Stalling while using winch

Get a greater amperage alternator. Since you're Ford SB, and your stock alt is maybe ~90 amps, look at one (or possibility of adapting) one from an Excursion or Explorer that is in the vicinity of 120amps.

Jody, been reading this thread, and I remember once up at The SHOP you having battery issues.
The way I see it:
Your power from the alternator has to the back, to your battery, then, back up to the front for the winch. That's a lot of distance for the power to run. When you are winching, creating a lot of amp draw, the power is going to the biggest need, which is the winch.
IMO the fix is going to be:
Larger quality cables with soldered ends. Connections clean and die-electric grease so zero corrosion.
Two batteries. IMO the alternator amp rating is not that important since none of them would keep up with amp draw of the winch. It's only function is to keep the engine running and recharging the batteries when it's not winching.
I run 2 batteries, number 4 cables, but it's all under my hood. So the distance isn't anywhere close to what you are running. Oh, and I run a 60amp alternator.
I have never stalled my TBI engine, except when the winch was wore out and drawing more amperage than it should. I just put in another winch.
So there is another possibility. Your winch. I found out when I replaced my winch the last time, powering out the winch instead of free spooling it, will cause damage.
Since I have went to free spooling my winch, I have not had any issues.

Hope this helps.

Shots fired...slip on your Crocs, it's go time! :D

Crimps are good if they are air tight & sealed. I've seen connections get hot enough to melt solder. I have thick cable (i forget if it's 7/16" or 1/2" conductor.. 00?) run F/R on my xj from the battery and winches just as well from the front or back, fwiw. Just it's possible to drain my single battery but that was a good long hard pull.. (50 ft using snatch block, full size pickup mired, and down in a hole, had to swap batteries with him to finish getting out, then swap back once we got out, and we had minimal tools)

So funny this popped up... Yesterday while using my brush grubber, thanks @jeepinmatt pretty sure you suggested it, and winching out small trees and bushes my jeep died. One of my 20 year old twins was helping and he was kind of freaking... "IDK what happened...." I was like "I do." "The terminals on the batter are either not charging or bad ground." Cleaned + nothing. Cleaned my short ground and if fired right back up...

Got some time to work on the truck today. My positive connection at the junction block was all crappy. I'm going to run the + cable all the way to the new AGM 1000 CCA battery. The winch ground was and will continue to be directly to the chassis on one of the frame rails.
I'll try to button it up this week and we'll go from there.

All y'all's advice is appreciated

Last edited:
UPDATE
The issues were caused by a couple of items. Both of which were mentioned by the fine members of NC4X4 and were considerations I had as well.

The primary cause was a crappy connection at a junction block. The original owner had wired the hot lead of the winch to a 3 way junction like you would find on a car stereo application. Nowhere near adequate enough for the amperage of a winch. To fix it, I ran new 2 gauge wire direct to the battery from the + side of the winch.
The winch ground was equally crappy. Inside the sheathing on the cable, I found (for lack of technical term) an excessive amount of contamination within the strands. I made a new ground cable and ran it directly to the chassis near the winch.
To make the new cables, I invested in a hydraulic cable crimper. Pretty cool little machine!

I did also replace the battery, but it wasn't the culprit. I wanted an AGM anyway and the battery in my DD was going south. So a swap-a-roo was in order.

Now I can go wheeling with confidence knowing I am better prepared to winch @Stuntman Autoworks when he runs out of talent.

Gracias to those who assisted and/or offered humor from the peanut gallery.

UPDATE

Now I can go wheeling with confidence knowing I am better prepared to winch @Stuntman Autoworks when he runs out of talent.

Gracias to those who assisted and/or offered humor from the peanut gallery.

Hmmmm not sure what to say.

Jody Sideways.jpg

Back