Time for Trailer Tires

kaiser715

Doing hard time
I have been lucky. Put new tires on my flatbed trailer in 2015, and still running the same 4 tires. Not even a nail. Prior to that, I think I was buying a new tire every long trip. Went thru a mix of Trailer King, Carlisle, Firestone, etc. This is a 10k flatbed car hauler. Often have 9-10k+ total weight. Probably run anywhere from 1 to 3000 miles in any given year.

For the last 9 years, have run the Maxxis M8008 ST225/75R15 LR E. Thinking of the same tire again, at about $140 each. I think their ST tires are made in Thailand.

But... the Transeagle load range F tires look good for about $120 each.

Anybody have opinions/experience with either Maxxis or Transeagle? I am betting my Maxxis experience was 90% good luck and clean living.

@77GreenMachine
@IN2JEEPN
@Croatan_Kid

...because I searched "transeagle" and posts from you three came up.

I've had good luck with the Carlisle Radial Trail HD on my car trailer so far. Although I've probably only put 5k miles on them since I installed them.

Another Carlisle owner here. Stock trailer, flat trailer and triple axle toy hauler. All have been phenomenal. Biggest key I’ve found is keep them out of the dirt (moisture) and keep them out of the sun when parked.

I’ve been a fan of the maxxis for many yrs. Multiple trailers and my camper, only had one failure ever. Always had good mileage out of them. Took the camper on a 6000 mile 2 wk trip and didn’t even lose one, still kinda surprised by that one lol.

I have lot of miles down some crazy roads on my Transeagles. They still look great and no flats. Technically, I had a flat last week but turns out it’s my rim. Tire is still good.
my camper is 13k and some change, been down as many gravel roads as it has paved, scrubbed sideways on hard turns all the time, and run in 100°+ temps for hours on end.
Will 100% run them in the future on trailers. Bonus points for a G rated tire for a 15” wheel.

@Curtis_H wound up buying a set as well.

We got a bad batch of tires from a local distributor (I think they were Carlisle, it was a long time ago). 3 trailers all got new tires around the same time and we had multiple failures on all. Switched to Maxxis after than and no issues.

I have Maxxis and Goodyear for my current trailer. It's factory Castle Rocks blew up and goodyears were what I could get on the road to Moab.

I'm running Transeagle load range E's on mine now. Been on since August and so far, they are doing well. Based on how they are doing now, I would buy them again.

I usually buy Carlisle unless a tire fails on the road and I have to purchase whatever the local tire shop has. Generally speaking they are decent tires. Those Maxxis tires come up all the time so I am sure they are also a decent tire.

I am surprised by the love for Carlisle here. It appears they really came around and make a decent tire. 15 years ago, everybody was bashing them bad on the RV and boat forums. I just expected more of the same.

I am surprised by the love for Carlisle here.
Like anything it's touch and go.
2017 My brand new trailer blew 2 tires on the way to Moab. In Moab I bought a set of Carlisle tires, and pulled it back to NC. 2 trips to AOP, two to windrock, several to Potts, then traded Jason the trailer. He pulled it all over the world, and sold it, and I believe those tires were still on it when the person Jason sold it to sold it again. We couldn't kill those tires.

I got another set for the bigger trailer and they're still on it I believe.

When I have to replace my current trailers tires it will be carlisle. But..I've heard a few people that had bad experiences.

Side note: I've never purchased from Amazon. I buy my Carlisles from my tire guy in Wallburg.

The TransEagles are pretty stout. My buddy runs them on his mower trailer. I think it's pretty cool that they offer higher load ratings than standard.

That being said, I have Ironmans in the 17.5" flavor on my gooseneck. One of the original Double Coins blew out, but it also had a vibration in it from day one and they were 7 years old when it let go.

My trailer tires will generally age out and dry rot before I ever wear them out, so I just plan on replacing them every 5 or 6 years regardless.

I saw on the Discount Tire site that the Maxxis M8008 Plus only has a speed rating of 62. Then see 87 and others on other sites. Go to Maxxis site, they don't even give a speed rating for it.

Then found this reply on the webs from Maxxis, when somebody asked them about it:

On M8008, i wrote and asked them as they say M8008 is a high speed tire. Here is there answer.
To ensure your reply reaches the proper destination, do not modify or remove the subject line of this email.
Nick,
"High Speed" is used to differentiate the M8008 ST Radial from other products we offer that are intended for industrial and/or commercial use, in slow speed applications. The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial carries a "Q" speed rating. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
--
Maxxis International – USA
Email: MaxxisSupport@maxxis.com | Web: maxxis.com
--

And also this:

the maxxis response left out at least one important bit of info. Maxxis says the tires carry a Q speed rating. BUT the load rating is for the ST rating at 65mph.

What the response from maxxis didn't state is for the Q rating what is the load rating?? I suspect it is substantially lower than the ST rating load.

They are indirectly giving info in that at the 75mph speed the load rating goes down noticeably based in the increased tire pressure needed. and at 85mph it drops even further.

I bought Carlisles for my trailer from Discount Tire. Like @Croatan_Kid mine get old before they wear out, so I didn't feel like spending a lot of money on a big name brand. It's been three years and a few thousand miles with no issues, a fair bit of those miles at 80mph+

Duane

Back