Something to keep oil off garage?

Cherokeekid88

So, we are moving into our first house at the end of August and I want to lay something down on the garage or do something with the garage to keep oil stains/spills from staining the garage floor. I was thinking of just getting some yoga mats or something to lay down...anything that you guys know of that I could use that absorbs spills?

Auto zone/advance auto has large flat pans for cars that leak. I have one works well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Walmart sells the flat tin sheets, like a massive cookie pan. I think I bought two for $10 a piece. They make incredible sleds for icey roads.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I don't want anything that is gonna show too much. I just want something that I can lay down that is sticky enough to where it doesn't move at all and will absorb anything that is spilled. My jeep is good at the moment with no leaks of any kind, but my girls jeep is leaking and I just don't want spots all over the garage floor or driveway (shes is gonna be parking on the street till she gets it fixed)
The pig mats look cool, just confused as to why so many different ones to choose from....

Just use an old rug or piece of old carpet. By the time its stained where you need to toss it, its likely time your better half will be buying a new rug for the house. Then take the old one and use it. :)

HA!. I just bought a 3x5 drymate garage mat from Garageflooring.com

Machine washable and is black. The pigmate spill mats were blue (didn't care for that)

all for $19.99

Im happy.

Put a padlock on the door and lose the key.

Maybe paint it or use one of those garage floor coatings that's cleanable.

Matt

well, the garage floor is pretty new looking. I thought about doing some floor coating, but I am such a neat freak about stuff like that, I would still want to put something down just in case.

At work we have gray pigmats that would almost match a cement floor. We get it by the 50 I guess. They are 15”x20”. Just toss them down and throw them away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'd like to strongly suggest looking into doing a good floor coating NOW.
The problem is... once you move in, it'll be a lot harder to get around to doing b/c all your stuff will be in the way. And the floor is clean now, if you wait it WILL get stains that have to be removed first.
Plus it needs to be done when the weather is warm.

BUT - if it's "pretty new looking"... has it already been painted? If so then sealing it now is a serious PITA.

If I could turn back time this is one thing I really wish I had done!

Be lazy like me and just use a moving box piece of cardboard, throw it out every few months.

I wish I had time to coat mine before I moved in. Still trying to figure out if I can do one side at a time now. When I get more cabinets up I think I could.

Back