Tie rod taper conversion?

shawn

running dog lackey of the oppressor class
Administrator
Does anybody make a sleeve or insert that can convert GM tie rod taper (1 in 7) to 9/16" bolt?

Wide end is .735, narrow end is .633. Drilling oversize is possible depending on how the sleeve works.

What do you gain by not just drilling it 3/4?
Need to get back to 9/16" somehow. Might could press a sleeve in, but suspect it would be better off welded just to eliminate any possible slop. If I'm gonna weld it, might as well just fill the hole and redrill... But seems like surely there's a better way.

I bought a tapered insert from Summit or Jegs, can’t remember. I used it for a track bar application cause it had been drilled for a 3/4 hiem and I needed it to be stock again.

I don’t remember the exact size, but there were options.

I can see by drilling though and then reversing (or lowering) the tie rod.
Its much better to have a tapered fitting for on street use, then drilling a 3/4" hole.
Off road, don't matter.
I suppose i should ask...... What are you trying to do?
This from above?
"In excellent option when using a larger GM 1 ton taper (.75" large end of taper, .68" small end) without buying an expensive tapered reamer. All you need is a 7/8" drill bit, drill your knuckles to 7/8" bore and drop these in. Can be used for either over the knuckle or under the knuckle steering. You will need 1 insert per tie rod end to complete your steering installation."
R1468-full.jpg

/
Heres anouther one, less (smaller bolt) shorter ?
TRE_INSERT_SPEC_CHART-2_.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a tapered insert from Summit or Jegs, can’t remember. I used it for a track bar application cause it had been drilled for a 3/4 hiem and I needed it to be stock again.

Trying to do the opposite of that.
suppose i should ask...... What are you trying to do?
Trying to put a 9/16" bolt where a 1/7 taper used to be. The hole is a fair bit bigger than 9/16", though

Just drill it out bigger and drive in a sleeve and tack it in if you're worried about it coming loose.

I think I would drill a 3/4" hole in the knuckle, then use a 1" drill bit to drill a very small taper on the top. Insert a 3/4" OD x 9/16" ID spacer in the hole and tack weld it in place.

Edit:. Jeepinmatt beat me to it.

Was that on a tan tj? Drilling that out nearly broke my wrists.lol

Trying to do the opposite of that.

Trying to put a 9/16" bolt where a 1/7 taper used to be. The hole is a fair bit bigger than 9/16", though
No, the current TJ that I own (soon to sell)
I used my drill and a jack lol.
1632616543682.png

Back