TH400 question

mbalbritton

#@$%!
So I’m going through a slow rebuild of my ‘72 Commando. I was just sitting here thinking about what all I want to do and go through. I plan to clean up and reseal the D20 and drop a twin stick on it. Also plan to send the 304 out to be rebuilt.

So that leaves me with the TH400 and torque converter. Last I drove it the trans seemed to run fine, shift fine. But I wouldn’t be surprised if this trans hadn’t ever been rebuilt. The only concern I have is that there always seemed to be a loss of power between the engine and the road. Meaning she would go when I told her, but seemed proportional to the sound of the engine. Always wondered if the Torque converter just wasn’t transferring power or something in the trans.

So that leaves me with the question. Do I rebuild the trans and or replace the Torque Converter?

thoughts?

My opinion is do both. You're rebuilding the engine so why stop there? I've never rebuilt an auto trans myself but if I was going to, it would be a 400. It's been repored to be about the easiest diy there is.

Its not that difficult. Youtube videos will walk you pretty much through it. I would put a decent converter in it and freshen it up.

Have you ever changed the filter/fluid? Didn't think so :flipoff2:

Do those 2 things and worry about something else, whilst you ponder the following Toad-ism...
"You're talking about a transmission that came in 1ton, crew cab, dually trucks... in a Jeep that weighs 1/2 the weight, with 1/2 the power... driven by a <200# idiot. How do you think you'll hurt it?"

Mine came out of '6x jeepster 20 years ago. Has been beat on badly... including an accidental 2nd to reverse shift at redline attempting the hill on Dutch John late one night... and has seen 300* twice. New fluid & filter every 5-ish years and still it lives despite me!

Have you ever changed the filter/fluid? Didn't think so :flipoff2:

Do those 2 things and worry about something else, whilst you ponder the following Toad-ism...
"You're talking about a transmission that came in 1ton, crew cab, dually trucks... in a Jeep that weighs 1/2 the weight, with 1/2 the power... driven by a <200# idiot. How do you think you'll hurt it?"

Mine came out of '6x jeepster 20 years ago. Has been beat on badly... including an accidental 2nd to reverse shift at redline attempting the hill on Dutch John late one night... and has seen 300* twice. New fluid & filter every 5-ish years and still it lives despite me!
And then there’s that thought process too.

FWIW a th400 is about as bulletproof as they come, but they do rob some power.

Back