The New Scout????

i love this take.

um....you will do your part if you want to legally drive on public roads. its very quickly coming. the sheep masses just want to get in the car and go without having to put their phone down....they don't care where the power comes from. they want flasy brake lights and cool wheels.

cameras, backup beeps, radar and lidar, cylinder shutdown, engine start/stop, turbos, hybrids, ever increasing emission standards (that you voted for), subscription services, insurance companies plugging into OBD2, computers that you can't mod, and ever increasing tax dollars being used to prop up EV makers will render your thought process obsolete.

many states are outlawing Kei cars and older registrations. Don't think we won't be seeing a max age on cars soon. A mandatory cash for clunkers is coming the next time the auto industry takes a hit.

your gov't knows best, and they thank you.

or you'll stay at home or walk. that'll show them!
IC isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The only option for timely delivery on over the road shipments is IC. EV's will not cut it. Cummings even introduced a hydrogen option this past year.

Two major flaws.
Cost not everyone can afford an ev even a 10year old one. Rural America still has plenty of people driving 20-30 year old vechicles because that's what they can afford. Take away their transportation and you going to have a huge gap in the labor force.

Our grids aren't setup to handle that kind of volume now much less in 10 years. Filled up yesterday on the way home. The gas station had 15 tesla chargers all full and 5 waiting to charge. Only one within 50 miles or so. Guy said he had been waiting an hour just to start charging.

well of course it won't happen full tilt tomorrow.

cities will implement strict standards
states will follow
the gov't will take your tax dollars and subsidize others purchase of an EV (already happening). This will only expand.
the gov't will use your tax dollars to ease the burden of upstarts and changeovers of EV manufacturers (this already happens and will only increase)
to keep these IC cars on the road, all the 'emissions' stuff will become more prevalent and wil have to be proven to work at each inspection time. No defeat of AFM and start/stop and engine swaps and all that
something like 99% of all cars registered are 15 years old or newer....the first step will be to put an age limit on cars. this could happen next year.....and its close!

next thing you know you're under the boiling water!

well of course it won't happen full tilt tomorrow.

cities will implement strict standards
states will follow
the gov't will take your tax dollars and subsidize others purchase of an EV (already happening). This will only expand.
the gov't will use your tax dollars to ease the burden of upstarts and changeovers of EV manufacturers (this already happens and will only increase)
to keep these IC cars on the road, all the 'emissions' stuff will become more prevalent and wil have to be proven to work at each inspection time. No defeat of AFM and start/stop and engine swaps and all that
something like 99% of all cars registered are 15 years old or newer....the first step will be to put an age limit on cars. this could happen next year.....and its close!

next thing you know you're under the boiling water!

except the government study doesn't agree with you that 99% of cars are 15 years or new. this year the average age of vehicle on the road is closer to 14 than 13 and the age has been trending up not down.

I got 55mpg at 50mph out of a 2011 vw to golf with a 6 speed but the cali air resource board made them the devil for not using 70s era smog tech and lying about it
This is the thing for me. My Jetta avarages 45mpg mixed driving. That's better than most hybrids and its 22 years old! If they just didn't make small diesels (or diesels all together) the devil the answer already exists!

Not to mention I'm still pissed the rest of the world got an xj with the VM 2.8 diesel...

I enjoyed my 14 Jetta. I would love to get an Amorok with the 3.0 TDi. I just don't get the push for electric here. I don't understand why Germany and Europe are ditching diesel either.

Diesel is dirty
all the scrubbers and regen and DEF are expensive and complicated and are warranty nightmares, no matter the country
EV cars (from a 'engine' standpoint) are easier to get worldwide approval
build one EV 'skateboard' and sell it in Eurpe and USA

Diesel is dirty
all the scrubbers and regen and DEF are expensive and complicated and are warranty nightmares, no matter the country
EV cars (from a 'engine' standpoint) are easier to get worldwide approval
build one EV 'skateboard' and sell it in Eurpe and USA
Yes it's unfortunate they messed with a reliable efficient system.

Diesel is dirty
Is this sarcasm or serious? I honestly can't tell.

Regardless, if diesel were the actual problem, they would first focus on repowering ships, trains, and trucks, before attempting to bankrupt VAG over being a few percent beyond some arbitrary limits in certain cases (while Ram and Ford did the same thing and got nothing more than a slap on the wrist).

Saw one of these new Ram 1200s on the lot yesterday (in MX). Looked better in person than in the video. Doesn’t appear to be a diesel option, just figured I’d continue to derail this thread with more new trucks that aren’t going to be available in the US.

Regardless, if diesel were the actual problem, they would first focus on repowering ships, trains, and trucks, before attempting to bankrupt VAG over being a few percent beyond some arbitrary limits in certain cases (while Ram and Ford did the same thing and got nothing more than a slap on the wrist).
Diesel is dirty. No /s

Cars are low hanging fruit for politicians. Everyone sees cars everyday.....trains and ships are don't ask don't tell.

The moron sheep see 'zero emissions' badge on the new EV and get all tingly inside. And like that free money uncle Sam hands out to buy a new EV.

Its not a question of what the problem is, its a question of what's the easiest and most visible thing to regulate and change w/o a massive impact on the world economy.
Making people change to EV cars is inconvenient, but "the people" see change happening so they feel good about it.
Making ships change to EV would completely fuck the world and nobody would understand what was going on.

Its not a question of what the problem is, its a question of what's the easiest and most visible thing to regulate and change w/o a massive impact on the world economy.
Making people change to EV cars is inconvenient, but "the people" see change happening so they feel good about it.
Making ships change to EV would completely fuck the world and nobody would understand what was going on.
Of course we could go back to sailing... no pollution there.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

It would be a great lesson in patience for all of us

But hey with global warming causing all these increase gulf streams and storms and such - maybe things will move faster than before...

The gas station had 15 tesla chargers all full and 5 waiting to charge. Only one within 50 miles or so. Guy said he had been waiting an hour just to start charging.
Donald Trump Head Shake GIF by Election 2016

Ships & Trains get more "work", "tonnage" done, however it's calculated, than Thousands of autos. And now even they have to meet stricter pollution standards. Same with heavy trucks; several years back government implemented a "Re-power" program, for heavy Trucks & Heavy Equipment, to help some. And now along with stricter standards on fuel & heavy engines, trucks have to add the Urea, to the emission system! Foreign countries run dirty Diesel fuel & their vehicles have fewer controls on them. Many Countries burn more diesel than gas. But, the Smog was so bad in Britain, diesel vehicles [or cars & light trucks] are banned.

Ships & Trains get more "work", "tonnage" done, however it's calculated, than Thousands of autos. And now even they have to meet stricter pollution standards. Same with heavy trucks; several years back government implemented a "Re-power" program, for heavy Trucks & Heavy Equipment, to help some. And now along with stricter standards on fuel & heavy engines, trucks have to add the Urea, to the emission system! Foreign countries run dirty Diesel fuel & their vehicles have fewer controls on them. Many Countries burn more diesel than gas. But, the Smog was so bad in Britain, diesel vehicles [or cars & light trucks] are banned.
Don't expect on time delivery with the rail system. I will never get why the auto industry hasn't gone to diesel hybrid. They make gas hybrid why not diesel. I know VW played with it before diesel was "dirty!"

This is the thing for me. My Jetta avarages 45mpg mixed driving. That's better than most hybrids and its 22 years old! If they just didn't make small diesels (or diesels all together) the devil the answer already exists!

Not to mention I'm still pissed the rest of the world got an xj with the VM 2.8 diesel...
My 2002 Civic EX manual trans got legit 40mpg on my daily commute before ethanol gas. 10% ethanol cut it to 37-38. Take away all the nanny safety crap and make a light weight car with <2.0L NA gas engine that's still fun to drive and I'll buy it.

We were one of five CMs that bid this project, found out last week we didn't get it. Kind of bummed, probably a blessing in disguise. My team would have been the ones leading the effort.

Back