Soft Top for K5

Subzilla

Test Driver
Triad - Mt. Pleasant, Concord & Georgeville
So I’m about to finish the cage on my 1975 K5 and would like to put some sort of top on it for wheeling. It is the full convertible (to the windshield). The Softopper brand made for it is s now about $1000. Thought about a Jeep bikini top but they measure a little short. Thinking about having a custom made canvas top…nothing fancy…just enough to cover all passengers. Anyone have shop recommendations for this? Or any other thoughts? Picture for reference and we’re still adding to it.

Attachments

• 8A683A74-9E9A-4AB4-ABFF-14A82E1BDB3B.jpeg
    8A683A74-9E9A-4AB4-ABFF-14A82E1BDB3B.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 63
So I’m about to finish the cage on my 1975 K5 and would like to put some sort of top on it for wheeling. It is the full convertible (to the windshield). The Softopper brand made for it is s now about $1000. Thought about a Jeep bikini top but they measure a little short. Thinking about having a custom made canvas top…nothing fancy…just enough to cover all passengers. Anyone have shop recommendations for this? Or any other thoughts? Picture for reference and we’re still adding to it.
FWIW - I’ve seen where guys have gone to boat canvas makers for tops for Scramblers and the cost and time quoted it still made sense to go with the $1k+ Bestop version.

Give a boat canvas place a call to check for your K5. Softopper may be worth it in the long run

FWIW - I’ve seen where guys have gone to boat canvas makers for tops for Scramblers and the cost and time quoted it still made sense to go with the $1k+ Bestop version.

Give a boat canvas place a call to check for your K5. Softopper may be worth it in the long run
This.

I have 2 damaged Rampage LJ tops I'll never use, and I'll be coming home down 77 at some point next Monday (leaving Friday but will be in a hurry). If you think you could make something out of them and could be flexible meeting me somewhere along 77 Monday you can have them.

One is torn over the driver's head from that damn tree on Mason Jar. The other one has a strap or buckle broken.

Over the years many people have tried making their own tops for the 1st gen 4runners. Including me. In the end they all are either (1) poorly made and unlikely to last bc they were DIY or (2) ended up costing close to the same as just buying a COTS one. IOW, if you want something halfway nice, just buy it.

If this is just an offroad toy you don't need to keep dry, and just want something for some sun shade and kinda dry-ish in rain, that may be a different story. You can definitely buy vinyl or canvas at Michaels or Joanne's and DIY something pretty easily. Get a grommet-making set, comes with a punch tool to set them in place. A vice works well for this if you can hold it straight.

You could sew an old tent pole or something like that down the center to stop it from moving so much if your making your own.

Back