TBI Swap to Small Block Chevy - It runs

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
TBI Swap to Small Block Chevy - It runs

Well alot has been done in the last few weeks (or has it been months?) I plumed the fuel lines to the YJ tank and used the stock 4cyl EFI pump the GM TBI only needs 9-15 ish PSI to run properly and the 4cyl elec. pumps are in that range...

I had some problems with my wiring. I had thought I wired my ECM to the correct power lead off the switch but I didn't I was dropping power while cranking. (kinda need the ECM when your trying to start things up) Commone mistake from what i read. Traced my switch out and will be fixing that this coming week. I jumpered the ECM for now..

With that problem solved it STILL wasnt running. Im like what gives !! I had spark and thought i had enough fuel.. Maybe it was the wiring or some other problems from the swap... uggg.. I used a test light. (aka a former side marker lamp with some aligator clips) and cliped to each injector wire.. And tried cranking... To my relief each one pulsed as you'd expect..

But the injectors wernt doing anything.. Not clicking or anything.. So i immediatly tore the TBI off and tor it apart... of course all the gaskets crumbled never to be used again.. Luckily the parts store have a kit in stock (only $55) BUT it was complete and included a Base gasket i already spent $12 on seperatly.. SO it wasnt to bad.. I figured that even IF i could fix it. Id need the gaskets anyway to install any new or used parts.

The injectors were very 'dusty' and it was obviouse that had been sitting for a while... So with them removed I tied some wires to the inputs and briefly hit em with 12v (note this is safe as the ECM uses 12v just in very short bursts). One labord for the first click then clicked normally... The other didnt click so after a few tries i promplty smacked it on the bench and tried again.. All fixed :) I then put the TBI unit back together and used some vasoline on the gaskets to help keep them from sticking.

At this point ill add that I probably could have done the 12v and smacking stuff with the injectors still mounted and not have had to buy anything else. The kit did include the pressure regulator diaphram which i installed as the old one was very well worn, but may have worked (or not) Other advantage is I now know how to do this and could easily do this trail side or in camp under less than ideal conditions..

I hooked up the gas lines and primed the pump and hit the switch bam she fired right up !!! SWEET !!!! Its running real rich (this was expected) with the carb cam shaft in it but ill be starting some tuning this next week after i do some data logging....

Glad ya got it going, try the heavy gauge yellow wire going to the ign switch for ign power. This wire stays "hot" while starting also. Did you use the oem harness, if so what wires did you pull out to hook up, as in ign, 12v. fuel pump? I have installed a couple of these engines with the painless harness and figured it would be pretty easy to reuse the oem harness since there were only 3 wires that had to be hardwired in. As for the fuel pump, the last one i did I used the oem gm fuel pump, i removed the sending unit and cut down the fuel line so it would fit and resolderd the connections so it would plug right in.

thanks - theres a few pics and some brief outline of the wiring stuff here. http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4247

I didn't go into specific detail but in the lower pics you can see how i grafted in the Camaro fuse block and ECm stuff onto the '76 CJ harness (not much to it really) . I did use the CJ yellow leads and i 'thought' they had +12 during crank... But it didn't. (note: im also using a '91 jeep column which closer matchs the camero wiring (also a 91) so maybe somthign in there.. I did the harness really late one night.

So i checked my wires and need to basically tap the main line feeding the coil (red w/wht trace). That one goes out to the coil unfused but ill splice/resolder this to the ECM feeds on my fuse block so they are fused.

I enjoyed making the harness as i was able to do everythign myself i've got several custom features like factory relays for my fan and fuel pump. People speek highly of the kits but to me you still have to hook things up.. I'm sure the instructions of the kits save the hastles of finding diagrams of everythign..

I can snap some pics if you like. I havn't taped up the harnes on the inside yet..

When I did mine I use the stock harness I was not all that bad. I am sure glad I went with a TBI motor is is nice on the hills

Wiring looks good, i like how you used the camaro block for the extra outputs, plenty cheaper than painless kits. Are you mounting the fuseblock moorefield style on the dash??

Thanks It gonna get mounted on a small bracket off the steering column hanger/bracket and be positioned just behind the dash. Ill have a small cover with duez buttons...

Back