The Possibility of a Rock Garden

Would You Like To See A Rock Garden at Uwharrie?

• YES

Votes: 117 98.3%
  • NO

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Yes it is true, there is a possibility of us getting a rock garden put in. In the past and currently it has been determined this SHOULDN'T be an issue. Now currently none of the details have been worked out. Its only been an idea floating around between us and the Forest Service. But its about time to bring this to the next step, and see it turned into a reality.

The question is simple, would you like to see a Rock Garden put in at Uwharrie?

The current IDEA is to locate it near the Double Parkinglot. Maybe make it a short side trail that connects from the double parking lot to Rocky Mountain Loop. To make it easy for people to get their rig off the rock garden "trail" if it breaks.

There have long been rumors of a 4x4/offroad oriented camping area similar to how the horse folks have their own private camp grounds. Regardless of what stage that is in, if an area has been pick out for that, I say put it near that area. This would keep a lot of 'traffic' isolated from the main roads as people travel to/from the rock garden.

as an alternate location I would suggest somewhere near the Art Lilly Camp ground. There seems to be some good flat areas up top and plenty of open room /parking area. The 553 lots seems to get pretty full on busy weekends anyway.

Sounds good to me

Is anyone going to actually vote no they don't want a rack garden at URE?
I did just to be technical. I don't want to just see it. I want to be able to drive on it. I see lots of cool rock formations off the sides of the trails that I can't drive on. Make it happen!:bounce2:

I've heard talk of making a trail from deep water horse camp to falls dam, but that was a couple yrs ago. when I was at the first 4x4 cross the ranger at the time said that the forrest service was willing to build a "rock garden" for the race. all we need are the $funds$

There have long been rumors of a 4x4/offroad oriented camping area similar to how the horse folks have their own private camp grounds. Regardless of what stage that is in, if an area has been pick out for that, I say put it near that area. This would keep a lot of 'traffic' isolated from the main roads as people travel to/from the rock garden.

as an alternate location I would suggest somewhere near the Art Lilly Camp ground. There seems to be some good flat areas up top and plenty of open room /parking area. The 553 lots seems to get pretty full on busy weekends anyway.

This.

4x4 campground/play area/bath house This sounds awsome. Charge extra fees for usage/entrance and it will pay for itself in the long run.

The forest service knows this is something a lot of folks want. I think the staff we are working with are really good people and interested in keeping the place open and making it have something for everyone. There are changes coming and things are only going to get better for all of us. That's what I think anyway.

I think an area more directly accessible area would be great. Possibly where trucks could easily get in to haul in large concrete 'things'. Thinking tubes blocks, etc.. Also possibly experiment with man made type obstacles.

We could make beer can obstacles... there's plenty on the trails to make one hell of a pyramid obstacle. :beer:
Mostly BUSCH cans. I think that might spread some sort of sickness to the rigs driving on them.
We need a barf smiley.

I recently corresponded with one of the officials from SFWDA and suggested this very thing. Man made obstacles within the FS land. Built so as to not cause any damage to the surrounding environment, yet still giving us more to play on. HE didn't feel that it would happen, due to the FS stance of scenic trails.

I recently corresponded with one of the officials from SFWDA and suggested this very thing. Man made obstacles within the FS land. Built so as to not cause any damage to the surrounding environment, yet still giving us more to play on. HE didn't feel that it would happen, due to the FS stance of scenic trails.

A parking lot isn't scenic and there's plenty of room at Art Lilly to create this. IMO, it should be off to the side in the undeveloped area or put it in the back past the soup bowl. I don't think the double parking lot area is a good choice. Art Lilly seems a better place.

i have always called that one really rocky place of what i think is Rocky mt loop the rock garden, guess i was wrong. im still kinda new to URE.
but i would love to see a nice rock garden set up and definetly have an easy way out for break downs. for what its worth id like to see more mud areas too. although the recent drought isnt helping that any.
so if this goes into effect, how does it happen? like are they gonna blow up some huge rocks and haul them in?
just wondering.

i have always called that one really rocky place of what i think is Rocky mt loop the rock garden, guess i was wrong. im still kinda new to URE.
but i would love to see a nice rock garden set up and definetly have an easy way out for break downs. for what its worth id like to see more mud areas too. although the recent drought isnt helping that any.
so if this goes into effect, how does it happen? like are they gonna blow up some huge rocks and haul them in?
just wondering.

You're right about the rock garden on the trails, but what is being discussed is a man made one. It can have huge ass rocks and concrete culverts and I've seen some with tires in them.

oh, gotcha! kinda like that deal they got at the stables but bigger id hope. thanks for setting me straight!

High Challenge trails

In my discussions with the Forest Service at all levels I have been told that it is not the role of the Forest Service to provide "high challenge" trails.

They feel that the private OHV parks can do that.

I have had several discussions about rock gardens or rock obstacles on wide sections of existing trails where smaller OHVs can get by.

This is easier for the FS because it is on an existing trail bed. No NEPA studies are needed. And, the expense can be covered under routine annual maintenance.

I've suggested putting down a pond liner on the ground to prevent any petroleum products from contaminating the soil and giving the tree huggers an excuse to close it.

Rocks are cheap, they don't erode, and they don't move unless we want them to. :driver:

Keep in mind we want to stay away from concrete pipes, tires, etc etc. To keep with "organic" layout that the Forest Service is going for will need to stick with boulders/rocks.

We would want to incorporate it into the trail/area as neatly as possible. Off the top of my head Dutch John and Falls Dam both have split trail sections that serve little to no use. The Dutch John on would be the best choice. Both lines are of equal difficulty, and there is a middle connector between the 2. Turn one line into a Rock Garden etc. BUT in the future Dutch John will be facing some re-routes. So we will see I guess.

If it's not near a parking lot.....a parking lot will come to be near it! People will come and gather to watch and the lot will appear! Whether you want it or not. It needs to be accessible to FS and Ambulance, IMO.

the rock garden should be within 30 yards of parking area, and the(handicap accesable) bathroom/showers along with a 4x4 friendly campground thst is very nearby!

That would be super cool if Obama sent some $ for an upgrade like that.

the rock garden should be within 30 yards of parking area, and the(handicap accesable) bathroom/showers along with a 4x4 friendly campground thst is very nearby!
That would be super cool if Obama sent some $ for an upgrade like that.

Obama, yeah right! we got more people trying to shut our parks down than help us out. the tree huggers think we are "so bad for the enviroment" thats BS if you ask me.
but yeah your right, it would be cool. lol

Back