The Marketplace Chronicles

StretchASU

I think at this point we all have come to terms with the fact that FB Marketplace can be a great way to sell stuff. But weeding through all the dumb ass questions and trade offers can be a nightmare.

Here is a thread to share your encounters with special humans.

I’ll start it off with a basic one…

The “it is in the title” dumb question.
7B94B790-AAA7-4B06-927F-6C882210A72D.png

I put “this is my daughter’s account, please do not message her but text or call xxx” multiple times in capital letters.

My daughter gets messages.

You do realize that FB hides anything resembling a phone number, if you include it in the text of the ad, right?
This lol.

I see so many things and people are like “don’t message, text this number” and it’s all blocked out so I just never contact that person.

You do realize that FB hides anything resembling a phone number, if you include it in the text of the ad, right?
Even when you spell out numbers and don’t use dashes?

Even when you spell out numbers and don’t use dashes?
Most of the time yes.

But if it happens to slip thru, most people are too stupid to put together a phone number that contains words 🤣

Last week saw an "estate sale" with a bunch of tools etc.. Messaged guy, he had no clue what was there or prices... Said to come on down and look. So i got address and headed down. There was a picture of a tractor but zero details/ condition when it last ran etc. It was close by andi was off work so i headed down with out a trailer.

Picked out a few items , for a normal price. then it came to the tractor, i saw it had a boom pole and needed it to load a heavy motor that i purchased. i was interested in it He gave a price that was reasonable so i told him if i could get it running and it ran well i think it was worth that. Took about an hour of tinkering to get it to fire, battery was totally dead/diesel that had been sitting a good while. As soon as it started he said well if it runs that good i think its worth 1k more. I ignored it, but should have been foreshadowing. I get my items loaded up and continue to walk around several old tobacco barns.

I told him i was interested in tractor at original price and maybe 1 or 2 implements. He proceeded to tell me that he had enough to sell and that i should take all implements for a bigger price and i could take the time to sell the extras and make money. So we made a package deal. I made a cash deposit on what i had in the truck and extra to hold the tractor. When i got there the next day with trailer and all. He started talking about how he was getting the wrong end of the deal and the down payment was "yesterdays money"....WTH. Like the deposit didn't count toward the total package price we agreed upon..

I have done tons of transactions but i have never had a person agree on a price, accept a down payment and then consider said down payment as "extra / yesterdays money" that doesn't count as "today's money"..

Personally i have accepted down payments and then been offered more, but went with original deal, bc well i guess i still believe a firm handshake seals the deal.

Anyone else?

Last week saw an "estate sale" with a bunch of tools etc.. Messaged guy, he had no clue what was there or prices... Said to come on down and look. So i got address and headed down. There was a picture of a tractor but zero details/ condition when it last ran etc. It was close by andi was off work so i headed down with out a trailer.

Picked out a few items , for a normal price. then it came to the tractor, i saw it had a boom pole and needed it to load a heavy motor that i purchased. i was interested in it He gave a price that was reasonable so i told him if i could get it running and it ran well i think it was worth that. Took about an hour of tinkering to get it to fire, battery was totally dead/diesel that had been sitting a good while. As soon as it started he said well if it runs that good i think its worth 1k more. I ignored it, but should have been foreshadowing. I get my items loaded up and continue to walk around several old tobacco barns.

I told him i was interested in tractor at original price and maybe 1 or 2 implements. He proceeded to tell me that he had enough to sell and that i should take all implements for a bigger price and i could take the time to sell the extras and make money. So we made a package deal. I made a cash deposit on what i had in the truck and extra to hold the tractor. When i got there the next day with trailer and all. He started talking about how he was getting the wrong end of the deal and the down payment was "yesterdays money"....WTH. Like the deposit didn't count toward the total package price we agreed upon..

I have done tons of transactions but i have never had a person agree on a price, accept a down payment and then consider said down payment as "extra / yesterdays money" that doesn't count as "today's money"..

Personally i have accepted down payments and then been offered more, but went with original deal, bc well i guess i still believe a firm handshake seals the deal.

Anyone else?
I learned a long time ago to get it right then,Dont give them time to rethink the deal or talk to their buddies and be told they sold it too cheap.

I think at this point we all have come to terms with the fact that FB Marketplace can be a great way to sell stuff. But weeding through all the dumb ass questions and trade offers can be a nightmare.

Here is a thread to share your encounters with special humans.

I’ll start it off with a basic one…

The “it is in the title” dumb question.
View attachment 373199
I normally point out they didnt read the listing or just raise the price.They usually ask why I raised the price and I ask why they ask what the price was when they clearly knew it in the beginning. Yeah Im that kind of asshole.

I've made a couple of deals with agreed upon price and time to pick up ..... only to get to the meeting point and them not there.
Eventually text to see where they are and find out they sold it out from under me.
One even did this when I said I was leaving the house to pick it up as soon as the deal was made.

Kinda gave up after that ..... cuz people suck.

Anyone else?

Man I got hot just reading that, not sure how I would have handled it in person. It probably would have been bad. So did you wind up with the tractor?

I will say I recently sold an old Ford truck. I had all the typical time wasters but one dude asked a few legit questions and then asked me to call him. We spoke, agreed upon a price and he asked me to hold it. After being stood up twice before I explained I would not hold it without a deposit. He sent me a PayPal deposit and I marked the ad pending. He came when he said he would, updated me with his ETA several times as the day went on. Showed up and looked the truck over and handed me the cash and was on his way. It was refreshing that there is still some good ones out there.

Anyone else?

What a tool. I'm with @77GreenMachine...I would've been angry. Maybe message him back and tell him you sold the tractor and all the implements for a few thousand more than you bought it for and thank him for the good advice?

Man I got hot just reading that, not sure how I would have handled it in person. It probably would have been bad. So did you wind up with the tractor?
So to clarify this is why i like making deals and getting it done right then and there but i was working around his schedule bc he had to leave, otherwise i would have dropped what i had in the truck and made a 2nd trip that day.

Yea we ended up coming to an agreement, once my BIL started mumbling shit and putting the chains/binders away, and i was putting the cash back in the envelope saying something not as nice as "i really don't need any of this bs, Just so you know i have wasted $100 dollars in diesel so im the one getting shafted in this deal." Also he was wanting another 500 - 1k more. I said why the fuck would i have brought an extra 1k bucks with me, when i already knew the price since we made a deal yesterday.

I did agree to leave some of the implements, bc they were behind 2' saplings and i didn't have enough room/they wern't worth much. Plus i'll be damned if i was making another trip.

Honestly i would have walked if the tractor wasn't clean, last couple i had looked at have been ragged out. This one was definitely shed/garage kept with only 2k hours. Smaller diesel international.

He blocked me on FB but i have his number if anyone is interested in additional "Items".. :huggy: :huggy:

To be completely fair he claimed to know nothing about anything, which i now believe. But the original deal was a good deal, but far from ripping anyone off. I offered what i would pay for them since i was going to have to resell. (also his idea) Im not buying say a plow for 200 and then listing back to sell it for 225-250. Id offer 100 bucks that;s all id be interested in it. Mainly bc a buddy is just starting out and i would pass the deal to him. And i told him that you may be able to list them individually and get more for them, but your not going to not sell them all at once.

I would have told him that your bill for fixing the tractor was $1000, so you both are even.
Mechanics lein on property ? JK lol

Last edited:
What a tool. I'm with @77GreenMachine...I would've been angry. Maybe message him back and tell him you sold the tractor and all the implements for a few thousand more than you bought it for and thank him for the good advice?
Thought about posting it in the same group i saw it listed at. About twice the price and having some people i know start a bidding war in the comments. lol

I would have told him that your bill for fixing the tractor was $1000, so you both are even.
Since dude obviously doesn't know his tractor, @83oldyoda4x4 should have given it "one more look over" and conveniently found it to be un-fixed. Then offered a lower price.

Since dude obviously doesn't know his tractor.
Dude seemed very protective of the key. Considering 1 all of them are universal and 2 a screw driver on the starter solenoid would start it if the battery hadn't been dead for a year.

It's honestly kind of sad, Guy Farmed/ mechanic all his life, property had a couple turn of the century farm houses on it, only for a great nieces dumbass husband to sell it all off. Idk how he was related honestly.

But i guess im a little more sentimental than some.

Last summer I bought a gmt800 Yukon Denali for parts. The guy had the 6.0/4l65 swap listed and various other parts. I asked him for a price for the whole thing drive it on my trailer. It was just a few hundred more that he wanted for the drivetrain, so I agreed.

We drove a couple hours to get it that weekend and arrive to find he's still been selling parts off after we agreed on price for the whole vehicle. He had sold the front seats that my brother wanted for his truck, the cluster with temp gauge i wanted, and a few other small things. I think he came down $100 from our original agreed upon price. I jumped it and drove it on the trailer. As I was strapping it down guy says something to my wife like "He knows the trans is slipping, right?".

At this point I'm basically done and say whatever let's go... I looked back at the add as we were leaving and he had edited it to say trans was no good.

The original plan was to put the 6.0 and 3.73 axles in my wife's 5.3 3.42 XL but a couple weeks after buying this the 2500 XL I really wanted showed up so I haven't done anything with this except move it around my yard a few times.

20210529_141244.jpg

Last summer I bought a gmt800 Yukon Denali for parts. The guy had the 6.0/4l65 swap listed and various other parts. I asked him for a price for the whole thing drive it on my trailer. It was just a few hundred more that he wanted for the drivetrain, so I agreed.

We drove a couple hours to get it that weekend and arrive to find he's still been selling parts off after we agreed on price for the whole vehicle. He had sold the front seats that my brother wanted for his truck, the cluster with temp gauge i wanted, and a few other small things. I think he came down $100 from our original agreed upon price. I jumped it and drove it on the trailer. As I was strapping it down guy says something to my wife like "He knows the trans is slipping, right?".

At this point I'm basically done and say whatever let's go... I looked back at the add as we were leaving and he had edited it to say trans was no good.

The original plan was to put the 6.0 and 3.73 axles in my wife's 5.3 3.42 XL but a couple weeks after buying this the 2500 XL I really wanted showed up so I haven't done anything with this except move it around my yard a few times.

View attachment 373472

So what you gonna do with that 6.0?

I used to buy ag and construction equipment at auction, go through it, make it new again and sell for a decent price and obviously make a profit on my labor. Several times I would have a machine pending and would receive a higher offer before first dude showed up. Instead of selling to higher bidder I would call first dude and tell him I had a higher offer. Let's say dude 2 offered $2k more. (Dude 1 be getting angry at this point in my call with him). But I'd tell him the machine was still his at the agreed upon price or if he wanted I would send him a check for $1k and sell it to the next guy. Had a few consider it, but no one ever took the cash they always wanted the machine.

Having been on the other side of that situation as dude 1 and have things sold out from under me after the deal was done is definitely irritating.

Back