Stove recommendations

McCracken

Logan Can't See This
So our stove shit the bed last month. It came with the house and we were very excited to get it. It's a Dacor and it is/was pricey. However, we are now having to replace it and I'm not paying what it costs new. The home warranty folks gave us $3400. I figure I can throw a little more with it and call it good.

Two brands mentioned to us were Kitchen Aid and Blue Star. Anybody have any experience with these? Ours was duel fuel (gas/electric) and I'll be going back with the same.

Last edited:
Roll in one of those Blackstone things I keep seeing in the other thread. It's not the oven, its the chef :D I just put $3000 in your pocket. You're welcome ;)

Whew, anything dual fuel is going to be pricey. We looked at dual fuel originally but after the sticker shock went with gas/gas. No ragerts. We've been very happy with our GE Is it standard width or one of those super fancy 5 ft wide jobs?

Whew, anything dual fuel is going to be pricey. We looked at dual fuel originally but after the sticker shock went with gas/gas. No ragerts. We've been very happy with our GE Is it standard width or one of those super fancy 5 ft wide jobs?
Standard 48". She says some shit about the electric oven is better for the baked goods.

We've had a Bosch dual fuel since 2016/2017 and are about to get rid of it because we've got an induction range on the way (long story involving garage build where the gas line is, and HVAC upgrade). I'm not sure if Bosch makes anything over 36inch though.
Yes, if you're doing primarily baking instead of roasting (for example), the electric oven kicks ass. There are pros/cons to electric oven vs gas, and it depends on what you're primarily using the oven for. Convection though, is the best-est thing ever.

Edit: It doesn't look like Bosch has anything over 36inch. Nevermind.

We have a 30inch slide-in, which was less than half the cost of the 36inch freestanding. I have no idea how that pricing works,

Last edited:
Our friends put a Hallman dual fuel in the house they bought last year. Looks nice and seems to work pretty good. I wanna say something like a 14 week lead time on it coming from Italy....but it might have been longer than that. I'm w/ @jeepinmatt though. I've had taters that they cooked in their toaster oven, and taters they've cooked in an $8500 stove. Tasted the same to me.

Well, we ended up having to settle that what we wanted was beyond our original budget. Stoves are pricey. Especially dual fuel :rolleyes: Anyway, because of reputation and length of service we decided to go with Wolf. I also cut a corner off my man card and decided to let them do the install and removal. I could do it but I don't know if me wrestling a 700 lbs stove is the best idea. I'd probably break the tile or destroy a cabinet in the process.

Yea I looked around at the dual fuels just for fun after you posted your question. Big money. :eek:

They really aren't, unless you get a huge one. Slide-in 30inch models aren't too bad at all. Anything freestanding is worse, and anything bigger than 36inch starts getting a silly cost multiplier because the only choices are the luxury brands.

Thanks to the PO of the house we have a 48". Yes, the smaller stoves are much cheaper but we were stuck with this one. I wasn't in the mood to build new cabinets to match the existing just to fit a smaller unit.

They really aren't, unless you get a huge one. Slide-in 30inch models aren't too bad at all. Anything freestanding is worse, and anything bigger than 36inch starts getting a silly cost multiplier because the only choices are the luxury brands.
I guess I didn’t bother to look at the peasant model dual fuels, just the baller status 48 inchers :huggy:

I guess I didn’t bother to look at the peasant model dual fuels, just the baller status 48 inchers :huggy:
Ballers get the 60" :cool: we're just pretending.

Get something easy to use with a good user friendly layout! Trust me. The easier it is to use, the more apt she’ll be to cook on it. I had beef stew the other day, it was fantastic! I went to the stove, took the can off the burner, opened it up, poured it into a bowl and stuck it in the microwave for ~2 mins. Quick, easy, and only dirtied 1 bowl.

bull shit i literally priced 3 units yesterday full gas 1350, both dual fuels were flirting with 4000 all of them were 30" standard ranges.

bull shit i literally priced 3 units yesterday full gas 1350, both dual fuels were flirting with 4000 all of them were 30" standard ranges.
You can buy a Bosch made in New Bern for $2600. We did.

Bosch 800-Series, HDI8056U, current model of the one we already have (ours is the 2016/2017(?) version, HDI8054U). $2699 MSRP.
Bosch Benchmark HDIP056U, MSRP $3k.

Last edited:
It's better for a reason
That's debatable. It's been a few years since I did a deep dive on them, but the issue I found then was that the gas cooktops were heavily limited in terms of their BTU output as compared to electric counterparts. There is a lot of aftermarket modification (changing jet sizes, primarily) in order to get acceptable performance out of them. Electric was faster, hotter, and cheaper. Induction is much higher-performing, comes with a cost hit, but with the upside of less waste heat.

That's debatable. It's been a few years since I did a deep dive on them, but the issue I found then was that the gas cooktops were heavily limited in terms of their BTU output as compared to electric counterparts. There is a lot of aftermarket modification (changing jet sizes, primarily) in order to get acceptable performance out of them. Electric was faster, hotter, and cheaper. Induction is much higher-performing, comes with a cost hit, but with the upside of less waste heat.
I'm talking about the electric oven. The stove top is natural gas and yes, you can have different burner outputs. The big thing is the simmer. Thermador claims that you can put chocolate chips on a paper plate and the chips will melt before the plate will burn. I believe the Wolf has a low output of 300 btu while the upper is 18,000 btu.

you gave no comparison of a full gas to the model you listed.

you comparing apples to oranges when i was comparing oranges to oranges

Bosch 800-Series HGI8056UC, gas/gas. $2300 MSRP.
Bosch 800-Series HDI8056U, dual fuel. $2700 MSRP.

Bosch Benchmark HGIP056UC gas/gas. $2900 MSRP
Bosch Benchmark HDIP056U dual fuel. $3000 MSRP

I'm not sure what we're supposed to be arguing anymore. :p

Last edited:
Back