Throwing Good Money After Bad?

robotdoc

Have a 91 Wrangler. Didn't realize it when I bought it but there is a crack in the left frame rail at the steering box. It can be fixed but it could cost as much as $700.00. We already replaced both front calipers and the power steering pump. I bought it for my son for his 16th birthday as a project car. I'm beginning to feel like I'm throwing away good money. Has anyone ever had a frame problem and if so how did it turn out? BTW, I'm new to this world and really don't know the cost of such things and how frequently they happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cracked frame is no big deal. The quote you got has got to be from a body/frame shop right. There are many aftermaket fixes availible (premade plates to weld to the frame and braces for the box) or you can take it to a good backyard jeep builder and they can fab the parts needed as they go.

As long as there isn't a problem w/ the box mount, take it to a welding shop and have them weld the crack and maybe add a plate or 2 for strength. They should know what to do. Be quite a bit cheaper then 700 bucks also.

Matt :huggy:

Back