Staggered Registration Weighted Tags

MR. GADGET

The state is changing the way they are doing weighted tags and the base price will be going up from what they say. You also may be picked to renew your tag for 7 months or up to 18 months. They will pick!!
This will mean that when you renew in January you may be faced with paying for 18 months up front. You may also be ask to renew in 7 months and pay less but that will make you go to DMV two times a year the first year then once a year after that. Their hope is to make it easy on them so that in Jan 1 there is not a line of people lined up for tags.
One other thing you will need to look at is the taxes for that rig. They send taxes out when you renew and if the tax people don't pick up on it you will be billed twice. It was done that way when I went from standard to weighted and know others that were done that way. It was a pain to prove to them that they did not know what they were doing and cost me a trip down town to the tax office.
On top of all that the rates are going up to boot.
SO say you pay $200 for your tag now it may take $300+- this time you renew to cover the extra 6 months, or $120+- or so paying for only 7 months.
You should be getting a letter soon.
Jon

I just got that letter too.. I don't think it's gonna cost anymore over the long run, just up front...

If it was gonna be $200 for 12 months, now you get $300 for 18... still works out the same per month.

Sucks tho.

Rich said:
I just got that letter too.. I don't think it's gonna cost anymore over the long run, just up front...

If it was gonna be $200 for 12 months, now you get $300 for 18... still works out the same per month.

Sucks tho.

They also say the base price is going up to. I just don't like going in to pay something and find out its more. It would be like going to the Doc and paying for today then they want you to pay for your next time going in to see them 6-8 months early.
You will not get burned just that you will need to pay for it up front or make two trips to do it. Hell, I guess that is why the send the letters out.
Maybe they will change to stickers on the tag and not new tags each year.
Jon

Back