Suspension lift for 81 CJ-7. BD or BDS? 32" or 33" tires?

danattherock

Been working on my Jeep slowly over the last two years. Got the motorcraft carb, ignition upgrade, etc.. and that made a huge difference. Took old seats and carpet out, got rust off tub with wire brush, painted with POR15, and put new seats and carpet kit in. New roll bar padding, bikini top, etc.. New mirrors, stainless hood kit, fender flares, etc.. Trying to keep it original as possible. Even making a top pad for my center console to keep it factory original.

Work out of state 10 months of the year, but home now for 3-6 months and wanting to get some work done. Suspension lift, tires, and paint job with decal kit from Collins Brothers are next in line. Restoring to factory original in most aspects, but do want a mild lift and some bigger tires. Curious about the Black Diamond 3" and BDS 2.5" kit. Wondering if anyone had any opinions on these. Also, wondering what size tires. Seems I was told 33" would fit, but I am using my factory wheels. I am stripping the clear coat off and reapplying clear coat. Hoping to get 33" tires on them, but not 100% positive this will work out.

I am pretty new to Jeep parts and upgrades. Is is a one piece rear axle/drive shaft that is such a popular upgrade. I don't do any serious off roading, just trail riding and such. But would be nice to upgrade a weak link if applicable. Working in garage today and will snap off some pics of the recent upgrades to the Jeep and post here later. Thanks for any info.

Dan

Some pics from today...

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3485_5710793871_4abc21940e_o.jpg

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2066_5711353990_d64a132301_o.jpg

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2351_5710794071_7a9c0fbdfb_o.jpg

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3070_5711354212_b9c4abe52e_o.jpg

Older image showing the POR15 going on before carpet...

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3593_3317594632_b6b12c8181_z.jpg_78d565b723da07eb5656c0531b31036f.jpg

I really like the BDS 2 1/2" lift kit, I'm running one on one of my CJ's. You should be able to run 33's (i'm running 35's with a 1" Body lift). the stock wheels should work if they are the 8" wide versions, I would run 33's on the 7" wide ones.
If you dont plan to run a rear locker and plan only light trail riding will be fine. Just make sure that he Axle nuts on that rear 20 are torqued properly.

Thanks for the reply.

Any suggestion for 33" tires for my factory rims. Trail riding and 70% road. Looking for some agressive pattern good off road, but not terrible on the highway. Thanks for any comment.

Dan

Hard to beat the BFG AT for a good all around tire. I like the new Wrangler MTRs but not hte price. The BFG KM 2's are really nice if you want somthing a little more agressive but are still excellant on the highway.

Thank you. I will check them out. Just not sure what will fit on my factory rims. I don't know jack about tires.

I have the 3 inch BD lift kit and have been very disappointed in the kit. It flexes great offroad but the springs have sagged very quickly. I have even had rear springs replaced under warranty and the new ones sagged very soon. I would not recommend this kit.

Im in the process of converting the CJ over to a BDS YJ 3.5" kit. It should be a lot better.

Im in the process of converting the CJ over to a BDS YJ 3.5" kit. It should be a lot better.

This is what I would do it is very simple conversional and you end up with 2" wide springs at all four corners. I used stock YJ springs when I did my SOA on my 79 CJ5 and I could not have been happier with ride and flex.

Thanks man.

Does anyone have an opinion on wheel spacers?

Wondering about the 2.5" BDS kit with wheel spacers and running 33's. Also, one piece axles are in my future I suspect. Any idea on what they cost?

Thanks for any info.

-Dan

I really like the BDS 2 1/2" lift kit, I'm running one on one of my CJ's. You should be able to run 33's (i'm running 35's with a 1" Body lift). the stock wheels should work if they are the 8" wide versions, I would run 33's on the 7" wide ones.
If you dont plan to run a rear locker and plan only light trail riding will be fine. Just make sure that he Axle nuts on that rear 20 are torqued properly.

James is the man on CJ's!!

i agree...i have a 4in BDS and love it..rides good and if they sag, you can take them back and they'll replace them..i've done it before and Tarheel took them back without an issue...
great looking CJ by the way!!

brian

Thanks man.
Does anyone have an opinion on wheel spacers?
Wondering about the 2.5" BDS kit with wheel spacers and running 33's. Also, one piece axles are in my future I suspect. Any idea on what they cost?
Thanks for any info.
-Dan

I ran 2" inch spacers on my 79 CJ5 without issue and I have 2" spacers on my TJ right now and they don't seem to be giving any issues. Just be sure to torque them properly and check torque every so often and spacers can be run safely.

One thing a lot of people mention is front steering geometry when running spacers but I am running them with stock wheels so I can't see how 2" inch spacers are any different than having 2" difference on back spacing of the wheels.

Thanks. Put a deposit on my stuff and had it ordered today. 2.5" BDS lift kit, five 33" BFG mud T/A's, and four 1.5" spacers. Will be installed next Wed. Can't wait.

Dan

I have BDS 2.5" lift and HD shackles with 3/8" lift on my 83 CJ7 , running 33x12.50x15 on 10" rims ,also a set on 8" rims . They are fine 98% of the time on the road , once in a while the rear fender flares get rubbed on a deep dip ( like pulling in or out of a steep drive ) and also on a very sharp turn( steering wheel turned all the way ) they rub on the innner front fender but you are going so slow , when you hear it , you just back off the turn a little .

Back