Spinoff: Trail Riding Must Haves

StretchASU

I'm back in the market to get another bike and typically ride trails around some hunting property in VA and plan on making the usual NC stops like Brushy, Uwharrie, Brown and NCMP. In the past I typically just wore a helmet, goggles, gloves and a good pair of riding boots but don't recover the way I used to so I'm considering some other gear this time around.

What other gear do you guys typically wear for trail riding? Elbow and Knee Guards? Other body armor like roost protectors?

School me on some of the newer gear.

Just as an FYI since it is posted in ATV chat, but at NCMP you can no longer bring a ATV.

I don't wear any real protection like you, I don't go above the normal bark busters and the typical helmet/riding boots/pants/jersey/googles

Helmet, boots, knee pads, elbow pads, kidney belt, chest protector, and soon a race neck brace. I've spent more on gear than on some of my bikes, good stuff is expensive, don't cheese out and buy the cheapest stuff you can, you'll find you get what you pay for. If you take a hard fall and hurt yourself you'd gladly pay whatever the price not to be in pain (after the fact). I've had some wicked crashes, over the bars at a pretty good pace and have been lucky enough to walk away from all with minimal pain. Don't be cheap on gear it's your health you're paying for. Spend money and armor up the bike if you plan on riding rough stuff. Engine skids, bark busters, rotor guards, pipe guards etc.... all money well spent to keep from pushing it out of the woods.

Thanks for the insight Greg. All of it makes sense. I've been away from the dirtbike thing for a few years and I will say, from what gear I have tried on so far, everything has gotten a lot more comfortable from an ergonomic standpoint. I don't mind spending the money on the gear, just wish I had saved some of it because I had a lot of MX stuff back when I was riding downhill MTB.

Right now im still getting back into the swing on doing the longer trail rides, but all i usually take is just a good helmet and riding boots, then just the normal pants, jersey, gloves, etc. I have started trying to get used to riding with either a camel back or a small book bag to carry water in though, just havent gotten to go riding other then around the house since then. If i do start riding with more dirtbikes though i will invest in a roost guard, ive taken some hits from rocks that didnt feel too good here lately.

A camelbak with storage is a musthave. Get one that has a 90 degree mouthpiece so you don't have to move your helmet. Good boots. Padded compression shorts.

Back