Tent a/c?

SHINTON

Ok...gimmick or good idea? I will prob be sleeping the back of my excursion quite a bit now and would like to have some "cool" air moving around, etc. Thought this was a pretty neat idea...

Cooleraire tent a/c sorta

Heck, if nothing else I can run the diesel all night and keep the a/c on in the truck! ;)

Sam...likes to stay cool...Hinton

Good concept, I think if you put some dry ice in the cooler it may work longer and better.

avsno2000 said:
Good concept, I think if you put some dry ice in the cooler it may work longer and better.

Althought you might NOT wake up, as the dry ice displaces the oxygen.

JB

SHINTON said:
Heck, if nothing else I can run the diesel all night and keep the a/c on in the truck! ;)

Trucking companies have stopped looking to overnight drivers taking a sleeper on the road, becaue basically, it's MUCH cheaper to rent a roach infested DIVE motel for the night than run the truck to keep the heat or AC going

What I've thought alot about is taking my large cooler, and a 15 ft garden hose, hookling the hose up to a 12 volt pump and circulating water from the cooler filled with ice in a pattern beneith my air mattress (same concept as heated floor but cold water circulating on the underside of the mattress)

But hey, thats what us dumb engineers sit around and do all day (conceptualize :D )

Sammy I've found that even just havinga small fan blowing on you works great.
you could get one from AZ etc for about $12. It plugs into your cigg lighter.
The only prob I see with AC is the ice needs to be frozen when you start to use it. Got a freezer in th back of the Excursion ? :)

JB

Rockeater said:
Althought you might NOT wake up, as the dry ice displaces the oxygen.

JB
oh crap thanks for catching that I had a brain fart,sorry Sam not trying to kill you :)

CasterTroy said:
Trucking companies have stopped looking to overnight drivers taking a sleeper on the road, becaue basically, it's MUCH cheaper to rent a roach infested DIVE motel for the night than run the truck to keep the heat or AC going

ja...mostly kidding...although I might crank it up for 10 minutes, BLAST the a/c to start the chill then turn it off and just the the fan/and this device to keep it nice and cool in there.

Usually the nights are still pretty decent around here and when we go wheeling we stay up and talk till it is cool enough to roll the windows down and sleep (cover windows with mosquito netting?)

Ok...no dry ice..thx for the tip...I have a big honkin EXTREME cooler that keeps ice for 5 days but my guess is this would melt the ice overnight. But bags of ice are cheap (esp compared to motel room)

I will prob pick it up and give her a field test!
Sam Hinton

SHINTON said:

Sam...likes to stay cool...Hinton

Not good for the engine to do that - I did sleep overnight in the Tacoma at URE during a Fun Caravan a couple of years ago, and left it running all night, more for the de-humidification...

I would think the cooler A/C would increase the humidity level...the last thing you want.

I've always been Ok with just a fan blowing on me...

I saw pics of people camping where they had taken a regular window ac unit and placed a box around it and then some duct work into 3-4 peoples tents.... Sounds like a low buck setup to me :)

I agree with the fan, i usaully bring the $15 box fan and call it good... But I plan to add a AC unit to my sleeper box, when i get it mounted.

But I agree on the over night ideling. In the last few months ive seen more/more truck even shutting down while filling up or sitting for more than a few mins..

On the small trucks (the PSDs) you can have a problem with wet stacking where fuel will build up on the top of the valves and eventually cause problems, hence the high idle the computer goes into after a while... big trucks dont have this issue...

There are no idleing laws all over. In charlotte it is 15 minutes but is rarely inforced.

Some harbor in NY wont let you idle PERIOD the rule is something like if your brakes are ingaged you shut it down. On my truck if i shut down and restart it is 10-15 minutes worth of "idle" fuel that is burned.

Back