Tap and Die Set

rbo1577186

OK, taking opinions, With some XMas money I'm wantin to get a tap and die set for the old toolbox. My budget is $300. 2 good guys I work with said to spend the $ on a good set, don't bother with the Harbor Freight crap. Any recommendations from anyone?

correct, get a quality set, they break easy enough without being made of inferior trash.

Shop around, paying cash on the tool trucks (if you have them available to you) goes for making a better deal. Matco and Snap-on pretty much have the same set, Cornhole probably does too. make 'em price match.

I bought my set from Matco on sale for $179, made by Hansen, branded Matco. regular retail was $230. even with a "Set" there will be taps that aren't there that you'll need cuz you'll never know till you need 'em.

be sure to get a set of Tap "flute remover" extractors as well, for the time when you do break a tap in a place you really don't want to have to disassenmble.

Kevin

our snap on guy tried to sell me the master set for 200 the other day, i didnt have the cash to buy it though

I was going to say the hanson stuff sems to hold up well. I'd look for them. As long as you keep 'em clean and use some oil on the taps, they'll hold up well. I've got a matco branded set I've had for a good 20 years that I've broken maybe 1/2 dozen of.

When tapping or retapping a hole, make sure you turn in, back off, turn in, back off. That clears the threads. Only cut maybe 1/4 to 3/8th at a time in a blind hole cutting fresh threads. Remove the tap, clean the hole, relube and go again. I've watch a lot of people break taps off trying to do 1/2" of threads all at once. In a through hole, just blast some brake clean around it, relube and get to cutting. :beer:

Back