Stock market

Boy I hope you are right!

Should be a great time to be buying.

I started going to cash on Dec 29th last year and kept selling during 2015 any time the S&P500 got up to around 2100. I'm going to watch it this afternoon, but I am probably going all in today with my cash. I don't think we will have another buying opportunity like this for a long time.

Last edited:
I've had this conversation with several on here and since I hunt and peck type this will be an abbreviated version.

Every major stock meta cycle we see now is unprecedented because of technology.
No one is looking at the mechanics of the physical trade.

Times were a trade, be it a put or a call a buy or a standard sell were handled by a select few humans on the floor in NY.
Today computers handle all this and like everything computerized they do it much more time efficiently than humans could ever think of.
For example if you go back and study all the big "crashes" pre-2000 you will see the angle of the slope is not nearly as steep as what we see today. Bluntly 20 years ago the volume we trade today on a run was impossible to match. Now, a computer can buy 1,000,000 shares sell them and repeat in a matter of minutes.

Add ever increasing complex buy/sell algorithms and you quickly get a tail wagging the dog scenario.

The nefarious minded among us have often wondered when the programmers are going to be smart enough to shake the tail enough to cause it to wag the dog and drop a few golden fleas in the process.

The more complex theorem behind the above is the precise reason I began moving out of the market in 2012. My withdrawal is slow, calculated and progressive but over the next 5 years I dont intend to have more than 15% of my portfolio in the market in any manner. Much live a caged Lion as a pet, I will never feed what I have ZERO control over.

Last edited:
Never ever uttered before in my life: Dafuq? I generally ignore the day-to-day crap on the market but geebus that's friggin' ridiculous.

Unlike Ron, hiding my money in the backyard in mason jars won't cut it for the next 30 years so I can have some $$ to retire on. Time to figure out another way to make money.

Actually, hiding your money in mason jars in the backyard is a great retirement plan.

What's your address??

(My retirement, that is.)

Never ever uttered before in my life: Dafuq? I generally ignore the day-to-day crap on the market but geebus that's friggin' ridiculous.

Unlike Ron, hiding my money in the backyard in mason jars won't cut it for the next 30 years so I can have some $$ to retire on. Time to figure out another way to make money.

@OnlyOneDR
Even though I live in the sticks, no money in Mason Jars.
Tangible income producing assets.
Real Estate.
Small business ideas.
etc.

I do have a slightly higher cash position than most in my portfolio, just in case that lawyers, gun and money scenario ever comes up. But even that is in bank quality safes.

An overdue 10% correction and you guys are ready to throw in the towel?

I bet your wives never pass up a good sale.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440503575.872415.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440503575.872415.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 414

I bet your wives never pass up a good sale.

Haha! Hell yeah! I went bargain shopping yesterday like a mofo! I felt like a looter in Ferguson during the riot I was buying so cheap, LOL!

@OnlyOneDR
Even though I live in the sticks, no money in Mason Jars.
Tangible income producing assets.
Real Estate.
Small business ideas.
etc.

I do have a slightly higher cash position than most in my portfolio, just in case that lawyers, gun and money scenario ever comes up. But even that is in bank quality safes.

The Mason Jar comment was a joke! I have recently started researching getting into real estate. I will never be able to retire on whatever the government allows me to make money on in an IRA and 401k portfolio regardless of having started at the tender age of 21. They limit it way too much. Thus the need for something else.

In actuality I lucked out and was on schedule to make a purchase on Monday anyway and got in cheaper. It just sucks watching 10% of your retirement $$ disappear. Trust me, I know how the market works and am in for the long haul, but you have to admit there is a little bit of sadness that comes with watching your $$ go up in smoke (yes, I fully understand that I still have the shares).

In actuality I lucked out and was on schedule to make a purchase on Monday anyway and got in cheaper. It just sucks watching 10% of your retirement $$ disappear. Trust me, I know how the market works and am in for the long haul, but you have to admit there is a little bit of sadness that comes with watching your $$ go up in smoke (yes, I fully understand that I still have the shares).
A coworker just bought a house l2 weeks ago and had literally just sold off a bunch of stock to pay for it. They almost pushed back closing to end of this week, he's thankful they didn't!

I wish I knew more about stock and the inside and out of trading. I have a target 401k retirement plan with vanguard that NS does the adjusting as far as risky early steady later type deal. Seems to be doing good, but Idk what I'm looking at. I'd just assume it all be in railroad stock.. and I'm just glad I don't pay social security. One of the best things about working for the railroad.

I wish I knew more about stock and the inside and out of trading. I have a target 401k retirement plan with vanguard that NS does the adjusting as far as risky early steady later type deal. Seems to be doing good, but Idk what I'm looking at. I'd just assume it all be in railroad stock.. and I'm just glad I don't pay social security. One of the best things about working for the railroad.

Target retirement date funds get more conservative as you get closer to the date. The problem with those are, when you retire, do you really want your money to stop growing? Average Americans are living 20-30 years in retirement. Inflation goes up, your money needs to follow.

FYI It's not invested in all railroad either. pM me and I'll help answer your questions.

Target retirement date funds get more conservative as you get closer to the date. The problem with those are, when you retire, do you really want your money to stop growing? Average Americans are living 20-30 years in retirement. Inflation goes up, your money needs to follow.

FYI It's not invested in all railroad either. pM me and I'll help answer your questions.

Im glad to hear you say that because ive never liked the idea of those funds. I have very few mutual funds to choose from in my 401k plan. The best one is VIEIX. It has a very low expense ratio at 0.08%.

Unlike Ron, hiding my money in the backyard in mason jars won't cut it for the next 30 years so I can have some $$ to retire on.

Worked for Will Reynolds, heir to the RJR fortune. he's got mason jars all over the hills.

Over half way back from the recent correction. I wouldn't be surprised to see the markets pull back 3-4% though before going higher.

Related to my above post, has anyone been following the trade floor tech wars?

They have already regulated network cable lengths down to the mm. Now we are getting into regulating composition of said cables. The tech trade speed war ius driving innovation milliseconds per mm at a time.

Related to my above post, has anyone been following the trade floor tech wars?

They have already regulated network cable lengths down to the mm. Now we are getting into regulating composition of said cables. The tech trade speed war ius driving innovation milliseconds per mm at a time.

Are you talking about High Frequency Trading like was written about in that book Flash Boys? I dont know much about that.

Back