This week's adventure. (Text and picture heavy)

maulcruiser

Tuesday, I left Wilmington Fire Department at 5 AM driving a Quint (smaller ladder truck for all non-FD people), and one of our mechanics following in an F250 with the other parts of the truck. My destination was Hilliard, OH. It was being taken in for specialized repairs that only Sutphen Corp. can perform. The trip up was uneventful for a 2001 truck with a lot of city miles on it. The steering is on the loose side, it was completely stripped of equipment and water so the suspension was overly stiff, it was missing an additional 300 pounds of weight off the rear (see photo of damaged bucket that had to be removed prior to the trip), has flotation tires on the steer axle, and the cooling fan was apparently permanently engaged. My route was I40 to US 52, then I77 to US 35, and finally I64 to I270. Total trip up took 12 hours and ten minutes, with two stops for fuel in a truck that holds 65 gallons of diesel.

We dropped the truck off, then found a hotel. The next morning, we drove an additional hour to a second Sutphen location in Springfield, OH to pick up our 100' aerial that had been in for repairs. They supposedly did roughly $175K worth of work to the truck. The mechanic asked for particulars of the repairs, and they set out a list of all the stuff done. He then asked, "is the driveline ready to go?" They said yes. We depart and make it Charleston, WV before I need to refuel. On the trip down, I noticed a slight vibration, but chalked it up to the lugs of the flotation tires and them running in and out of phase. While refueling, I glance under the truck and notice gear oil pooling under the pump gearbox (think transfer case, but it disconnects the rear drive and instead powers the water pump). I call the mechanic over, he determines it's been overfilled and is blowing out of the vent, then tells me to drive it. He's the expert, so I roll out without incident. The next stop puts me 40 miles west of Wytheville for food. Before departing there, he checks the gearbox again, claiming that it's no longer dripping and looks drier. I claim, "Yeah, because it's empty now." We depart again.

Now, I'm looking for a fuel stop, as the exit we were at didn't have a fuel pump I could access easily. Just before the I77 exit east of Wytheville, the vibration that I've been feeling come and go got slightly more intense, but subsided. As I'm approaching the interchange, the turbo on that Cummins diesel spools up and sings for one more hill climb, then catastrophic failure occurs. I glance out both mirrors to see parts scattering on the concrete in clouds of dust and sparks, and the mechanic taking evasive action in the F250. I turn back to the gauge cluster to discover that I've lost my speedometer, the tach is back to idle, but every other instrument is normal. Apply some throttle, RPM's rise, but a no-load scenario. I hit neutral on the transmission control, flip the hazards, and coast to the shoulder. Mechanic beats me to the truck before I can get out, asking, "What the f*(k?!" I respond saying I lost propulsion, and we begin investigating. As soon as I round the cab and see the exhaust pipe, I already know I don't want to crawl under the truck. It's now at an awkward tip angle and sitting higher on the chassis. Crawling under, the worst was confirmed. The output housing on the pump was gone, along with the yoke and entire driveshaft. On it's departure, the driveshaft smacked the primer for the pump, broke several cooling fins off the gearbox, flattened the exhaust pipe, and broke a PVC pipe from the relief valve back to the water tank. That's when I found part of the driveshaft, wedged between the tank and frame.

Call Sutphen, and they state they'll send a tow truck. 20-30 minutes later, one arrives, we take what we need, and head towards Mt. Airy for the night, then come home today. The truck is heading BACK to Ohio on a flatbed, where it will be evaluated and repaired, then returned to us on another flatbed. Supposedly Sutphen is going to take care of all of that since they had just put new bearings in the gearbox and replaced universal joints in the driveshafts. I'm just glad we made it off the road relatively unscathed, and that it didn't occur further back on the 5% grade.

Moral of the story, trust your own judgement. I should have refused to drive it any further when I saw the gear oil.

IMG952571.jpg
The damaged truck I was taking up before the bucket was removed.
123951.jpg
More damage.
20171206_083939.jpg
The truck I brought back.
20171206_163928.jpg
FB_IMG_1512688189939.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
What the output SHOULD look like.
20171206_162955.jpg
20171206_163007.jpg
20171206_173144.jpg
20171206_174325.jpg

I've had those entire gear boxes out and rebuilt them. The chain inside is massive. We refurbished an identicle truck for Statesville. Had the entire ladder off. We reworked all the bushings, gib plates, shives, and cables. Rebuilt the water way seals and completely removed the Aerial down to the main ladder and turn table. Rewired the controls to some extent and replaced all Hydraulic hoses. Trans was pulled by me and rebuilt by others. Every valve rebuilt or replaced. Tank removed and mounts reworked and new rubber isolators. Sturctural cracks repaired at ladder saddles. Frame extensively repaired for cracks between pump house, trans, front spring shackles. The entire interior refurbished along with complete paint and restripe. Gold leaf was upgraded and all Catwalk or ATP replaced. Every light was upgraded to led as was the Siren Package. 24 inch step bumper completely reworked with dunage. Roughly 6 months. Got really tired of the same truck for a while.

Still cheaper than a new one.

And they do drive like a pig. The seats are horrible as is all lack of handling. Dropping a steering tire on any low shoulder is an automatic near death experience.

Give a fireman an anvil.....

There, I had to say it. :D

Haha! We have another good one, similar to that. Lock some firemen in a padded room with three bowling balls. One ball will be missing, the other will be broken, the third will be pregnant. The firemen will be gone, and no one will know what happened.

We had one of our quints get rear ended on I-40 last year in the snow. After all the body repairs were done, about a month ago, they discovered the waterway going from the aerial to the pump was shoved into the pump when it was wrecked. Now it looks like they're totaling it. Somebody is going to get a good deal on a quint.

Maulcruiser, you wouldn't happen to be on the hazmat team would you?

We had one of our quints get rear ended on I-40 last year in the snow. After all the body repairs were done, about a month ago, they discovered the waterway going from the aerial to the pump was shoved into the pump when it was wrecked. Now it looks like they're totaling it. Somebody is going to get a good deal on a quint.

Maulcruiser, you wouldn't happen to be on the hazmat team would you?
How in the hell wouldn't they find that early? The waterway is a telescopic rigid pole from end to end with some fancy couplings. It probably acted like a pogo stick with no springs.

Oh no, I stay far away from the glow worms. Rule of thumb for me. I'm Tactical Rescue, though.
Haha. I'm the A shift engineer on RRT-6. Thought I might've met you somewhere along the way. I've competed in the hazmat comp at safre the past 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How in the hell wouldn't they find that early? The waterway is a telescopic rigid pole from end to end with some fancy couplings. It probably acted like a pogo stick with no springs.
You'd think that would've been the first place to look. From the way it sounds it pretty much knocked the pump out of it. But that's way above my pay grade. And it went somewhere in VA instead of going to Anchor Richey.

I was just up at Sutphin on a pre-build rundown, and some guys from our shop were up there for mid build inspection. You may have have seen our new Blue baby on the line.

Should've bought a Pierce (never mind, they're pieces of shit too).

This could've been avoided if your ladder didn't have a pump :flipoff2:

Duane

Last edited:
I was just up at Sutphin on a pre-build rundown, and some guys from our shop were up there for mid build inspection. You may have have seen our new Blue baby on the line.

We didn't get to visit Sutphen Corp. in Columbus, OH. We went to Sutphen Towers in Hilliard, OH, and whatever designation the facility in Springfield, OH is.

Shoud've bought a Pierce (never mind, they're pieces of shit too).

This could've been avoided if your ladder didn't have a pump :flipoff2:

Duane

HAHA! Don't get me started on the over-complicated clusters that are Pierce. Now the aerials having pumps I will argue in favor of every single day. I've laid too many of my own supply lines from aerials for me to ever want to take the pump off.

Yeah I have been less than impressed with the Pierces I've operated. We run Ferraras, and they have been the least troublesome trucks I've been around. Good on Sutphen for stepping up and owning their mistake.

Duane

Yeah I have been less than impressed with the Pierces I've operated. We run Ferraras, and they have been the least troublesome trucks I've been around. Good on Sutphen for stepping up and owning their mistake.

Duane
Those Ferraras are built in Louisiana I think. LTI used to build ladders for ALF. I certified in Ladder repair inspection in Pennsylvania at their place. Those Ferraras are built really heavy in places and not up to Pierce almost to much techno flakiness. A lot of manufactures have just got plain out of hand with electronics and electric motor controls. Even for valves and pump shifting. The V-muck systems and PLC type control boards got rid of a lot of relays and solid state wiring but now a coding error or a feed back loop gone wanky shuts down a hole opperating system. Even the valves are getting over engineered and unreliable. Vacume testing one for pump recert anymore can lead to an absolute nightmare. An abundance of tiny leaks are the worse. Its one needle in a hay stack after another.

Yes they are built in Holden, La. In fact our first one was delayed for months because of Hurricane Katrina in 05.

Duane

Yes they are built in Holden, La. In fact our first one was delayed for months because of Hurricane Katrina in 05.

Duane
The few I worked on and under had massive frame work extensions for tailboards and bumper extensions. They appeared to be over all much heavier trucks. We upfitted and tricked out compartments on a few units. I liked the pump house simplicity and operator stations that I got to test and run.

Now that I think about it I repaired a front colision on one. Most are fairly coperative with a frame dozer. This one required more placement of heat and tonnage to staighten and replace some of the subframe.

I've had nothing but bad experiences from Sutphen. The dept I used to do vehicle maintenance for ordered an elliptical tanker. This was my worst experience. When it came in they said go check out the new tanker. I walked out into the bay and as soon as I looked at it, it was obvious there was a problem. The dump coming off the back was too low to clear a dump tank. It would clear without water in the tank. Then the paint flaked off the body because they didn't use the right primer. I had to send the truck to SC to basically have an add a leaf put on the rear.

As far as Pierce goes, my engine is a 2004 Pierce Dash with an ISM 400. It has 132k miles. I wouldn't trade it for any new truck for at least another 70k miles.

Back