The proud parent thread.

My soon to be 6yr old wanted to donate her Christmas presents to the area childrens hospitals (Levine, Jeff Gordon, RMH). Told her she didn’t have to do that, but we did make some donations. About a week ago, she said she didn’t want a birthday party and didn’t want presents, she wanted to do a toy drive/collection for the children’s hospitals and bring whatever was collected to the hospitals on her bday (March 26th). She asked if she thought other people would want to help. Told her maybe, but not to be disappointed if no one did. She said people like to help kids, and asked if she could make a video so more people would know. We figured if there was a productive use of social media this would be it. Her and my wife made a video last night, posted it around 10pm, by 10am she had 20 purchases against the wishlist, mostly from strangers. Proud of my daughter and heartwarming to see people are still good.

View attachment 392995

I don’t want to pander…but if anyone is interested in participating…here’s the link to the stuff my daughter thought those kids would like…

When my princess did her Build a bear drive you and your better half were some of the first ones to support.
So my turn.

I dont tiktok and I dont understand how the amazon thing would work. You got a link where I can donate to a helluva cause?

Scratch that old dog learned a new trick. Done

Last edited:
My oldest decided he wanted to work with me this morning at his grandmother's rather than go get a participation trophy for basketball. He skipped a basketball game to duck hunt with me earlier this season. I think I've got a winner. Hopefully I can get his brother to do the same when he's a little older

Several packages have arrived, and several from the forum. Thanks to those that have participated, one helluva forum for sure. We were on a family walk when the Amazon truck arrived today and I wish everyone could have shared in the excitement she had when she saw the delivery guy kept going back to his truck. Hopefully the video works.

Bragging on my boys again. Chase is one of the starting pitchers and infielders on his high school team. He has pitched four innings so far and only given up one earned run and struck out 7. Season just started so he's looking strong to start. Even has some colleges talking to him now. Although they are all in Texas. WTF. :lol: He's worked hard enough to be a better hitter that the coach wants him in the lineup every game now after barely hitting last season. Jake just made his middle school team as a 7th grader and looks to possibly be their starting first or third baseman which is impressive for a 7th grader. Friday night he competed in a homerun derby and ended up winning it with 12 home runs. Second place had 4. Then yesterday he hit his first in-game homerun also. He's turning into a beast. So proud of these boys working so hard to be good at something they love so much.

I mean, does your kid even floss themselves to sleep?
20230325_222137.jpg

My soon to be 6yr old wanted to donate her Christmas presents to the area childrens hospitals (Levine, Jeff Gordon, RMH). Told her she didn’t have to do that, but we did make some donations. About a week ago, she said she didn’t want a birthday party and didn’t want presents, she wanted to do a toy drive/collection for the children’s hospitals and bring whatever was collected to the hospitals on her bday (March 26th). She asked if she thought other people would want to help. Told her maybe, but not to be disappointed if no one did. She said people like to help kids, and asked if she could make a video so more people would know. We figured if there was a productive use of social media this would be it. Her and my wife made a video last night, posted it around 10pm, by 10am she had 20 purchases against the wishlist, mostly from strangers. Proud of my daughter and heartwarming to see people are still good.

View attachment 392995

I don’t want to pander…but if anyone is interested in participating…here’s the link to the stuff my daughter thought those kids would like…

Yesterday was delivery day. Thank you to all that participated. Charleigh was beyond ecstatic.

David is four today. In a year, he has went from completely non verbal to being conversational verbally and with ASL. He has really come out of his shell and opened up. We started pre-k homeschool in september, and are now starting kindergarten because he blew through the pre-k because he wanted to do 3 and 4 lessons a day and still did well on his tests. Blows my mind how smart he is and how well he handles the challenges of autism.

Side note: lot of chicks jealous of those curls!

20230325_173714.jpg

20230128_173955.jpg

20230128_173152.jpg

20230128_090340.jpg

20221105_134918.jpg

Last edited:
David is four today. In a year, he has went from completely non verbal to being conversational verbally and with ASL. He has really come out of his shell and opened up. We started pre-k homeschool in september, and are now starting kindergarten because he blew through the pre-k because he wanted to do 3 and 4 lessons a day and still did well on his tests. Blows my mind how smart he is and how well he handles the challenges of autism.

View attachment 394652

View attachment 394653

View attachment 394654

View attachment 394655

View attachment 394656
Happy Birthday young man!!

Well munchkin passed his Pre-K test this morning after begging to do his school work. He can sing and sign his alphabet, count to 20, and read simple sight word books and do some simple addition.

Screenshot_20230407-115237_Facebook.jpg

Passed his Eagle Scout board this week! Definitely a proud Mom & Dad! All before his 16th birthday and while taking all AP and Honors classes. Currently top of his class GPA. Might just make a contributing member of society out of him yet.
5839CD80-5485-4CE1-B206-EAF74DC0F7DF.jpeg

Based on some of the things my kids do, I often wonder...
forrest-gump.gif

Well, he took some test recently and did pretty decent.
20230420_204959.jpg

99th percentile on math and 99th percentile overall 👍

I don't understand how this is weighted, wouldn't you think overal would be around the average of the 3?
It is in the first column. But a kid who gets 144 Verbal Standard Age Score (presumably 99th percentile) might also get like a 15 Math Standard Age Score (like 5 or 10th percentile), so their overall score would be much lower. He did great on math and really good on the other two, so his overall score is top tier.

It is in the first column. But a kid who gets 144 Verbal Standard Age Score (presumably 99th percentile) might also get like a 15 Math Standard Age Score (like 5 or 10th percentile), so their overall score would be much lower. He did great on math and really good on the other two, so his overall score is top tier.
I get that, but the mean of the 3 raw numbers is a lot lower than the composite raw score, but obviously it isn't a sum either.
So there must be some kind of nonlinear additive function that weights them to get that score. I'm just curious what the function is.

I get that, but the mean of the 3 raw numbers is a lot lower than the composite raw score, but obviously it isn't a sum either.
So there must be some kind of nonlinear additive function that weights them to get that score. I'm just curious what the function is.
Overall performance based on percentile I suppose? Or weighted by "percentile" essentially. Heck I dunno. You should know this stuff more than me.:D

Overall performance based on percentile I suppose? Or weighted by "percentile" essentially. Heck I dunno. You should know this stuff more than me.:D
I've looked everywhere and only found references to it "isn't a sum and isn't an average", I'm guessing it is a closely held secret from Riverside Insights (who owns the test) in order to prevent people from just copying the test and administering it without paying them. The educational and psychological assessment world is full of that kind of crap.

FYI... Riverside is a subsidiary of Houghton Mifflin, who makes a shitpile of $$ from selling tests, and then all of the media associated with teaching those kids that they just help label as being smart (and needed special materials) or being behind (and thus, needing different special materials).

I've looked everywhere and only found references to it "isn't a sum and isn't an average", I'm guessing it is a closely held secret from Riverside Insights (who owns the test) in order to prevent people from just copying the test and administering it without paying them. The educational and psychological assessment world is full of that kind of crap.

FYI... Riverside is a subsidiary of Houghton Mifflin, who makes a shitpile of $$ from selling tests, and then all of the media associated with teaching those kids that they just help label as being smart (and needed special materials) or being behind (and thus, needing different special materials).
🤷‍♂️
I just wanted to post a funny meme and brag on my kid :(

It is incredibly rare for someone to be good at both language and math. left brain right brain stuff. Id think a brain doc would know that. Most 99 math folks can't spell cat if you spot them two letters. (ahem- mr phd spelling whiz.....I mean dr phd spelling whiz)

Back