tilt steering

kota'sXJ

my craptastic jeeps tilt steering column decided to come loose. does anyone know where i can find instructions on how to change it or can anyone tell me how?

So the tilt mechanism is broken? Don't know anything about Jeeps, but I've broken the tilt in my Bronco three times. The first time I just swapped in a column from the junk yard, but the next time I broke it I couldn't find a decent replacement column, which forced me to repair the one I had. In my case that turned out to be both quicker and easier, not to mention cheaper. It turned out to be a $12 part, and it took less than an hour to install. You should give tearing down the column a shot to see if you can find the problem.

Apparently this is pretty common on the GM columns Jeep used until they started with airbag Chrysler columns (mid 90s), at least that's what I found after googleing it the first time. Instead of tearing it apart, I just swapped in another one I had. Well, this one has loosened up, so I will tear into it soon. Do not let it go for long, it starts out loose, but once it lets go, there will be 4-5 inches of play in the steering wheel, not fun.

Apparently this is pretty common on the GM columns Jeep used until they started with airbag Chrysler columns (mid 90s), at least that's what I found after googleing it the first time. Instead of tearing it apart, I just swapped in another one I had. Well, this one has loosened up, so I will tear into it soon. Do not let it go for long, it starts out loose, but once it lets go, there will be 4-5 inches of play in the steering wheel, not fun.
to late for that.... its not even safe to drive now because every time you go turn the steering wheel just flops around

Back