TH350 PUKING FLUID

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
Bought a TH350 off a member here (no qualms, bought as is) and its been doing good. But it's started puking fluid out from where the district tube goes in, but only when I'm pulling a trailer. I know it leaks from the rear seal, but can't figure out why it's puking like this.

1978 C10 with a steel dump bed, 31x10.50 MTs. Trailer is just a single axle steel with wood deck, with a z turn mower.

20210522_151947.jpg

Last edited:
1 make sure it’s the dipstick and not the vacuum modulator that’s leaking
2 both have O ring seals that can be replaced
3 make sure the vent is free

I'm noticing that it's doing it after I pull up a decent hill, immediately after I hook up.

1 make sure it’s the dipstick and not the vacuum modulator that’s leaking
2 both have O ring seals that can be replaced
3 make sure the vent is free

Given the volume (at least a quart) I figured the dipstick tube had to be it. But I'll check the modulator as well.

I was going to be a smartass and say "It's a TH350....they mark their territory" but odds are it is the dipstick gasket. Especially if it's got one of the rigid dipstick tubes. If it's cranking that rubber o-ring seal one way or the other "just so" it'll blow oil out past it once it gets hot. You can start with replacing the seal, but you might want to get a flexible dipstick tube.

FWIW, I know a guy that's got one that could be available for the right price....TCI reverse manual valve body, 3500 stall converter, other odds/ends/doodads all up in it. Just saying. :huggy: Just putting that out there. :laughing:

Fluid getting hot and expanding. Like Ron said it’s pushing it out cause a vent or the cooler lines aren’t flowing the way they should.

I'll check the vent. I just put one new cooler line on it. There weren't any kinks, but I'll look it over.

I was going to be a smartass and say "It's a TH350....they mark their territory" but odds are it is the dipstick gasket. Especially if it's got one of the rigid dipstick tubes. If it's cranking that rubber o-ring seal one way or the other "just so" it'll blow oil out past it once it gets hot. You can start with replacing the seal, but you might want to get a flexible dipstick tube.

FWIW, I know a guy that's got one that could be available for the right price....TCI reverse manual valve body, 3500 stall converter, other odds/ends/doodads all up in it. Just saying. :huggy: Just putting that out there. :laughing:

I replaced the dipstick o ring, but I can't tell how well it's seated. I'll look into the flex tube.

Pulled it in the shop tonight to look it over. Vent is clear. Dipstick is tight, but im not sure it's seated all the way. I'm not seeing any pinched lines, but it looks like a coupler is dripping a little.

20210727_174224.jpg

Hmmm

20210821_152620.jpg

Attachments

• 20210821_152620.jpg
    20210821_152620.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 85
Mine is leaking from the kick down cable. I’m awaiting on the delete kit now that should fix it. Apparently it’s a very common leak

Last edited:
Mine is leaking from the lockdown cable. I’m awaiting on the delete kit now that should fix it. Apparently it’s a very common leak

The rear seal on mine leaks. But I'm not worried about it until I fix the other problems.

I say that to say mine is/was leaking a substantial amount. It was actually quite hard to pinpoint where it was coming from cause it looked like everywhere. It would especially do it once hot and I go romping on it.

So that could be your problem.

I say that to say mine is/was leaking a substantial amount. It was actually quite hard to pinpoint where it was coming from cause it looked like everywhere. It would especially do it once hot and I go romping on it.

So that could be your problem.

Yea, it does leak quite a bit. Took it for a drive yesterday and it didn't puke any fluid, just the rear seal leak. Time will tell. Need to go get it loaded down and see.

Back