T-case help

98_tj

under water
I am having an issue with my np231 on my jeep. When I tighten the yoke nut, the tcase locks up and doesn't spin. Any idea what's causing this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sye, I found one issue, the yoke that I have was from Oliver's driveline and it is for a 1350 yoke, the diameter on the outside is bigger than the stock one and destroyed the oring seal. I think it was pinching the seal between the yoke and bearing. I am calling tomorrow to see if they have the correct seal, or a yoke with a different diameter on the OD.

Sye, I found one issue, the yoke that I have was from Oliver's driveline and it is for a 1350 yoke, the diameter on the outside is bigger than the stock one and destroyed the oring seal. I think it was pinching the seal between the yoke and bearing. I am calling tomorrow to see if they have the correct seal, or a yoke with a different diameter on the OD.

Remove seal, reinstall yoke and see if it still bottoms out

I have found the problem and I have resolved the issue. The problem is that the OD of the new 1350 yoke was hitting the shoulder inside the tail section of the tcase. After examination I took the back cover off, removed the bearing and seal. Then I carefully ground down the lip that the outer race of the bearing seats against. I did not have to remove much, I probably only had to increase the ID by 1/16", that gives me some play between that shoulder and the OD of the yoke. I will have to pick up some more RTV and ATF to seal it back up and refill it.

Back