Strange experience in the forest

GotLime?

Background: Previously, friends and I have rented the big cabin up at Haltwanger (sp?) retreat.

Satruday, I and 3 other rigs were up near there and I wanted to show it to them. I turned left one turn too soon and ended up in a "neighborhood". There was a sign that said to stop at the entrance but there was no place for 4 rigs to turn around. We entered slowly and looked for a place to turn around. We got turned around and were heading out and this guy comes flying up on a 4 wheeler. He almost hits us. before I can even get completely stopped and turn my head, he's screaming and yelling. Really irate. About to pop a gasket. I try to explain that we were looking for the rental cabin, made a wrong turn and were leaving. He keeps on going. I interupt him and say "I hope you have a nice day" and go on. He stands on his 4 wheeler and yyells at everyone else as they drive by. Up the road, I see a guy backing an RV across the road. I thought he was trying to get it put away so I give him plenty of room. He gets out and waves me up. Asks me who I'm there to see. I explain that his neighbor has already yelled at us and that we're just trying to leave. He was a little more understanding and gives me directions to the cabin. It was till strange that he felt the need to block the road. It wasn't like it was the middle of the night and we were roaming around wearing all black. It was 2pm on a sunny Saturday afternoon. We obviously menat these folks no harm.

Has anyone else ever made this mistake? I'm guessing this must happen often for these folks to get so upset. There were several houses and properties for sale back there. I'd hate to be selling and have my neighbors greet potential buyers that way.

People are selling because of the neighbors

Thanks. Looked like some nice, simple places. Right on the water. Close to the trails. Soemthing a guy like me might consider. But there's no way in hell I'd consider after running into that guy. I'm not a kid. I've been around the block, seen a few people fired up. This guy was Top 10 hotheads material. Flying around on his 4 wheeler with his little dog chasing him.

I don't know anything about it, just figure that's what 6bang was trying to say.

I know some of the people that live down there. They have had problems with people on ATVs and OHVs littering, making a lot of racket late at night, doing doughnuts, spinning out in the ditches (destroying their property). These asshats are pretty much doing the same crap that they do in the forrest except that property belongs to some one. Usually it's young punks down there raising hell that don't give a shit. they have heard every story in the book. You sir have been a victim of mistaken identity. I'm willing to bet that every one that you saw was armed. They are the type of people that don't welcome strangers unless they come with somebody they know, and then they are leery of you. There used to be a large stop sign, (that you mentioned) and no trespassing, & do not enter signs every where down there before you get to the gate. it's hard to believe they aren't there anymore... I hate it for you, but you are lucky they didn't detain you until the sheriff got down there.

I know some of the people that live down there. They have had problems with people on ATVs and OHVs littering, making a lot of racket late at night, doing doughnuts, spinning out in the ditches (destroying their property). These asshats are pretty much doing the same crap that they do in the forrest except that property belongs to some one. Usually it's young punks down there raising hell that don't give a shit. they have heard every story in the book. You sir have been a victim of mistaken identity. I'm willing to bet that every one that you saw was armed. They are the type of people that don't welcome strangers unless they come with somebody they know, and then they are leery of you. There used to be a large stop sign, (that you mentioned) and no trespassing, & do not enter signs every where down there before you get to the gate. it's hard to believe they aren't there anymore... I hate it for you, but you are lucky they didn't detain you until the sheriff got down there.

I don't mean to sound like billy bad ass, but I would not have taken kindly to someone drawing a weapon on me. I'm not saying I was or was not armed, but you never know who is carrying.

I would have welcomed the sheriff. Seriously. The first guy looked like he was a hair away from jumping in the Jeep. It was really uncalled for.

I got the idea that there had been some folks causing problems down there but as I said it was the middle of the day, we were going slow. no radios on, etc.

I think about their neighbors trying to selll a property. How could you if someone came to look at your house and they received the treatment we received?

Anybody remember the Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm? :lol:

I don't know anything about it, just figure that's what 6bang was trying to say.

Exactly. I only posted because I was in those shoes just 2 years ago. I for one would never want that tight of security from a neighbor and I made it clear from the people that live in front of my shop access. Alot of friends / family / business I know would be discouraged and not enter and maybe not even take that nonsense easily at all. My brother for one would be volunteering to woop the dude's ass JUST for being a jerk. Dude's going to step on the wrong toes one day!
Legally, if it is not posted as "private drive" from the state on a green sign with white letters at the end of the road, then you have 25' minimum from the center of any legal access to drive/park on (excluding in front of fire hydrants, in front of driveways, otherwise marked, ect.). Even talking about unmarked access easements. NCDOT made it state wide no matter what any deeds have to say in 1996. Bottom line on this topic is that uncuthness has no place in life regardless the situation... :beer:
My situation was exactly like that with my neighbor when I surveyed the property with gun remarks, alot of cussing and even the law eventually showing up. I had to have the owner come to the property before I was able to step foot on it the next day to finish up and now my new neighbor has got an ugly as hell 8' high fence put up between us exactly 13 inches from his back deck along the property line, lost his access to his rear yard around his house all together and now recently had an anonomous phone call to the health dept.:flipoff2: A simple question or two as mentioned from the second dude would have settled the whole matter. And a little sugar instead of vinagar would have salvaged most of the issues from my neighbor except for the septic issue. I had one of those evil jeckyl laughs when I smelt something and peeped between the slats to see a brown liquid seeping out of the ground.:lol: My revenge is complete now and I will open my gates with lawn chairs and a cooler with cold ones to watch when they excavate if that's even an option. The health dept. dude has already done his work probing over there and the matter is probably pending with NCDENR weather to allow or even condemn considering they have no other septic field options left since they are already 80% impervious with a 3br house and shop with an apartment going into the same tank. Their lot is only .4 acres, we live in the Durham Basin and on top of that we are in the toughest zone (A) for Raleigh's drinking water being within .5 miles from the upper Falls Lake. Needless to say they have not looked me in the eye since this past episode.

Detain = they will go to jail for a long time kidnap or if they have a weapon it get worst. When i was younger i work for a guy that i bought a car from i quite he wanted money for the car, He locked door and stood in front of it with a gun, After a long fight and him getting stabbed twice he got arrested for kidnapping he got 12 years.. These people might to find another way of getting people to leave them alone

Ive ended up on that road a few times, not paying attention, shit happens. Never had a guy come at me like that, not even gonna lie I would probably piss them off a whole lot worse before it got better. We just turned around and regrouped before heading off back on the trail.

Maybe, he was afraid you'd see his Pot plants, or Meth lab.
Simular happened to me years ago, in Brevard. Three of us got seperated from the trail leader, & turned up a private road. Ended up turning around at a guys house. Never got off the driveway, or road, but the resident came running out with a pistol, & a dog. Wondered why we couldn't read the private rd. signs. May have been a no tresspass, can't remember. Told him who our "local" leader was, which he knew, but didn't care for.
Once we got back to the group, our leader acknowledged, this was the biggest ASS, in Brevard. Trails crossed lots of private land, but all locals/hunters, had agreement for access.:fuck-you:

I think the Haltwanger Retreat (big cabin) is near this "neighborhood".

We stayed at the cabin a few weeks ago and it's one road up so it can't be that far. I thought about a bottle rocket attack, but I don't want to start a forest fire.

Anyone want to help build a Pumpkin Chunker? Ot watermelon. Or cantaloupe.

Back