So whats the biggest gun you have shot?

MR. GADGET

Just thinking after the last few weekends at the range what was the biggest guns that people have shot?
This is not what you have or how much you shoot but for once size counts.
I will start it out by saying anything under .50 cal is small so lets look for .50 cal's and up. Some are military in here (Thanks for your service!!) you may have some big ones you shot.

Jon

Wanted to shoot the Phalinx, but didn't get that high in my surface warfare badge.

Rob said:
Wanted to shoot the Phalinx, but didn't get that high in my surface warfare badge.
Now that would be fun!
The closest I could get to that is a quad 50 (WWII Warship) type if I make the drive out west to do it.
Just paying for the Ammo will be $2000 to $2500 a minute to hold it down!!!
We have a few 6" morters and two cannons 2.5" and a 4.5" in the battery that we are shooting.
J

Phalinx is all computer ran, but working on my surface warfare I would have been on the team doing a test fire. Not like pushing a button, like on the 5".

Fired about 45-50 boxes (200? rounds ea.) thru an M2 .50cal both vehicle & "T&E" mounted... seeing them rip thru an old Continental diesel block like BBs thru beercans... enough to sprout wood over! :D

Got to "yank the cord" on an M198 (155mm howitzer) once... screw messin' with that! Hauled one back from the field with the breach blown off. Never found out what happened, but...

Hung out with some grunts from 1/9 Weapons Platoon (Grenada/Beruit) and got to drop a few 88mm HE motor rounds in Korea... screw those too! At least every 50th round was "SHORT!" :eek:

For me, the real fun was cooking off 40# shape charges & "plastique" :smokin:

Gosh, I feel small! Never been in the military, so civilian weapons only here. 50cal muzzle loader, 10guage, 8 guage, oh, does a tater gun count? It also did well on tennis balls too!

Well if you leave out military arms -
I think the biggest thing a civillian might have access to is a .50 BMG.
Never actually shot one myself, but have handled and drooled on a couple.
Or a .458 Magnum.

Other than that - are you talking BIG as in calibre ? or Big as in Ft/Lbs of knock down?

I got to play with some pretty evil boom toys in the military
But as a civillian - for me I guess it would have to be in rifles, 45-70, and .338 WinMag

Handguns, .50 AE .454 Casull

But of course my personal favorite...
:D
you can hand load a .44 Magnum pretty stiff.

Biggest handgun for me would be a tossup between an Army .45 and someone else's Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. (For my money, the Colt had more kick...)

On the OTHER hand... do I really need to post THAT photo again? :flipoff2:

I think Rob wins with a f'n 5" gun.. dayum.

For me, it was a .50 cal for familiarization, but I did LOVE my AIR-60 (Basically a M60 with different sights and handle/trigger). (Happiness is a belt-fed weapon)

I sling-loaded a 105mm howitzer more times than i can count, does that count? :D

Trebissky said:
Biggest handgun for me would be a tossup between an Army .45 and someone else's Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. (For my money, the Colt had more kick...)

On the OTHER hand... do I really need to post THAT photo again? :flipoff2:

NO
But what did you do on it.

Rich said:
I think Rob wins with a f'n 5" gun.. dayum.

For me, it was a .50 cal for familiarization, but I did LOVE my AIR-60 (Basically a M60 with different sights and handle/trigger). (Happiness is a belt-fed weapon)

I sling-loaded a 105mm howitzer more times than i can count, does that count? :D
Yep you got to love a belt fed they are fun.
I was looking at the new belt fed AR-15 that is out but for $4000 just for the upper its a little high. Its like a Saw in a way just a little lighter and on a smaller platform.
Jon

Civilian guns, I've fired a .50 BMG my buddy, who is a gunsmith, built. I have a .45-70 and a .44 Ruger Blackhawk in my collection. The one with the most kick? My Remington .350 magnum carbine. Not made anymore and that sucker packs a wallop to the shoulder.

The 5" wasn't really all that. During surface warfare training, we got to man the various stations, loading, plotting, etc. So your working with the targeting folks in ops, and you just hit a button, you really don't get to see the effect, but it made one hell of a noise.

Hah! I got most of you non-militay guys beat!!

Gary_musket_firing.jpg

Thats me shooting a reproduction 1816 Hapers Ferry Flintlock. (at work no less!! :flipoff2: ) It's 69 caliber!!! In that pic I'm just shooting wadding. (hey, I'm the city limits!) Last October we shot live ammo out in Stokes county. The musket kicks like nothing I've shot before!! After 30 rounds all the milita members and I had evil bruises on our shoulders from those beasts.

BTW, the Salem Light Infantry, of which I'm a member, will be out in Old Salem on October 22nd for Militia day so come visit!!

Gary
(aka MIS manager at Old Salem & Historic re-enactor & )

Do Torpedos Count??

Assited Launching Dummy Torpedoes Underway does this qualify??

Mostly ran the Reactor & Drivetrain though....just a couple horses under the hood...

:driver:

The most fun big gun that I got to shoot was an Evans 4 bore black powder double rifle. I shot it with 1/2 charges and it still would bruise you and put a huge smile on your face all at the same time. :D

The worst kicker (for me anyway) was a .378 Weatherby Mag. without the brake. :eek: I wore ear plugs and ear muffs and it still rung my bell.

Do any of you handload for your 45/70's or ever try Garrett loads in them? If not you are missing out on a lot of fun with your 45/70.

Hey Rob, Remington brought the .350 Rem Mag. back in the 673 Guide Gun. Its not as light and handy as your carbine. They also brought back the 6.5 Rem Mag.

<><Fish

I have only shot the average guns: .38 special, 30.06, 12 gauge, etc. But I will say I shot a friend's 12 gauge loaded with 3.5" slug shells. Damn those things can kick. :sniper:

MR. GADGET said:
NO
But what did you do on it.
Well, I started out as the loader, then switched to driver, but it seemed we were always just shorthanded enough for me to become a loader again every Gunnery trip. Toward the end I was training to be a gunner but never got to a range before I got out. I guess technically speaking I never FIRED that 105, but the other guy wouldn't have been able to without me in there. :D

And I did have to fire the 7.62mm coax myself one time when the solenoid went out on it in the middle of a run. The gunner had to say "Go" and "Stop" while he worked the turret controls to aim.

On the other hand, yeah, I guess a 5-incher beats a 105mm, but not by very much.

Back