Superduty front 60 axle information

toyota231

Looking to see if anyone can help me with some information on the difference between a superduty front 60 in an f250/350 vs the f450/550. I can find the center section parts diagram that leads to the gears, center chunk, etc being the same. What I'm needing to know is whether the knuckles are the same, and everything changes at the wheel bearing and brakes or are the knuckles different? Almost forgot Im speaking on the 05 to 07 year ranges.

I'm gathering parts to convert my 2000 dodge 2500 2wd over to a 4wd dually. I've found a steal on a 550 rear from an 07. I already have an 05 front 60 from a 250 that I have very little in, so I'm just trying to gather the info to make a decision on whether to use what I have and convert it to 10 lug or just find a correct 550 front axle. Keep in mind most of the 450/550 fronts I find are in the $1200 to $1500 range (not saying it's not a reasonable price) but I only have $200 in the 250 axle I have. I don't mind buying a different axle, just weighing the options.

Pretty sure the axle shafts are main difference with 1550 vs 1480 joints. Was just under a f450 yesterday and everything looked the same as my 08 axle but had the 1550 joints.

I seem to recall the knuckles being different also, in those years. The unit bearings can swap between 8 lug and 10 lug. For what you are doing, I think you could swap unit bearings. I can't say for sure about the brakes being interchangeable.

@Bebop might know for sure.

I seem to recall the knuckles being different also, in those years. The unit bearings can swap between 8 lug and 10 lug. For what you are doing, I think you could swap unit bearings. I can't say for sure about the brakes being interchangeable.

@Bebop might know for sure.
I was thinking that would be the case. I haven't been able to find any measurements on whether the bearings are the same as far as mounting holes. But from what I see I think the darn caliper brackets have different width mounting holes so that leads me to believe knuckles are different, which makes using my axle not a great idea since finding the larger knuckles is harder to do.

Pretty sure the axle shafts are main difference with 1550 vs 1480 joints. Was just under a f450 yesterday and everything looked the same as my 08 axle but had the 1550 joints.
Copy that. I found a diagram that showed the stub shafts being different but with no info on why, wasn't sure if it was length of stub shaft or u joint size, but your info helps, so thank you sir.

Copy that. I found a diagram that showed the stub shafts being different but with no info on why, wasn't sure if it was length of stub shaft or u joint size, but your info helps, so thank you sir.
It's only the stub shaft ujoint difference as far as that part goes

Looking to see if anyone can help me with some information on the difference between a superduty front 60 in an f250/350 vs the f450/550.

From a buddy that converted an F-450 to 4WD and had a +05 F-350 60 regeared to use... bolted in just fine, but when he attached the F-450 TR, the tires were like /--o-------\

So his finding is that the WMS of an F-450/550 axle is definitely wider by 2"-3" than the F-250/350 versions...

There are a lot of little differences that would likely benefit you to find a matching front. Bolt pattern, track width, steering, gear ratio just to name a few. I'm sure you can make the F250 front work, but you will probably end up money ahead to just sell it and get the right thing. Another option might be the Magna Steyr front they use in the Ram 4500/5500's. Not sure if the steering, calipers, driveshaft, etc might match up better to your Dodge stuff. The F550 and 4500/5500 use the same rearend and bolt pattern, but I don't know if the track width is the same.

From a buddy that converted an F-450 to 4WD and had a +05 F-350 60 regeared to use... bolted in just fine, but when he attached the F-450 TR, the tires were like /--o-------\

So his finding is that the WMS of an F-450/550 axle is definitely wider by 2"-3" than the F-250/350 versions...
After doing a ridiculous amount of research on a subject with little info I am finding out the same thing. I'm only going off of crappy interweb pics but it looks to me like the knuckles are a large contributor to the extra track width. To me they look much different, but again that's just from interweb pics on a crappy phone. Thanks for the info.

There are a lot of little differences that would likely benefit you to find a matching front. Bolt pattern, track width, steering, gear ratio just to name a few. I'm sure you can make the F250 front work, but you will probably end up money ahead to just sell it and get the right thing. Another option might be the Magna Steyr front they use in the Ram 4500/5500's. Not sure if the steering, calipers, driveshaft, etc might match up better to your Dodge stuff. The F550 and 4500/5500 use the same rearend and bolt pattern, but I don't know if the track width is the same.
Honestly I was figuring just buying a matching front would be better, it was worth the conversation though. I thought the Ram used the same bolt pattern but also wasn't sure on the track width. I've been trying to find a matching set of 450/550 axles but just have not been having a lot of luck on finding someone parting one out for a reasonable price here lately. I don't even know why in the heck I keep going back to wanting the 450/550 axles over just standard dually axles, I'm not looking to tow ridiculously heavy, I guess I just want the 10 lug and figure doing airbag suspension would just be cooler on big axles. Guess we will see soon.

After doing a ridiculous amount of research on a subject with little info I am finding out the same thing. I'm only going off of crappy interweb pics but it looks to me like the knuckles are a large contributor to the extra track width. To me they look much different, but again that's just from interweb pics on a crappy phone. Thanks for the info.
The 450+ axles are wider from ball joint to ball joint. There are 350 "fat boy" axles with the same spacing and WMS. The 350 and 450 pickups use 8-lug wheels, C&C are 10. Not sure on brake interchange.

The 450+ axles are wider from ball joint to ball joint. There are 350 "fat boy" axles with the same spacing and WMS. The 350 and 450 pickups use 8-lug wheels, C&C are 10. Not sure on brake interchange.
To build on that info a little, 2005-current F450 pickups have a Super 60 front with wider track and bigger brakes and 10 lug hubs. 2005-2010 and 2015-current F450 pickups have a Dana 110 or 135 rear rated at 14k or 16k. 2011-2014 F450 pickups have the same wide Super 60 front, but a Dana 80 rear rated at 9750 or something, and 8x200 bolt pattern all the way around. The Fatboy F350s have the same axles as the 2011-2014 F450 pickups. All F450 and F550 Cab and Chassis trucks have the Super 60 front, D110 or D135 rear, and 10x225 bolt pattern.

x2. The 450 axles have wider housings. The knuckles are larger, with a bigger balljoint spread, but the width is the same. The inner shafts between 250/350 & 450+ are different, due to the housing widths, but the outer shafts are the same length for all of them.

The 10lug hubs and spacers are also wider than their 8 lug counterparts. They both have the same mounting pattern and size, and are interchangeable to the knuckle/shafts. There isnt much info out there about the brakes, as most folks in the offroad world swap to something smaller. Looking at the parts, it looks like they have different mounting dimensions.

Everything is different except the gears and differential between a front axle in a 05+ 250/350 and 450/550.

Some things will bolt in from a 250/350 into a 450/550 and vice versa (like the unit bearings) but nothing will interchange fully (in case fo the UBs you go from 10 to 8 lugs etc).

Be careful with the name "Super 60" since it can mean multiple things. I don't use it for that reason.

You haven't done much research then. There is a 200+ page topic on pirate4x4 that recaps most of everything to know on those axles and the 250/350 to 450/550 differences are thoroughly explained.

Back