Strapping down your rig to your trailer

Resurrecting an old thread I know, but is there a reason nobody goes through rim around tire and ties down? Was looking at these.

I think it’s really trailer and vehicle specific. A lot of times you get a lot of surface area contact with the strap and the tire - especially offroad rigs with wide tires- and the rubber isn’t a solid secure point so it adds wiggle and the tire compresses or deflects.

So what is the opinion on this style of strap? The over the tire straps?
Amazon product ASIN B07S6BYR4X
I saw them in action my last trip and thought they were a great idea. Am I wrong and should I just stay with traditional axle straps?

So what is the opinion on this style of strap? The over the tire straps?
Amazon product ASIN B07S6BYR4X
I saw them in action my last trip and thought they were a great idea. Am I wrong and should I just stay with traditional axle straps?
Muddy tires will just trash them.

Resurrecting an old thread I know, but is there a reason nobody goes through rim around tire and ties down? Was looking at these.

i just purchased those straps for my xj ive tried them around the wheel like they showed online it allowed my xj to roll on the trailer so i just run them through the rim and love it

Those are great til a tire leaks down while you are towing. I use them in junkers, but I watch them like a hawk.

Not if you go around the tire instead of through it. Although retreating the strap is soooo hard.l
Not hard, just more steps/time for securing your vehicle, esp when you are anal about how your straps are setup.

Also, a leaking tire will make any strap loose, unless it has a way to tighten itself.

I asked this question but I have gotten to the point where front axle straps and rear weld on hooks and straps to them. I can load and be tied down in less than 10 minutes. I trust what I have and towed that way cross country. Straps are fairly cheap so I will replace straps every 1-2 years depending on how worn they get. Between living close to uwharrie and me traveling I have wheeled almost every week this year. Time loading and unloading is important for me.

Weld on axle tie down brackets and forget the rest, under 10 minutes and no straps wearing out going around axles or replacing axle straps. Wasn't there a vendor on here that was making them?
RQ has his chain over the pumpkin about the same time too. Guess as long as it is always the same vehicle.
Or just roll down the windows and run the strap thu the vehicle, on the way to the scrap yard.

Weld on axle tie down brackets and forget the rest, under 10 minutes and no straps wearing out going around axles or replacing axle straps. Wasn't there a vendor on here that was making them?
RQ has his chain over the pumpkin about the same time too. Guess as long as it is always the same vehicle.
Or just roll down the windows and run the strap thu the vehicle, on the way to the scrap yard.
I found 4 points (mostly control arm mounts) where I can run a 6ft chain and binder to 4 corners and be strapped down in less than 5 minutes. When you go wheeling as often as I do, it's important that it not be a major inconvenience :D

I found 4 points (mostly control arm mounts) where I can run a 6ft chain and binder to 4 corners and be strapped down in less than 5 minutes. When you go wheeling as often as I do, it's important that it not be a major inconvenience :D
I hear ya, an extra 5 minutes divided by 10 years is no laughing matter :flipoff2:

I hear ya, an extra 5 minutes divided by 10 years is no laughing matter :flipoff2:
5 minutes is 10% of the 50 minutes per year I actually wheel 👍

Seriously if the friction between the tires and the road are enough to hold it in place on steep inclines. It should be more than enough to hold it in place on a trailer. It is a waste of time to use straps, chains or even a winch cable. Trailers with out ramps are the best because it saves weight. My tj has just enough power to tow my mud bog truck. I don't need the extra weight of ramps, chains and straps weighing it down.

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

I use ratchet straps with a snap hook on the vehicle end and chain w/ hook on trailer end. Axle strap each corner, hooked to the snap hook. Run the chain around and through a stake pocket. With the chain end, no worries about cutting a strap or anything.
I get mine from Ratchetstraps.com for a great price. Tons of colors and whatever configuration you want.

4 sleeved axle straps and ratchet straps with snap hook ends on four corners pulling outwards to the welded on d rings has kept the different shitboxes attached to the trailer over the years. I got all my stuff compliments of the army through a “reclamation process”.

Friend of mine uses lengths of old firehose on his straps with great success and longevity.

Back