Solid Axle Swap?

yotatilla

I have a 1986 4Runner with the IFS, which I am not too crazy about. I recently came across a great deal on a solid front axle out of a 1984 Toyota p/u. I love having the 4Runner, but the solid axle is more desirable for offroading. I was wondering if I could make the swap without spending $1500 for the kit from Allpro. I need the front part of the frame to hold the leaf springs, and this come with the axle. I want to build my truck on a buget, and the kit, not including any of the axle or anything costs more than the truck. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I love the homemade stuff.

swap

Yes, you can do it with out the kit. You will find as you get started that you will need almost all the items in their kit. You will need a longer than stock front spring with the center pin moved forward at least 1 1/2', a jig to drill the holes through the frame for the rear hanger, 13' travel shocks(min) longer shock mounts, brake line extensions, ect. Make a copy of whats in their kit, you will need it. Talk to Andy at Carolina Rock Shop, he may have some of the stuff. Good luck.

swap

After thinking about this for a few minutes, I doubt you can do the swap any cheaper than the kit from AllPro or Marlin. I went to their web sites and looked at all the stuff in them. The extreme lift kit( 5 1/2") has a complete set of super flexing spring and 13" travel shocks, front and rear flip kits, steel brake lines for the front, the jig and all the stuff for the frame hangers, all shakles, greasable bolts and bushings, high steer kit, and a bunch of other stuff. Sure, you can get the sas installed cheaper, but, what are your expectations. If you want a runner with a solid front axle and have no intentions of serious wheeling, go for it. If you want the rig to really work and flex, save your self time and money, buy their kit.

i agree, if you sourced every part with the intention of saving money you MIGHT save a hundred or two dollars to get good(new and high quality) parts, but the time it would take would far outweigh the trouble in my mind. Thier axle swap price has come down so much in the last three years. If i were going to do it again i would do the marlin crawler kit, i think his stuff is higher quality.

We use alot of Marlins and Allpro parts in our shop because it is hard for us to fab them one at a time and save any money. If you have the time and you are working on your personal rig...then like others have said...you might be able to save a few hundred bucks.

The biggest place you can save money is the leave springs....you can get some Rancho 44044s or even run the rears up front instead of buying the high $ leafs....

But you are going to have to make/build/buy just about everything in there kits....they have them down to a pretty good science. Its worth the money once you get it done though.

Seth

I'm gonna have to disagree with what everyone else is saying, no affence. Me and Tacoma747 both have done SAS on our rigs, mine is a 91 pickup and his is a 95 Taco. I done mine about 2 years ago, I didnt buy new springs I just used a set of stock waggy leafs with a Downey 3 inch top leaf up front and bronco 2 rear leafs with downey 3 inch rear top leaf. I did buy the high steer arms from Sky Manufacturing and made all my tie rod and draglink. I bought some stock front spring hanger from Toyota for like $40 and made my front mount, also I re-drilled my front spring perch 1 3/4 in foward used stock shackles to. Your front driveshaft will need to be lengthened 3 inches to. If you can weld pretty good and you have something else to drive you can do the swap in about a week if you have everthing. I lost count of the amount of lift but I have a 14 inch tavel shocks, a 3 inch body lift with the springs listed above and I clear 35s very good in front and have to trim some in the rear, and it flexes awsome.

Well, if anyone is interested, the kits will work well with the springs that said manufacturer (allpro/marlin/etc..) offers... If you get any other springs that are different lengths, then you might as well start fabbing some of the stuff yourself, but for a "Kit" the Marlin stuff seems nice to me... And of the AllPro stuff Ive helped install, its very user friendly... Even though at this point the only directions I need are a tape measure, straight edge and a level, the instructions in the allpro and marlin kits are worth every penny if you really don't know what you are doing...

But for a bare minumum, you can order just the spring hanger and shackle mounts, use whatever springs you like, and you will need to get some form of steering... Shocks mounts and such you can fab up yourself, and as far as just lengthening the driveshaft, it will need more than just 3" of tube added, you will need an 84-85 model front driveshaft, and the T-case flange to match... Depending on the springs you use and the shackle angle you choose, you will probably need more slip than the factory shaft will allow, so use the 84-85 CV and get a longer spline. Also, plan on a few extra bucks for some grease, seals, wheel bearings, new brakes, etc...

I hope this helps some...

Hugh

spline

You are absolutely right, if your front axle is flexing like it should, you will need 8-10" of slip travel. 4-6" will be fine for the rear.

Back