THIS is how you drive in the snow....

Friends of mine in PA sent me a video of it snowing at lunch today. I shared it with some of my Co workers, they were shocked that they were going to drive home from lunch in “that storm!!”.

How many grown ass men think that the north just stops their daily routine when the white shit starts to fly? I’m relieved most of the south stays at home when the roads are bad but it’s just a way of life for northern folk.

it’s just a way of life for northern folk.

More plows, more salt, more sand, and less "ice" up north.

Kinda funny to see a northerner on southern roads when it goes white, Rollin at full speed and only realize it ain't LIKE northern "snow" about the time they hit the breaks

Big difference in the snow and the highway departments from here to the land of yanks. While working in AK I drove from Fairbanks to Anchorage (350 miles) with total road coverage and about 30* below zero at 60 mph with no issues. The colder it is the better the roads are up there and the closer to 32* it gets the slicker it gets.

Kinda funny to see a northerner on southern roads when it goes white, Rollin at full speed and only realize it ain't LIKE northern "snow" about the time they hit the breaks
There are also a lot of rural towns with roads that only see the plows of volunteers. Even when it snows in WV hwy 19 doesn’t get plowed until 77 & 79 are clear.
I’ll leave this here....
7E826CAA-BE2C-4614-8973-650D72E22212.png
486A6BA5-7588-4821-833B-AC4B90CF5A48.png

Michigander here. Grew up in Western Michigan, within a 1/4 mile of Lake Michigan - translation - lake effect snow. We would measure snow in feet not inches in a normal winter or storm. Never had any real problems with it. We had equipment to handle it and the vehicles were always prepared. My dad had an F250 with a plow on it (as did about every other family). There were quite a few times that was not quite enough equipment to move the snow and we'd have to resort to a tractor/loader. We never had any blowers but those really are the tool to move heavy snow. My first vehicle was a 2wd short bed F150 with a 4 speed. I had summer tires and winter tires. I put the snow tires on in November and put 300-500 lbs of sand bags in the box right over the axle. Never got stuck, would bust through drifts as a normal part of my daily drive. Kinda funny now, but I never had a 4wd until I moved to NC 20 years ago. Now I don't think I could get through winter without it, I've become a total wuss when the temps drop below 40.

Yeah, that's not really a thing.

There are also a lot of rural towns with roads that only see the plows of volunteers. Even when it snows in WV hwy 19 doesn’t get plowed until 77 & 79 are clear.
I’ll leave this here....

Josh may be from Pennsyltucky, but he knows what's up. It's not uncommon for roads to not be plowed, or for the plow to be a Cat grader they send out to knock down the drifts. The grocery store might have a commercial plow contract, but will still have an inch of ice on the parking lot.

And up until the mid 80s, everybody had RWD. We didn't get a 4wd until 1992.

Most of my moms side of the family was in the Boston suburbs and southern NH when I was growing up. I think the first 4wd in the family was my cousins TJ when he went to college. They would just take us out to the open lot at the end of my grandparents road and teach us throttle and brake control in the snow and how to control a slide. I was maybe 17 or so and we were up for Christmas and got a nice storm and had no problem getting from the house to a Mtn about an hour north in a 96 Bonneville on all seasons. Didn't see pavement the whole trip up or back. All the years driving in snow up there and then 9 years in Boone, it doesn't phase me.

Now since moving to the flatlands I just stay the F home when shit flies around here simply because of the other morons that aren't used to it. Let them all get home and full of milk sandwiches, then its time to venture out. This most recent storm a few weeks ago, there was a fwd sedan upside down less than an 1/4 of a mile from the house...flat ground, straight section of road.

I always keep a bunch of firewood under a tarp in the bed of my 2/4WD trucks for weight when driving in snow/ice and I've never had problems driving sensibly. I figure if I do spin out or get stuck/stranded I could at least build a fire and stay warm till someone comes along to help me.

You're so cute when you wake up all pretentious and full of yourself
I'm disappointed that I was the fifth person to call you out on your bullshit "NC ice is slicker" argument. I'll try to be quicker next time.

Also, check your time stamps, sleepy head.

Some of my buddy's use a tractor tire with a water inflation adapter. Throw in tube. Attach water hose. Fill to desired weight. If it freezes so what? Means you still need the weight. Drain remove and remove the tube when done. No heavy lifting.
Now the pioneers of this brilliance, or the first two I saw doing this had both had extensive back surgeries.
And agree with @CasterTroy.
My trip up to Clevland proved to me the roads are not near as hazardous. Both the contious cold combined with extensive use of de-icing measures made the roads much less icy and slick.
On another note those folks up that way do slow down some when it was pouring it in......just not to 5 to 10 flashers on and jamming the breaks at every tail light.

Last edited:

What the hell is this??? Oh shit a curve...

You actually LIKE Ford's, so agreeing with me about anything only gets you LOST respect with Shawn :D

I like Fords. I quit buying them because they are unreliable.

If words you don't agree with get you all butthurt, I'd hate to see what real problems do to you.

Back