street legal dirt bike

orange150

found a dirt bike i could buy for cheap... real cheap and was wondering if it is possible to make it street legal by adding all the proper lights, etc. to it. it's a Honda XR200rs from either the late 80s or 90s, I haven't been able to find much on it on google.

I looked into this a while back, I was told you could convert it over with a kit, but never found said kit. I wouldn't mind an option like this since I'm now dropping $80 in my ZJ tank now :rolleyes:

I looked into this a while back, I was told you could convert it over with a kit, but never found said kit. I wouldn't mind an option like this since I'm now dropping $80 in my ZJ tank now :rolleyes:

Wouldn't think that'd be a terribly comfy cummute

Riiiiiin -yin-yin-yin-yin-yinnnnnnn

allright, found some info on it, it is a 1984-85 XR200R. The guy said find out what its worth and you can have it. I tinkered with it a little yesterday and this is what i know: it needs two new tires, the suspension needs some air or something in them (F&R have schraider valves) the carb needs rebuilding, i got it started with carb cleaner and starting fluid but it won't idle, the muffler is blown out, and the front and rear lights dont work. anyone with some knowledge know what this bike is worth? or a place where i could take it and have some one give me a quote? it did run great though and the transmission shifted fine.

Wouldn't think that'd be a terribly comfy cummute
Riiiiiin -yin-yin-yin-yin-yinnnnnnn

To go from a $16 a day commute to a $0.75 a day commute.. I'll suck it up.

Oh and it depends on what you get...

Yaaaa -maaaaaaa- haaaaaaa
Suuuuuu -zuuuuu -kiiiiiiiii
hoooooonnnn -daaaaaaaa

but I'd prefer:
HARLEY HARLEY HARLEY HARLEY

in short no you cant make one street legal in NC, the bike has to come from the factory made street legal with a plate attached to the frame denoting it as street legal which is looked for upon inspection, you can insure it and maybe get it registered if its got a vin but it will never be totally street legal, plus you gotta add head light/tail light turnsignals and at least 1 mirror, its much easier to buy a bike that is already dual purpose/ street legal dirbike

i had a 86 xr200 i sold to my buddy who got plates on it in a matter of 2 weeks... not sure how but he did it and from what i hear he is still riding it around town (5 years later)

Most just need a good tune up, valve adjusting, carb cleaning, oil change and air filter.

Rob the DOT stuff from one of the dead China Scooters that are a dime a dozzen. The XR already has enough out put at the stator for a basic scooter regulator signals and lights.

The 84-85 isn't a bad bike but most are beat down and questionable if they are not running now. If YOU are loooking to ride it on the road and make it depndable and have to ask these kinds of questions this is probally not the bike for you.

Honda is very bad about nothing fitting nothing from one year to the next. BUt these are popular bikes, The 87 -88 XR 200 was the best. As these were built as actual competition bikes. Around about 1989 they redesigned them to be cheap entry level beginner machines.

Might try thumpertalk.com for more...

Before I put the $$ in an older bike and try to get it street legal I looked at a KLR 650 new or used. The are fun to ride and have a ton of aftermarket support. There are always several for sale on eBay. If you can hold out a deal can be had on one.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Motorcy...0650QQ_catZ6024QQ_fxdZ1QQ_pcatsZ6000QQ_ptasZ1

I'm thinking it would be a good cause for our tax check. My wife thinks otherwise.

<><Fish

found a dirt bike i could buy for cheap... real cheap and was wondering if it is possible to make it street legal by adding all the proper lights, etc. to it. it's a Honda XR200rs from either the late 80s or 90s, I haven't been able to find much on it on google.

in a short answer, NO, you can't., If it didn't come from the factory with the vin plate stating it was intended to be street legal than you can't make it here in nc. You can add all the lights and whatnot, but won't work in this state. Learned that the hard way. Save your money and get a real enduro (street legal dual purpose bike)

in a short answer, NO, you can't., If it didn't come from the factory with the vin plate stating it was intended to be street legal than you can't make it here in nc. You can add all the lights and whatnot, but won't work in this state. Learned that the hard way. Save your money and get a real enduro (street legal dual purpose bike)

That is where the Vermont license plate and registration comes in. They said you could do it all my mail. They had the tags on their bikes to prove it. I met two guys riding XR's who had done this when I was riding my dirt bike out on the Painter Blvd loop around GSO when it was under construction.

that klr looks good but i am looking for cheap, like 2-500 for the bike then whatever needs to be done to make it street legal, if i cant do it for that i feel like its not really worth my time or money... or not right now anyways.

I, hardtaco, metto and few others have had street legal dirtbikes for the last 1.5 years. they are the coolest thing since slap braclets. I just sold my 2000 suzuki DRZ for $2k with 5k miles on it, great bike no problem well worth the money, if i was to buy another one thats what i would get. I converted a husquvarna TC250 to be streetlegal but it came w/ a New jersey title. If you hav a title you can get a plate. making it truly steetlegal can be expensive depending on bike, stator upgrades ect.

it will be cheaper to just buy a dualsport i recomend the DRZ 400 they are sweet.

making it truly steetlegal can be expensive

key word there was truly.
my bro-in-law (who is storing this bike for his buddy, the guy selling) liked it so much after we had it running that he up and bought it... bastard. So now that my imagination has been sparked for cheap bikes I looked and found a 1986 Yamaha TT350, still toying with street driving....

dr350 all the way. thats what i drive now and its a blast. they can be had pretty cheap and mine gets about 55-60 mpg crusing around town

That is where the Vermont license plate and registration comes in. They said you could do it all my mail. They had the tags on their bikes to prove it. I met two guys riding XR's who had done this when I was riding my dirt bike out on the Painter Blvd loop around GSO when it was under construction.

This was true years ago, but go ahead and try to do it now... If your bike has an offroad designator in the vin, short of being the governors mistress...you're screwed. It's bullshit, yes--but it's how the ncdmv is.

I'm a Yamaha Fan
ai9.photobucket.com_albums_a53_whitfimb_little_20bikes_PB140881.jpg

ai9.photobucket.com_albums_a53_whitfimb_YZ400F_93716.jpg

But I picked this (Garage kept 400 miles) 1998 DR350S up last fall for much less then a set of 34" LTB Swampers

ai9.photobucket.com_albums_a53_whitfimb_YZ400F_DR350.jpg

I've got a few Older Honda Street Legal Trials bikes too. TLR200 Reflex

ai9.photobucket.com_albums_a53_whitfimb_little_20bikes_P2100018.jpg

I prefer the XR 250 for a great do anything bike it can even fake being legal if necessary (Headlight, tail light, Tag, & Mirror). Just don't fake the insurance.

ai9.photobucket.com_albums_a53_whitfimb_little_20bikes_P2090015.jpg

OK, Im sure Im beating a dead horse here, but, just thought of something last night; what about people who build bikes from the frame up? Do they have to be inspected and givin a VIN and title like you would for a home made trailer? If so wouldn't that work for making one street legal.

Back