Summer Camps for kids

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
what different summer camps are out there? My twin girls are 8. They love the outdoors and are adventurous. They also love the water and beach as well as horses.

As a kid I used to go to various soccer camps each summer as well as Camp Cheerio and Seafarer.

We have the girls set up for the horse and beach at Camp Albemarle.

What other cool kids camps does everyone recommend? Mostly looking for week long overnight camps.

Now that its possible, might they want to get into "Scouts BSA"? At 8, they'd still be Cubs, which for the summer is usually a week long day-camp, but once they hit 10 as Webelos they could do a sleepover summer camp. The real fun starts in 6th grade once they cross over to the new equivalent to Boy Scouts.

If you where in the Raleigh area my sister-in-law teaches and owns a small farm camp for just girls where they work with a Animals and ride horses but it’s not sleep over if your interested let me know it’s right off 540 in Raleigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is $1500-1900 per week the normal range for these type summer camps? I have just started to look at these and am in sticker shock so far...

I’ve seen church camps in the $400 range but a non-church camp is going to typically start at $800 or more. I’d expect to budget about $1200 for a week.

Camp Cheerio is YMCA, so I think we have to be members to go or it’s more $. I’m already a member so I really didn’t look that far. It’s $1160 per week per kid. I’m supportive of this camp because I used to go to it a lot as a kid and had a great time. Because I’m in Greenville, it’s much further away than Hickory where I grew up and the kids and wife are nervous about being so far away for so long for their first time at camp. I don’t see where it matters; I’m not coming to get them mid week, so even if it’s in GA, doesn’t matter to me.

If you where in the Raleigh area my sister-in-law teaches and owns a small farm camp for just girls where they work with a Animals and ride horses but it’s not sleep over if your interested let me know it’s right off 540 in Raleigh

Yeah send me some info

We have a friend with a cabin next door to Camp Celo - Home. We stay there a few days in the summer when the camp is going on. Sounds similar-ish to what @karatejosh posted. The kids sleep outdoors in canvas tents (on raised wooden platforms). They do various farm chores like milk the cows, feed other animals, work in the gardens, and typical camp stuff too like play games, swim in the river, sing songs, etc. It's a little bit hippy, but honestly looks like a fun camp.

Dates and Rates | Hollymont

This is a private Christian girls camp, so rates are steep. I worked at the guys camp (Camp Rockmont) and I must say both are very nice camps. Outside of Black Mtn, NC. It would be quite the drive from Greenville for only a one week stay.

There are a ton of summer camps in the black mountain area. And several all boy and all girls if I remember right.

We have done work at a couple.

We have a small farm with chickens, ducks, goats, pigs and a donkey. They can come stay for a week and help out to learn about the farm life like shoveling shit and feed and stuff. Just a thought.

Actually, we like those type of options. With our land and house we build this year, we are going to have some chickens, goats, donkey, etc so it’s going to be good for the kids to learn that stuff. :D

Since scouts have turned into a bunch of old men touching kids and bs these days, I’ve been looking into the young marine program for our 9 year old, they have a good summer camp and program in general that my 7month old son will be part of in good time. but it’s obviously what it sounds like and not just play time, which when I was in scouts back in early 90s we weren’t allowed to only have play time in camp either! There also is a pt test to be able to do certain things... https://members.youngmarines.com/YM_UPLOADS/LibraryDownloads/2019 Catalog_V2.pdf

Send them to a camp the mountains...it's cool enough in the summer to be outside and have fun. Just be sure to schedule swimming for the afternoon when it warms up some.

Camp Harrison in Boomer, NC not far from North Wilkesboro. We go there every year over Labor Day weekend for 'Family Camp'. My son absolutely loves it. We will send him there for a week of summer camp when he is ready. The cabins even have A/C.

YMCA of Greater Charlotte - Camp Harrison

Back