Stormin Norman...Redux

scotch737

Betting a few of you have seen this TJ before. I've been looking for a "daily driver" to help cure the sickness, since I know ArchAngel is going to take more time than I thought. So I purchased it last Friday night and drove it home 103 miles. It's in pretty dang good shape. All fluids look amazing, nothing crazy mechanically wrong(one loud lifter on startup.. buts thats expected lol). I did tweak the alignment a bit this week, replaced driver's side front unit bearing. Fixed the blower motor with a new switch. Replaced some missing ac lines and fixed the A/C blows 45 out the dash. Had to tweak a blend door. Upgraded to newer bluetooth reciever and newer speakers. Up next is removing flares and sanding the piss out of it and painting it either desert tan military color, or the JK mojave sand color. I'm also going to scuff these wheels and paint them black.. of course. Guess it's kind of a military theme-ish. Anyways figured I make a thread for ole Stormin Norman and give him the TLC he deserves. Glad to be in the seat of a running Jeep that's not a pile of parts and money. Don't get me wrong. ArchAngel is still being built. And I'm moving at the end of the month and now have my own shop. So more to come on that old thread soon.

So here. haters go ahead and hate. Done a bit of dash painting today. Had to see what it looked like. LOL

PzevRvv.jpg

wyW83Vg.jpg

So glad to see Norman going to a good home. He deserves to live forever!

Thanks for allowing me to take it bro. Norman's already family. Going in the next few weeks to get another 4.0. engine. I have forged rods and .040" over KB pistons for a mild 6-8 psi turbo 4.7 stroker build. My 8.8 shows up tomorrow, it needs 4.10's and I wasnt about to put money in a dana 35... I'm keeping it on 33's / maybe 17's and 295-315's. Might get some better Currie coils for it. But mainly just drive the piss out of it and make some fun runs at uwharrie lol. I've put over 400 miles on it already!
Once I get that done, I'll swap and refresh this engine as well. Can't ever have enough engines LOL.

Here's the new victim. 4.7L stroker, Volkswagen TDI VVT(variable vein turbo) turbo'd low compression, 89 octane 19mpg (striving for) build. After Sept 1st I'll sand it and primer for a mojave sand wrap job. Freaking Jeeps.. LOL
BewZzHC.jpg

2lgqbNO.jpg

Tell me more about that turbo and what you're intending for engine management...

Lots of modifications to the turbo and plan to use on old 6AL box to help with ignition curve. 24lbs injectors. You can’t map a 4.0 ecm so you increase injector size and have some way to control timing. Of course this is a distributor engine. Not sure if ya could make it work on coils.

It’s a tiny turbo about the same size as the one used by Banks in that 4.0 kit. I have to make a custom exhaust flange and cut the manifold off the turbo since it’s made to it. I’ll post some pictures of it tonight. And I’m going to lock the vine rod fully open. VW uses a electric solenoid that opens it depending upon engine vacuum on the diesel. Not going to need that since a 4.0 makes great vacuum at idle.

Damn man, this thing is going to be sweet!

The whole engine build/turbo idea is just a side project for now. I’m driving the poop out of it till I feel completely sure my other Jeep is drivable before I drop this stroker in. But yeah someday it’ll be pretty cool lol.

Actually you can tune jtec and sbec.. SCT does tune jtec. I was going to mention ftc split second as a piggyback.

Thanks for the info man. I’m checking this out at work. Had no idea they existed. I knew someone had a piggyback style but split second box looks pretty dang cool not a bad price either

After coming home and doing some more research. Plus now knowing some new things exist in the JTEC tuning world... Thanks @a_kelley . I think I'm just going to buy a turbo. The VW turbo is just a bit small for the increased displacement. And it was going to be a nightmare cutting and making my own inlet flange. Afraid it will choke the stroker a bit. So let's find a Garrett. LOL. Still shooting for 8.3:1 compression with my math done correctly that should be it anyways. Most stuff I'm reading around the web is saying 400-500 hp with 10 lbs on a 4.6 stroker. So I'm guessing 6-8 psi will be somewhere around the 350hp area. Plenty enough for 34.4 " tires LOL. Should have great street manners.

Cool to see Norman living on. Spent a lot of time putting Norman together when @Blaze still had the salvage shop.

I don’t have much else to add other than I stumbled across somebody who adapted a Ford 4.0 PCM to the 4.0 which can be tuned. Do you have Instagram? I’ll find the post and tag you in it.

Been a while since I've updated ole Norman. He's been flawless. He hates a cold transmission. Which I've built a 32rh almost as bullitproof as you can build it to go in soon. I've got so much customer work I can't seem to get the 8.8 and WJ knuckle high pinion 30 swap done yet. But they have 4.56's and Powertrax pro grip in the front and OX cable in the rear. Soon to be installed hopefully. Also he's had a wheel and tire upgrade the night before the storm. 35x12.50x17 Kenda Klever r/t's He still drives good. Much better after changing shocks. I have a 1" body lift and SYE to install. Engine block and head work are done. It's a 4.7L monster. All forged but the crank. And I have a new Garret 65mm Turbo for the build. But it's been a frame repair, lift JK's , build LS engines and still have a full time job kinda winter. And I couldn't be happier. Thanks guys. Glad to be here. I'll try to keep yall posted.

tKZ7pU2.jpg

V0OuNYi.jpg

3sUlvaC.jpg

qAtFzcy.jpg

Norman has been amazing. Replaced a LF u-joint and wheel bearing so far. Rebuilt and resealed the whole HVAC system. Installed A/C (for defrost mostly :) ) Have a WJ knuckle HP 30 and 8.8 with 4.56's ready to go in before some much needed vacation time here soon. The rear main is dripping.. but what 4.0 doesn't LOL. Stroker engine is almost complete as well. He's hauled a bunch of work for me lately and of course the top is down and doors are off. Should be able to replace the RF fender and I'm painting it in the next few weeks before axle swap and beach trip in July with true KARK military desert tan. Love having a DD TJ that just runs and goes.
85HenvJ.jpg

I thought fairly seriously about buying this Jeep back when Blaze had it for sale. I kind of wish I had bought it now.

Minor terminology.. CARC - chemical agent resistant coating.. but looking good!

Thank you :)

I thought fairly seriously about buying this Jeep back when Blaze had it for sale. I kind of wish I had bought it now.

Has some minor body channel work to be done. But with 237,000 on the clock, he runs amazing. The big trans cooler I installed helped the trans shift a lot. I have some 3.5" springs and a 1" body lift to install when I get the chance to jack the body up and fix a few body mount locations. The rear still rides a little stiff for my liking, but some new shocks drastically improved the ride. He's more of a mall crawler and go getter than a trail stomper. But that's what I bought him for. And no regrets here. Im building a TJ truck currently for a parts rig for my shop, as soon as I get it done, maybe I can put some love towards some of the fixes and upgrades planned. Especially the forged 4.7 stroker I've built LOL.

Back