Tail Light Laws

bad_idea

Calling all Inspectors!

I have a 90 Cherokee that I am looking to build tail light boxes into some rear quarter armor. I would like to install round trailer lights into the rear face of them - one for brake / reverse lights, and the other for turn signals. Are rear side marker lights required in NC? I have seen some guys build them into the tail light boxes, but most don't. I don't daily the jeep, but would like to be able to run it around town without issues. Thanks all!

By federal law around 1968 with some exceptions “cars” were required to have side reflectors along with front and rear marker lights. Rear trailer lights even have them. Now, where in relation to the actual “back” and “corner” I don’t know. But I just put new LED trailer lights on my wagon and it came with reflectors on the outside of the light housing. Also why if you look at any “newer” vehicle the lights wrap around as opposed to the old stuff where it was just front and rear facing. YMMV.

I believe side markers on the rear are required. This is what I did for my cherokee. The ovals are tail, brake, and reverse. The flashing amber's are dust lights. Mounted next to them are the same amber's that are wired to work as turn signals.

20230212_103532.jpg

I replaced the rear lights in my old cj years ago with flush mounted round lights. Never had a problem, but it all depends on the inspector

Is there a special application or just go to the tag office?
For a vehicle 30 years old and older, You get a normal tag. you just don’t have to get it inspected at the time you get the tag, and you never have to get it inspected again later.

My '69 Blazer is continually registered and hasn't left the garage since 2011... It does, however, have (1968) federally-mandated side reflectors which I converted to the 1970-on optional style illuminated reflectors. It will not get inspected but it is still technically possible to get a ticket for improper equipment if you get stopped for something else and the officer is being a stickler for details. My Nissan *should* have clearance lights because it is *just* over 80" wide but I never bothered with it.

Sure enough I walked in with no line and walked out with the first tag since 2016 for $45 with no questions asked!
I did the same thing with my TJ last year, and a few months later got a tax bill for 2016-2022.

Last edited:
How much in penalties?
I don't recall. I still haven't paid it. I'm wanting to say it was like $110 in tax and $20 in penalties. It was actually reasonable, but it was certainly not ethical.

I did the same thing with my TJ last year, and a few months later got a tax bill for 2016-2022.
I cannot wait for that bill on my Nissan; it has not been registered since 2016 as well. Had a bad knock sensor and since I don't drive it much it did not get fixed before registration lapsed then "life" happened and here it is seven years later. I really need to get it out of the garage and in for an inspection.

Bringing this one back to the top. I saw a couple answers sprinkled in amongst the talk of no inspections needed. I know the jeep doesn't need an inspection, hasn't for four years. It's great. My concern is a picky cop. My question still is: what is the minimum amount of lights I can get away with on the back? In VA you do not have to have reverse lights. If possible, I would like a single oval light on each side with brake and flasher lights built in. No side markers. No reverse lights.

from the statutes:

Rear Lamps. – Every motor vehicle, and every trailer or semitrailer attached to amotor vehicle and every vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles,shall have all originally equipped rear lamps or the equivalent in good working order, whichlamps shall exhibit a red light plainly visible under normal atmospheric conditions from adistance of 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle. One rear lamp or a separate lamp shall be soconstructed and placed that the number plate carried on the rear of such vehicle shall under likeconditions be illuminated by a white light as to be read from a distance of 50 feet to the rear ofsuch vehicle

Backup Lamps. – Every motor vehicle originally equipped with white backup lampsshall have those lamps in operating condition.

Yea I just got a tax bill for not registering my nova from 2016-19

My Fairlane hasn’t had a tag for 20 something years but I haven’t had the title.
I should be going down this road in the next couple months with registration, title and CRUSING!

I need a 1960 NC tag if anyone is holding.

My Fairlane hasn’t had a tag for 20 something years but I haven’t had the title.
I should be going down this road in the next couple months with registration, title and CRUSING!

check ebay. you can get some decent ones on there for decent

Isn't the big car show at Charlotte motor speedway like 4 weeks from now? Should be plenty of tags to buy there.

Isn't the big car show at Charlotte motor speedway like 4 weeks from now? Should be plenty of tags to buy there.
I probably won’t be ready by then but thanks for the heads up. If anyone attends and can find one let me know how much to pay you.

Back