Stock market

Metals are dropping, healthcare, banking, and infrastructure stocks rallied.

The R's have the keys to the castle for the third time in over 100 years. If history repeats itself we may be in for a yuge pump and dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Today was the day....Dow, S&P and nasdaq all hit records...last time was 1999 on the same day. Now what?

Today was the day....Dow, S&P and nasdaq all hit records...last time was 1999 on the same day. Now what?

I think the market is going higher. I'm all in and staying in for now.

Just a few bucks shy of hitting 20k at the high point today....what a run

My "best" guess now??
...20k tomorrow or the next
...rise continues with good reports from Christmas sales 21k? 22k? 23k?
...until a few weeks after new years, and the Trump honeymoon is over
...then a slight/moderate pull back (but I'm staying in)

...Then hang on, this bus is headed to 30K over a few (short) years.* (And stock up...inflation coming with it).

* unless ISIS cranks up trouble over here
* unless Russia nukes Turkey next week
* unless Russia nukes the US next week
* unless China nukes the US next week
* unless NK nukes the US next week
* unless Iran nukes Israel next week

Just a few bucks shy of hitting 20k at the high point today....what a run

My "best" guess now??
...20k tomorrow or the next
...rise continues with good reports from Christmas sales 21k? 22k? 23k?
...until a few weeks after new years, and the Trump honeymoon is over
...then a slight/moderate pull back (but I'm staying in)

...Then hang on, this bus is headed to 30K over a few (short) years.* (And stock up...inflation coming with it).

* unless ISIS cranks up trouble over here
* unless Russia nukes Turkey next week
* unless Russia nukes the US next week
* unless China nukes the US next week
* unless NK nukes the US next week
* unless Iran nukes Israel next week
Why don't we ever get to nuke anybody? Have we already had our turn?

Santa Trump!

It has been an impressive rally since the election. Ive been 100% invested since about 4-5 days before the election. I'm thinking about selling 10-15% some time in January.

What I have read is that big money is staying in until January then sell. They don't want to take the profits this tax year, wait till 2017 when they may be in a lower Trump tax bracket.

I read that when the Dow crossed 10k the first time, it dropped back below it like 60 something times before it finally stayed above.

DOW 20,000

FWIW, I pulled some out yesterday and stuck into something stable (but low paying). We pretty well have an idea of the schedule for our draws for the house build, and didn't want to have to cash anything out if we have a downturn. Most of it was Canadian banks. I don't think the dollar will hold up all year.

DOW 21,000

I didn't hear Trump's speech last night, but it must have been good.

IMO, the high stocks mean even further to fall during a recession. I understand how jobs can be created by infrastructure improvement, etc, but I find it harder to fathom how the economy will really spur up.

I mean, is anybody else making significantly more money than they used to be? I'm not.

I mean, is anybody else making significantly more money than they used to be? I'm not.

Compared to when?
Last week? Nah.
Last year? Maybe
10 years ago? Hell yeah.

But career arc, parabolic curve blah,blah,bullshit.

Compared to when?
Last week? Nah.
Last year? Maybe
10 years ago? Hell yeah.

I can say the same for myself over the long term as I'm really just getting into the groove of middle-class working life, having been in the workforce for 11 years. :beer: Still relatively young.

Not more than last year either; I guess my point is where is all this money supposed to come from that will stimulate said economy? Probably not from everyone's employers, if I was guessing.

Compared to when?
Last week? Nah.
Last year? Maybe
10 years ago? Hell yeah.

Hel yes... but yeah 10 years ago I was a fresh post-doc making... good god... about 1/3 what I do now....

IMO, the high stocks mean even further to fall during a recession. I understand how jobs can be created by infrastructure improvement, etc, but I find it harder to fathom how the economy will really spur up.

Inflation has been low for the past decade compared to the historical norm. That is one reason why salaries for most people have not gone up much.

A stock's price is a reflection of its current performance and perceived future performance. The market has had a strong rally over the past few months due to 'perceived future performance' gains. That is because there is a businessman in the white house who wants to reduce regulations and taxes on businesses.

Boeing is a good example of why the DOW is reaching a new high. I read an article in the WSJ just a few days ago that Boeing and Airbus cannot keep up with orders. Their suppliers (air plane seats and engines for example) also cannot keep up with the demand. Boeing stock is up 41% over the past 6 months.

I sold some stuff last Monday. The market feels toppy here. The VIX has been low for about 4 months. Kim Jong Un is trying to provoke Trump into a fight. Trump will most likely have trouble getting his policies approved by congress, and the majority of this rally has been based on that happening.

No real substantial data here, since there are so many variables. But the week Trump was elected, the wife and I transferred our outstanding 401k's from our last jobs to my buddy at Edward Jones, that money is up 16.3% over that time. We're happy with that in 4 months.

Last edited:
Could have done better just buying an index fund. :flipoff2:

Back