Spray on Bedliner as roofing?

Reid

Hasnt Seen Dirt in Years
I was thinking today....would Al's bedliner or rhino liner, or something similar make a good roofing material for a house?

Sure, how many gallons do you want? :lol:

But seriously, I don't know why not. You do tar or rubber roofing on a commercial building, and it is sort of the same. Creates an impenetrable barrier and has enough thickness to protect against anything that would hit it. People have used it as a pool liner, so we know it can keep water out (or in, I guess).

I am not sure if praying alone would work as a good roofing material :D haha

On a serious note, are you thinking of spraying it onto the shingles, or aluminum, or directly to the wood?

How well would it hold up to direct sunlight,rain,snow,hail,ice?

Year after year?

I'm guessing it's probably not very cost effective compared to true roofing materials..idk

i wasnt planning on using it at all. my roof is fine...as far as i know.

I was just thinking of creative ideas for a business upstart.

spray on roofing seemed like an interesting topic. It may not seem very cost effective, but if it will last a life time...who knows.

also, anyone know the insulating properties of spray on liner?

My guess is that it wouldn't last more than 10 years. standard built-up roofing lasts at a minimum of 30 years and is easily installed, repaired, and maintained. architectural shingles start at 10 years (very, very cheap) and average installed is 30 years and 50 year shingles are being installed more and more.

Great for a bedliner but for a roof on a house, it prob. wouldn't last the time the existing products do.

I bet it would last longer than standard roofing. Wouldn't be cost effective though. I'd bet for a standard 2000sqft house you'd be looking at probably about 27 gallons of material. Once you factor in your plastic (you'd have to cover the whole side of the house to avoid overspray) masking, labor, wood, etc. You're going to be looking at over $2500 in materials alone, probably much more if you have to replace a lot of wood and things like that. And that isn't taking into account the labor.

Spray-on liner has decent insulating properties due to the thickness of it. We're actually working on some different mixtures of Al's to try and boost the thermal effectiveness. Should have some results soon. :)

There are so many better options for roofing, it wouldn't be a viable option, if you ask me.

Other than the 4x4cross Bronco, I have never had Scorpion or any other sprayed liner installed inside of a vehicle before. Since the cat pissed on my carpet and I ripped it out, the floor gets very hot in my xj. How much heat will scorpion liner hold back? Especially around the tranny tunnel.

Dylan...if the tunnel gets to hot you could spray the stuff on your feet. Then it wouldn't matter if you sold the jeep.

Plus you wouldn't have to cut your toenails anymore either. :lol:

I honestly don't have any exact measurements, since I don't own a vehicle with it sprayed. I know when I did Mike's TJ and he let me keep it for a show, it didn't get hot at all driving it to the show or out to take pictures. Maybe someone here who's Jeep I've sprayed can chime in? I've done a few members Jeeps here.

You would be better off just making clay shingles and doing spanish tile roofing. There is plents of clay around here to get to making the materials. That would be free profit due to no overhead!

A former coworker of mine had his roof sprayed with an asphalt based product about 15 years ago. He didnt have any problems with it the 10 years he was there.

The roof was a rolled tin roof (classic installation). They chemically stripped the roof and then sprayed the roof. It looked OK to me...

It did have a texture to it....kind of like liquid shingles...more sandy looking than bedliner stuff.

BTW...the house is on HWY 301 in Micro, NC. Its a greenish colored house about a block from the stoplight......if you want to check it out.

chris

Whats up John! Good idea but would it stick to the toe nail fungus?

Put your feet inside plastic bags, spray with liner, let dry then take them off like shoes.

Back