Speeding ticket in Chesapeake - 64 in a 45.

bad_idea

Wife got stopped in Chesapeake on 17 by the Wal-Mart right off the toll bridge (headed south). She thought it was a 55 still (thought it turned 45 at the stop light) and was doing 64 MPH when the cop stopped her. We received a letter in the mail from an attorney in Chesapeake saying NC state law will AUTOMATICALLY revoke her license for 30 days if convicted for 15+ MPH over. We recently moved down here, so we are unfamiliar with NC traffic laws. Can someone shine some light on this for me? Thanks all.

They will usually reduce it to 14 over if you show up and pay fines. Take the driver class and insurance points can go away. Look into also "prayer for judgment" especially if don't have prior tickets. Never got a lawyer/attorney for any of my tickets in the past. All about the money.

Don't remember getting any letters stating that when I got popped for 54 in a 35. Got a bunch about getting it taken care of though

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Swear I was going to get pulled over in the smart car this am for 75 in a 65. Probably thought his gun was malfunctioning

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The law you stated is correct. A friend of mine got a ticket in TN. About 1 1/2 yr later he gets a letter from NCDMV revoking his license for a month and a fee to reinstate them after the month

I had something similar in Indiana a few years ago. Work with the local jurisdiction to try and get it reduced. Your problem at the moment isn't with NC but it may be if you don't get that knocked down. It's with the local courts to try and work it down. Mine wasn't the 15+ but it was crossing some upper speed (like 80 or something) which causes the same issue even if not 15+. I called the local DA and he advised I just write a very cordial letter to the local judge in Indiana and made my case that yep, I did it, but NC being a reciprocity state was going to cause me all kinds of troubles to get to work if this was left to stand. He worked with me and reduced it to a level that wasn't a problem if i paid their fines. I was happy do do that at that point to avoid all the bullshit. Could be different course for you depending on how their traffic courts work but first step is maybe just call them and let them know how much of a crapass system we have here and how this will cause you undue difficulties and see what they may be able to do. Good luck

I had something similar in Indiana a few years ago. Work with the local jurisdiction to try and get it reduced. Your problem at the moment isn't with NC but it may be if you don't get that knocked down. It's with the local courts to try and work it down. Mine wasn't the 15+ but it was crossing some upper speed (like 80 or something) which causes the same issue even if not 15+. I called the local DA and he advised I just write a very cordial letter to the local judge in Indiana and made my case that yep, I did it, but NC being a reciprocity state was going to cause me all kinds of troubles to get to work if this was left to stand. He worked with me and reduced it to a level that wasn't a problem if i paid their fines. I was happy do do that at that point to avoid all the bullshit. Could be different course for you depending on how their traffic courts work but first step is maybe just call them and let them know how much of a crapass system we have here and how this will cause you undue difficulties and see what they may be able to do. Good luck

Always knew you were trouble...

You have permanent residence in NC? She got a ticket? How much was the ticket written for? I'd just start calling lawyers in the jurisdiction of the ticket and see what you can do. Us here in NC really can't speculate on what VA traffic courts will do and are willing to do.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I drive in VA alot for work and have gotten a few tickets coming across Rt 58. For the speeding tickets I haven got in VA over the years I have retained a lawyer and they where all knocked down to improper equipment. I always look at the flyers you get in the mail from lawyers and see which ones are actually signed by someone and research from there. (If its just a printed form letter it goes right in the trash) Cops & sheriff's will pull you for any reason coming across up there. I got pulled twice for window tint (my windows are 35% which is NC legal) They will say it's to dark. I tell them the truck is not from this state and is registered in NC. There reply is the I'm in VA and it must meet VA codes. I politely tell them they are wrong. That always goes over well. One told me he would put my truck out of service and make me scrape off the tint on the side of the road to which I told him I was not going to scrape off the tint and if they would like to write a ticket I will be more than happy to have my lawyer fight it. Both stops were left as warnings.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Lawyer up. Don't risk getting screwed and losing license. Like they said above, it's all about the money. The lawyer will get it reduced, and likely you'll walk away with little to no points- and your DL still in her pocket.
Good luck man!

Ugh. Thanks for the advice all. I will contact a couple lawyers next week and see what can be done.

Ironically enough the last speeding ticket I got was on our way to our honeymoon 11 years ago. I was a VA resident at the time and got stopped in NC. I had to hire a lawyer then as it was a 4 hour drive to appear in court. The lawyer appeared in my place. Was cheaper to pay the lawyer than to appear.

Back