Speedo Cable

ShimShim

Speedometer Trouble

I drive an 01 TJ with automatic. This morning on the way to work, the speedometer went to zero sporadically on the way to work...while I was still moving. Is this the cable or the gauge? How do I check? Where can I get the offending part replaced? And where could I also get a new gear to finally account for the bigger tires I've been running for a couple of years?

Any help is appreciated.

there is no cable only a sensor on the tranny does your Cruise control work ? maybe a bad conection on the sensor.

Not sure on the Jeep but I know the Chevy trucks you can reprogram the computer for larger tires and gears. may be the same on the jeeps.

What is a Speedo???:)

I'll check the cruise control tomorrow. I know there is a new gear to get for the speedometer, but I don't know where to get it. It's not totally computer controlled I don't think.

What is a Speedo???

Hmmmm....:rolleyes: shoulda paid more attention to what I was typing there I think.

Update

Well, after driving several times since this started, here's what I have so far:

It only seems to do this for a short while when the jeep is cold. It will work intermittantly for several miles until the engine gets up to normal operating temp, then it works fine.

I drove it home from work tonight, after it sat all day. The first few miles the speedometer would not register at all. As the engine warmed up, it began to work some, until it worked fine the rest of the way home with a warm engine.

When it did finally work for the first time on the way home, I think (but I'm not sure) it found high gear. It may not have been going into high gear when the gauge was not working. Can't be sure, it's only 5 miles home and no highway, 45 mph max speed limit.

While this was happening, I did NOT have cruise control.

Any suggestions?

Andy, if you see this, I'll be calling you tomorrow. I'll also call the dealership. Anyone know if lift, lockers, etc. voids the powertrain warranty? I just hope it's not the transmission.

Sounds like you have a bad connection. I have seen water get behind the instrument panel and cause corrosion back there.
The heat from the engine or heater inside would expand the metal in the connection making it contact better when warm.

Back