Tall and skinny

Goosedog

I'd like to go taller and narrower than the 31 / 10.50 / 15's on my '63 Willys CJ3b. I've seen other old flat-fenders with what looks like a 32 / 9.50 or the like.
Who makes these odd size tires that would fit on my 8 x 15 rims and 1" suspension lift?

Other than super swampers oddball sizes, you are not going to find much taller/skinnier than 30x9.50s for 15" wheel. Although 16" wheels give alot more tall/skinny size options like 235/85R16 as mentioned above, or 255/85R16-(33x10x16).

BFG does make 33x10.50x15 but they are a little harder to find sometimes.

Michelin xzl comes in a heavy 8.25R16 XZLs (34x9) and many other tires bigger and narrow. These tires are sometimes hard to find.
check them out
http://www.militarytires.com/

I'd like to go taller and narrower than the 31 / 10.50 / 15's on my '63 Willys CJ3b. I've seen other old flat-fenders with what looks like a 32 / 9.50 or the like.
Who makes these odd size tires that would fit on my 8 x 15 rims and 1" suspension lift?

Looks like you want taller tires with less chance of rub. I would figure out what tire size you want; 32 33 34 36 or 38 and then I would get the rim to fit my application. Those tires above can be found under 10.5 wide and you can slightly change the hight and width and the over all look/performance with the rim width.

I would get new rims if I were you something a few inches narrower than 8" or maybe a different backspacing. I have radius arms on my 69 bronco and my 97 4Runner so I have width issues with rims/tires also. My 4Runner was solved with 2.5" backspaced 16x10 rims to fit 38.5x13 xmls. My bronco has uncut rear/front fenders so I am looking towards a more tradition off set wheel that is narrow that is between 16"x6 or 7" wide with 2" offset. I want to run 35-38s on the bronco and need it to be 9.5" or i will rub(5.5 lift).

the best working modern tire/rim combo I found for my stock 1950 M38 was 30-9.5-15 on 8 inch rims with very little back spacing.My front hubs were protected and the tires would tuck in both the front flat fenders and rear wheel wells really good.Wore them out and picked up 31 10fiddys and lost flex while gaining lots of body scrub.Now I use these tires and rims just for special occasions.I went back to the original 4.5 wide by 16 rims and run a 7.5x16 bias ply mudgrip that is very agressive.Performance with this tire is good and it doesn't cause front end damage like the wide tires do.The only change I might do is put on a set of 1.25 wide spacers to get the tires off the rear inner wheel wells at flex.These tires are 31 inches tall.If you go to a 235/85/16,you will be closer to 32 inches tall and 8 to 8.5 inches wide.Here is a picture of what I am running

Attachments

• 100_0787-1.jpg
    100_0787-1.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 8,330
imo i think the stock wheels and bias tire combo looks the best....

I've run the 7.0 x 16 NDT's on 4.5 steel rims and hated 'em on the road, they were only fair in the woods.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v419_Goosedog_The_20Willys_IMG_6452.jpg

Then went to the 31 x 10.50 x 15's on 8 x 15 Bronco rims and loved the ride on the road and in the woods.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v419_Goosedog_The_20Willys_IMG_6748.jpg

Now I want the taller look and the better traction in one and it looks like the Swampers are the ticket, anyone know about some used ones for sale? $200/ea for new is way over my budget.
And hey ord.sgt.26NC, where's that trail in your pic?

that is over in the Uwharrie National Forest.We ride there quite often.Click on the 4x4everyone in my sig and join into our group.We are geared more towards stocker to moderatly modified rigs or new to the sport wheelers. Anytime you wanna go wheelin,holler up. Jimmy

that is over in the Uwharrie National Forest.We ride there quite often.Click on the 4x4everyone in my sig and join into our group.We are geared more towards stocker to moderatly modified rigs or new to the sport wheelers. Anytime you wanna go wheelin,holler up. Jimmy

Thanks for the offer. I've known about Uwarrie for years and have wanted to haul the dirtbike over there but there's just too many great places over here in the western part of the state like Brown Mtn and Wayehutta. I wish I could take the Willys to Wayehutta but they are bikes only. I also thought I'd heard Uwarrie was closing down just like Tellico, hopefully that was just an ugly rumor. If I ever get a rig to haul the jeep, I'll be coming your way.

runnin 33x10.50 bfg muds on my Bronco on stock wheels. not sure if they still make that size in a mud terrain, but i think you can get them in an all terrain?

aclassicbroncos.com_photos_data_500_medium_yellow_bronc_right.jpg

good to see you over here goose, i still want you to take a look at my 610sm!
Was over at FBI the other day and David was telling me you were into jeeps now.

good to see you over here goose, i still want you to take a look at my 610sm!
Was over at FBI the other day and David was telling me you were into jeeps now.

You better hurry on the 610, sold it and it's on it's way to Hawaii next week. Maybe see ya on the trail though, I'd like to take this Willys up Hurrican Creek soon.
And thanks for the pic jcramsey, that's the look I'm going for.

just rumors on UNF man.She is in there good and strong.I googled your town and saw your location.Think about coming up to Mountain City in july with us.You will have a ball there.

you gotta walk a fine line with these closed knuckle front ends we have.I've dropped knuckles,riped a steering bell crank off the frame,and spattered spider/side gears all the while running 30x9.5 MTrs and 31x10fiddys mud grips.That is why I went to the 7.5x16 mudgrips.It brought the leverage back to good levels on my knuckles and less stress on the spiders too.Not the best stickin tires out there but hey they work.Also that dana44 rear you have is a 19 spline-tapered shaft axle so width is the killer on it also.It will twist the hub on the shaft and twist the shaft at the splines.Luckily my rear is a flanged offset dana44 so it is modern and extremely strong for the horse power I'm putting out.I recently put a spartan lunch box locker in my rear so I'm curious if I'm going to see an improvement while running the narrow tires.Folks would point and laugh if I ran 7.5s on the front while running 10fiddys on the rear.Same height,just width different.

Thanks for the info Sarg. And let me ask a stupid question, will the taller tires make the gearing on my jeep taller or shorter?

It's already hard to take off in first, no granny in my tranny, and I don't wanna make that worse with taller tires.
I'm thinking it's the other way around, could be that I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning though. :rolleyes:

And BTW BenXJ, that's a beautiful Toyota! I used to have a '76 SR5 PU and still miss it.

the taller the tire,the taller the gears.You should have 5.38 or possibly 4.27.Either way your engine is only rated at 75 horses.I would think anything taller than 31 inches and it's gonna kill your performance.My gear train is the same as yours and that t90 3 speed isn't geared too terribly low.Your brakes aren't gonna apreciate a bigger tire either unless you have changed from the 9 inch brakes. I'm running 11 inch drums on the front and 10 inch in the rears.Also changed from the single res. MC to a dual res. MC.

Look,my 7.5x16 are 31 inches tall and I go where I want with little trouble.Yea I pull strap once in a great while but I am secure in my manhood and have no quelms about that. With one inch of lift,you should flex well with a 31 inch tire but IMHO you would be killing yourself and your rig with anything taller esp. if you have 4.27 gears.

Back