The Trash Trailer

ponykilr

Old Crow
Trash. It’s a problem here in the sticks. You either haul it to the landfill or container yourself or you hire a company. We hired Famco and it ended up being an absolute joke. So back to doing it myself.

I hate putting trash in my truck. It seems some nasty juice always leaks and stinks it up. We use premium bags but it doesn’t matter, happens every time. I decided to build a trailer specifically to keep the trash in and haul it to the disposal site.

@WARRIORWELDING had some angle at a steal but @YotaOnRocks had spoken for it. I asked for a few sticks and was graciously given the go ahead to buy it and pick it up. Thanks to both of these fine gentlemen.

I decided on a simple tilt 4x8 like I’ve had in the past. It’ll be like most utility trailers with an upper and lower rail and expanded steel floor.

This is where I’m at after a day of working on it. I am so damn sore today and it’s raining so hard I decided to take a sabbatical but will get back on it soon. I’ll have Lucky sand blast it and get it painted up after it’s done.

I need better stands than my cans of yams…. I have jack stands but different heights LOL. Guess I’ll buy some blocks from Lowe’s 😄

The short rails were notched where they meet the center where the tongue will go so they’re the same height/level as the other rails.

01EDBF37-E2B8-4342-AD4E-A894D3B88D45.jpeg
EC866656-27E2-41BD-A581-4365EF5665DB.jpeg
DA184C22-584B-4C6D-8088-7D6EB8A1CD31.jpeg
19530AD9-548A-42CE-9AA8-89148BA9AB90.jpeg

I need about 8-10’ stick of 1/4 2x2 steel or maybe 2x3 if anyone has some they will sell.

I will be buying an axle and wheels/tires too if anyone has a hookup.

I need about 8-10’ stick of 1/4 2x2 steel or maybe 2x3 if anyone has some they will sell.

I will be buying an axle and wheels/tires too if anyone has a hookup.
As for an axle, If you wanna go cheap with just a tad of balls, head over to a junk yard and snag an axle out of a front wheel drive something. Seems Mini Vans are a good go to, if you can find one that hasn't been hit in the rear and screwed up

As for an axle, If you wanna go cheap with just a tad of balls, head over to a junk yard and snag an axle out of a front wheel drive something. Seems Mini Vans are a good go to, if you can find one that hasn't been hit in the rear and screwed up
Yeah, early Dodge Caravans with leafs and drop axles are excellent.

I made a little progress today. A few more uprights and then flip it over again to weld some things from the bottom. After this I’ll work on the tailgate assembly.

I made the sides 16” so one sheet of expanded steel will do all the sides and the tailgate.

B539E9CB-F66C-4F3A-A2A7-28E8A6539563.jpeg

Added 2 more uprights aprox 24” from the rear like those toward the front. I’m leaving the middle empty for now til I mock up an axle and fenders. All welding for what I’ve done is complete from top and bottom.

7B150589-D37B-4ABD-A0A0-5651811D289B.jpeg

Last edited:
I need to check. I've probably got a piece of 2 by 2 tubing in the shop.

My buddy Don has a Dexter torsion axle he’s gifting to me. It’s heavier than I need but they ride much smoother than leafs so should be good. I will have to shorten it but no worries, the rubber is only in the outside 12” or so.

It will be a simple bolt on deal without springs and stuff…..and free 🙂

Having purchased a very similar commercially built trailer (still bed frames & chicken wire) from my dad... which we use for everything not wanted INSIDE a vehicle (trash, mulch, etc.)
You'll want to radius the hell out of those front corners!
Will reduce the number of dings to your/others bodies and when they contact the back of your towrig, will result in a dent rather dent + puncture (don't ask me how I know these things)

Well a little update.

@doc has 2 Ford Ranger aluminum wheels and tires for the project, I need to pick them up. Thanks doc!

After measurements and trial fitting, the torsion axle isn’t ideal. It is a HEAVY beeotch, at least a 3500lb rated axle and the deal killer is it needs 16” wheels due to how the arm/link comes off the axle to the spindle.

Don had also brought me some leaf springs and hangers/sliders but they were 7 leaf packs of 2” springs. I removed the centering pin and got it down to 3 leaves and got it all mocked up on the frame. Holes are drilled and I just need eight 1/2”x1” bolts/nuts to bolt the springs on. Everything is squared to the centering pins.

So an axle and some plates and U bolts needed. Probably get em at Agri-Supply next trip.

Well I picked up the wheels and tires from @doc today and holy moly the tires are new tread if a little old. Will be great on this light trailer. I found a place called Out Of The Box Parts and bought a 62” (hub face to hub face) non-cambered axle with non welded spring seats (so you can place them where you want) and galvanized hub/bearing kits plus the U-bolts/plates for under $200 with free shipping. Says it’ll all be here Friday 🤠

Still need either 2x2 or 2x3 tube for a tongue. After its all together I can work out the fenders and the tailgate plus the spring to hold tilt on the tongue.

Trailer is turning out great!
Thanks brother 🙂

I need the tongue, tailgate and now that the wheels are on I can finish the uprights and figure out the fenders.

I plan to make a pickup type tailgate that will lock in the flat position so when I tilt it something can roll right up on it. It will be 90% for garbage duty though.

Forgot to post any updates. Added the rest of the uprights and the tongue. The angled uprights over the tires will be where the fenders go. Tongue is 54” to tip of coupler so it’ll back well. Doubled the amount of uprights so the spacing at each end looks odd but it all should be really stiff and strong.

Sides and floor as soon as I can get over this pancreatitis.

D1FC0154-8439-4780-89A5-6EC3B2626113.jpeg

D3C30E37-CBAD-482A-A5BA-A53FFB4B1B00.jpeg

Back