crushed anything in all the years they had been in business,and this was like in 2012.When I got there they had about 100 cars left.

There is a mountainside packed bumper to bumper, door to door with classic cars, vans and trucks near Hillsville, VA. Think it was on a dirt road, I know it was near the BRP. I couldn't believe my eyes when we drove through there!

You may be talking about a Classic Yard that used to be near Denton, on 49. They used to run pics & adds in the Old Auto Trader. They had cars in the 50-60s that some even ran. But I heard they got bought or crushed out. I think it gone now.

There is a mountainside packed bumper to bumper, door to door with classic cars, vans and trucks near Hillsville, VA. Think it was on a dirt road, I know it was near the BRP. I couldn't believe my eyes when we drove through there!
Theres a yard just outside of Hillsville on Fancy gap rd,called Matlocks or something now,but its on a paved road.Mnt Airy use to have several yards.One was way back off the road in the woods.Kind of a spooky place to be by yourself w a pocket full of money,no cell service,no gun and a truck w 400k.There was another place that was just old stuff,cant remember the name,but the dude was a preacher and drag raced.Holders maybe???

I never saw a sign for the place. It was really strange. Most of the vehicles looked to be in good shape, just left outside to rot and forgotten about.

Use to be a guy right on the nc va line on 52 (Cana Va maybe??) That had a bunch of surplus stuff,ambulances,cop cars,u haul trucks,all kinds of stuff.Ive been in about every yard from here to Blacksburg VA,to Beckley WV,to Prestonsburg KY,to Hickory NC.I haven't run those places in years.most were old places,run by old men and full of old stuff.Im sure the crusher got most of those places by now.I targeted old places,if they had a comp on the desk or the hot line goin in the background I knew what good stuff might be there wouldn't be cheap.Its all changed since I started and those places are few and far between.Back then if I cleared $300 a week I was happy.

My work schedule...arrive some time between 7 and 9, two cups of coffee, surf ebay and NC4x4 for an hour or so. Hour long meeting tying out with managers/supervisors. Hit the shop floor. Yell at managers/supervisors. Lunch for an hour or so. Come back to finish surfing ebay and NC4x4. Couple meetings. Fix problems as they arise. Hit the floor for status updates. Leave about 6ish. Then spend an hour or so tying out with my brother on the landscaping bidness. Then around 9ish until midnight I take care of stuff for the race shop.

Back