Steering Box Gut swaps

YJJPWrangler

Picked up my hydro assist ram and hoses from @BigSouth last week. Looking to finalize my steering setup. Currently I have an untapped saginaw box that is mounted in the jeep. I also have a tapped box out of an astro at my disposal. The astro box is reversed(pitman arm points to the front of the jeep) I need it to put backwards. My thoughts are to dissemble the box I have now and put the guts into the tapped box. Will this work? Or should I go ahead and bit the bullet and drill/tap the current box? The boxes are identical, just one reversed and one standard.

Personally I'd just have the other box drilled an tapped. It's really not hard to do.

Picked up my hydro assist ram and hoses from @BigSouth last week. Looking to finalize my steering setup. Currently I have an untapped saginaw box that is mounted in the jeep. I also have a tapped box out of an astro at my disposal. The astro box is reversed(pitman arm points to the front of the jeep) I need it to put backwards. My thoughts are to dissemble the box I have now and put the guts into the tapped box. Will this work? Or should I go ahead and bit the bullet and drill/tap the current box? The boxes are identical, just one reversed and one standard.

...or, just go ahead and buy a fully rebuilt, already tapped, Astro box from me. I know, I know... just more money. Good to meet you man. Good luck with the swap.

I've already pulled apart the untapped box once before to clean it out. Not really that hard of a job. I've seen other threads where people don't pull them apart to drill/tap but I figure with my luck I'll drop some chips down inside.

...or, just go ahead and buy a fully rebuilt, already tapped, Astro box from me. I know, I know... just more money. Good to meet you man. Good luck with the swap.

yeah yeah, that would be the easiest route but I've got the parts on hand already...

not all Saginaw boxes are the same so it’s not certain that the internals of one would fit in another. You're better off drilling and tapping the box in the Jeep. Or, send it to me, I'll do it for you.

Edit- Or I have a Durango box sitting on the shelf that's already drilled and tapped I would sell.

Last edited:
Back